ICAN AC066 (FM-066SL) build - all parts w pics and weights!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

Wheels.

These are 2014 Farsports 23mm wide 50mm profile full carbon UD matte clincher rims with slightly rounded (i.e. not pure "V") shape and high temperature resin braking surface, on Bitex RAR13 "Edhubs" with 20/24 bladed spokes and 2:1 lacing in the rear.

I had Farsports make them without spoke holes (see 3rd pic) to be ready for tubeless once a good tire solution has been found.

Spoke tension isn't 100% even, but the wheels have been straight and true for 3000km and 60000 vertical meters so far.

I really love these wheels and would buy them again without hesitation. They even saw some gravel with 29mm Vittorias.

Braking with the supplied "ceramic" pads is abysmal, but the original SRAM Force 22 (by Swisstop) pads work fine, although they do wear fast. However, I switched to cheapo carbon-specific cork-looking pads I got for cents off ebay that work well too, and I'm still on the 1st set. Got 3 sets.

Farsports 2014 23mm wide 50mm carbon wheels: 1329 grams

Last edited by Marin on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Farsports 2014 ceramic brake pads for Shimano/SRAM - 20 grams per brake:

SRAM Force 22 brake pads by Swisstop - 11 grams per brake:

Front wheel with Continental GP 4000 S 25mm, Continental Supersonic tube, Cateye spoke magnet, Schwalbe 31mm Valve extender and Titanium QR - 907 grams

Rear wheel with Continental GP 4000 S 25mm, Continental Supersonic tube , Schwalbe 31mm Valve extender, SRAM Sram PG-1170 Wifli 11-32 cassette and Titanium QR - 1347 grams

Note spoke washers.

Last edited by Marin on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

I should have made the pics a bit smaller - sorry for that, I exported them from my mobile which is a bit of a PITA.

Marin

by Marin

I went for a dual color black/pink bar tape scheme. You can see it in the pic of the complete front wheel above, matte/soft pink tops, glossy perforated black drops. The soft Deda tape is comfortable if a bit fragile and gets dirty quickly. I had good success cleaning it with a sponge and soapy water, but I'm considering switching to Lizard Skins DSP which I have on my CX/Gravel Tourer/communter - the DSP is really nice, but for the price, it better had be!

Deda Mistral black bar tape full set with plugs - 67 grams

Deda pink bar tape full set with plugs - 61 grams

Not used - minus 76 grams :D

Marin

by Marin

That's it for now, now I need to find the rest of the pics which are on my proper camera, and take a beauty shot of the finished bike.

dogg

by dogg

pics are the perfect size imo. sweet build tho, \i quite fancy those wheels

moshinho

by moshinho

Do you have more pics?

titchegg

by titchegg

This is shaping up to be a great build, I love the look of the frame and your parts selection! :)

Where did you get the stem from?

Marin

by Marin

It's a Kalloy uno seven off ebay. There's a thread about these on here.

titchegg

by titchegg

Thanks Marin - I'll get hunting. :D
Can't wait to see your build take shape, looks great!

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for the comments so far!

The kickoff for the build was that I sold my Nikon DSLR gear and with the proceeds bought a smaller, smarter camera (Lumix LX 7) and this bike. I wanted to keep the photo quality as high as in the 1st few pics in the thread, but since the bike was built, I've been too busy riding it and never too proper staged & lit photos. To start with, the bike was never clean enough!

So without further ado, here are some mobile phone pics I took of my '066 during the year:

Marin

by Marin

Weight of the current configuration (topmost picture, the one with the lights mounted) is 6,5kg.

This includes my Time Xpresso 10 pedals and 2 bottle holders mounted, but not the lights, seat pack or bottles of course.

Force 22 11-28 cassette, Force 22 crankset with OEM chainrings and 25mm tires front and rear, so it should be easy to drop 350g by changing to Red 22 cassette & crank, lighter chainrings and Conti Force/Attack, which might or might not be in the future of this build. It's plenty fast already!

Oh, and an even lighter wheelset maybe. Still clinchers though.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Pink tape on tops, much better look :)

ophiravina

by ophiravina

very nice bike, what is the aero road bar in the pics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com