Kuota KOM Equipe 2009 rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For about three or four years, the Kuota KOM has been my most coveted (carbon) frame, but out my reach, when considered prudently. Some time ago, though, a mostly cosmetically damaged specimen showed up on Ebay, in my size. For a low three digit figure I couldn't let this slip, and the repair was only like 50.

One thing that changed, though, is my affinity to bike bling, so this is going to be a rather subtle -- cheap looking, if you insist -- build, with mostly metal parts. Planning on Deda kit and Shimano Dura Ace/Ultegra/105 "parts bin mix" group.

Very much looking forward to getting this build going. The only (carbon) frames that could tempt me in the years to come would be Colnago C59, or Look 695 Mondrian, I suppose. One can but dream.

Sub-7 should be possible, although (sorry) this build is about subtlety, consistency, and reliability. Pics coming.
Last edited by HillRPete on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theosaurus

by theosaurus

Looking forward to this, you don't need anodized or carbon parts to make a bike look good.
Which wheels are you going for?
yes, but how much does it weigh?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

theosaurus: I'll be running my trusty 44mm Yishun tubulars. There is some desire for shallower 24mm tubulars building, though.

Frame size XL with hardware¹: 1053g
Fork with bottom headset race² and expander³: 392g
Subtotal: 1445g

For the finishing kit I'm considering two options:
  • Silver Deda Quattro stem with Newton Deep or Speciale 31 handlebars and Metal Stick post (RS01 post is over 300g). Silver Newton Deep and Speciale 31 are quite hard to find, though.
  • Deda "Dark Metal Polish" Zero 100 stem, Newton Anatomic handlebars, and Zero 100 seatpost. Matching Zero 100 bars are a bit rare, so I'm warming up to the idea of an anatomic shape, and with a stem angle smaller than 17° I need more drop anyway.

¹ Seatpost clamp, barrel adjusters, BB bottom cable guide, 4x bottle cage bolts
² Pressed on/stuck
³ Glued in
Attachments
image-4-720.jpg
Last edited by HillRPete on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bura

by bura

Was my most desired frame,too.
Best decision made to purchase a KOM.
So looking forward to your built.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Meanwhile I'm having the hardest time finding an oversize clamp silver Deda handlebar, regardless of it being any of the Newton models, or the Speciale 31. For the "dark metal polished" colourway old stock is available, not so much for the plain silver ones.
Last edited by HillRPete on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bura

by bura

Wassertreter, thought it is of importance to mention that my KOM (evo) frame has a "strange" size below the seat post clamp .It measures 36.30mm. This was the reason why a Token clamp with 34.9 I had in my spares did not fit.
So Kuota has made this area a little bit stronger than other manufacturers with same sized seat posts.
May be this is a good idea .
Though was quite happy because I like one piece clamps and had to order a 36.9mm at Carbon Ti to fit the 36.3 of the KOM.
So if you want to get rid of your very heavy Kuota clamp take care not to order a 34.9 dia.
But not sure if the 36.3mm outer dia of my KOM frame is also current for your frame.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Good info, cheers bura.

About the cockpit, I couldn't get to a satisfactory solution with Deda parts (no polished handlebar found / ditched the "dark metal" ano idea), so I'm going for plain BBB parts. BBB have polished handlebars in classic and anatomic shapes, stem in 6 and 17° and seatposts. And the best of all, it's a "cheap" brand, typically associated with warehouse bikes, thus very much in line with the lo-fi¹ goal of this build. The weight of their parts seems on par with typical aluminium kit.

About the wheels, here we have two 32mm FIR aluminium tubular front wheels that were used by Kelme in TTs back in the day. To the extent of my knowledge they were not commercially available. Need to get them polished, and then maybe drill extra holes into one for a rear 18:9 triplet lacing on a 36h hub. Would be quite something.

(Via http://www.procyclingphotos.com/vuelta_ ... _005.shtml )

¹ with a twist
Attachments
image-1-720.jpg
kelme.jpg

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Got the BBB anatomic handlebars (248g) and seatpost (lotsofgrams), will try with the 100mm Deda Quattro stem (also lotsofgrams) and then decide what length BBB stem to get.

Still tempted to try a Deda Newton Deep, though.
Attachments
kit-720.jpg

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Since I had a used RD-7800 on stash, it was too hard to not get a matching used FD. Since I'm going to run 50/34 chainrings, I'm hoping the FD will handle that gracefully -- the spec'd capacity is only 15t.

Attachments
dura-ace-720.jpg

bura

by bura

Everything seems to match up today.
Looking forward to your complete built.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Not sure the wheels will be ready in time for the build, but can't harm to have the hubs on the cupboard, they are quite hard to find at a reasonable price.

PS: all the cheering makes me want to look for DA 7800 brakes and pedals too, although I had planned to use my 6600 ones from the parts bin.
Attachments
hubs-720.jpg
Last edited by HillRPete on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

oakes2004

by oakes2004

DA is sooo cool!
Looking forward to seeing this

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Undecided on this one, might fit the monochrome/polish scheme or just look completely ridiculous (or both). Saddles with a spoiler in the rear and a relief channel fit me very well, particularly when riding in the drops. The Fizik Aliante Versus in white/silver is another candidate, or the Aspide I've been riding for a few years, but would like to try something a little wider, for the longest days.

(This is a Fizik Vesta "Bicycle Relief" edition, weighing 279g)
Attachments
saddle-720.jpg