2012 CAAD10

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Horizons

by Horizons

New here so i hope i'm doing this right, here we go:

I want to give my 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 a major overhaul.

I bought it in early 2012 without any knowledge of road bikes, i only rode track bikes then and going geared made sense.
The guy at the bike shop insisted that got the 105 model with a triple crankset. Which i regretted 2 weeks after, i live in the Netherlands so there's absolutely no point for that third ring. More importantly having a triple on a race bike looks all kinds of wrong as well. Plus they setup the bike poorly which ended in back and knee issues within a few weeks.

After two years of riding it like that it's time for something new, the weight and lack of stiffness of the current setup is starting to bother me and i want to start racing this season.

</csb>

I have a general idea of what i want but am still debating about some components:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Frame: Cannondale CAAD10 58 (56st / 58tt)
Fork: Cannondale CAAD10

Headset: Stock Tange
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL, 140mm -6º
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL88, 44cm
Tape: CA DNC

Front brake: Sram Force 22
Rear brake: Sram Force 22
Levers: Sram Force 22
Front derailleur: Sram Force 22
Rear derailleur: Sram Force 22
Cassette: Sram Force 22 - 11-26
Chain: Sram
Crankset: Sram Force 22 - 175mm
Chainrings: Sram Force 22
Bottom bracket: Sram Force 22 bb30

Pedals: Look Keo Blade 2 Cr
Wheels:
Tyres: Continental GP4000S 700x23c

Saddle: Fi'zi:k Arione
Seatpost: Zipp Service Course SL (20mm setback)

Misc:
Elite Sior Evo bottle cages
Kaptajn Sadeltaske
Garmin 510
SRAM Quickview mount

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Groupset is either going to be Force 22 or Red 22. The reason i want to ditch Shimano for SRAM is mainly because it don't like the brake lever that 'swivels' on Shimano shifters. I like the idea of the loud shifting of SRAM and the Yaw FD sounds like it's a lot less hassle than trimming. (But that might be because trimming with a triple is kinda awkward and sometimes causes it to jump to the smallest chainring) I've never ridden SRAM or Campagnolo though so i have no clue how either performs on the road.
I really like the look of Red 22 but going for Force saves me a lot of money which i can put into a fancy crankset (SiSl2, Rotor) and/or power meter.

For the wheels i was initially thinking about Zipp 101's to match the other Zipp components but HED belgiums laced to r45's (24/28) seem like a better choice. As the 101's seem quite heavy and expensive. I definitely want 23mm wide rims for 25c tyres.

Since i'm used to riding a really heavy bike weight is not too important as it's going to feel a lot lighter anyway but if i can get it around the 7kg mark that would be neat.

Any input is appreciated!

-Robert
Last edited by Horizons on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinko

by martinko

Hello, I will keep an eye on your topic. I also have 2012 CAAD10 in black/white scheme. What color do you have?
I plan to rebuilt it from 105 as well, was thinking about Force. But I have decided (but I can still change it) for complete Ultegra. I don't like FSA very much, so I will ditch original crankset too.

As I see it, there are two ways: make the CAAD complete American (frame, sram, zipp cockpit and wheels) or not. The only thing I don't like about Force is design of brake levers. They seem to me very long. I want my levers be little bit bulky (yeah, Shimano) and long enough, not too much, not short either. Even though I would really like to try that Yaw FD. And SRAM will save you more grams :-)

And, where are the photos? ;-)

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Force 22 with Hollowgram+Spider-rings

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

wpccrunner wrote:Force 22 with Hollowgram+Spider-rings

This......but I am admittedly biased

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Horizons

by Horizons

martinko wrote:What color do you have?

Matte black with white logo's and grey accents.
martinko wrote:The only thing I don't like about Force is design of brake levers. They seem to me very long. I want my levers be little bit bulky (yeah, Shimano) and long enough, not too much, not short either.

Sram hoods feel the same as 5700 and 6800 in terms of size, if not a bit bigger atmo.
martinko wrote:And, where are the photos? ;-)

I'll post some pics whenever i make any progress with the build, as the current state is anything but special.

martinko

by martinko

I have the same color scheme and it looks like you are building it in way I originally thought of. :-) good luck

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Black Flag fan, huh? Welcome!

If you are happy conceptually with SRAM, then Force 22 will serve you quite well. Red is a whole lot more money for quite similar performance, and if you are overhauling the whole bike you're likely better served by saving some coin and putting it towards other components.

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, CRC is having a pretty decent sale right now.

Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

incredibleting

by incredibleting

Hey, you linked to an older build of my caad10! The most up to date build is in my sig, if you want to take a look at the changes I've made to it since.