Hello everybody at WW - Madone 6.9 build @ 6,5kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Quicksilver

by Quicksilver

I'm living in Austria and make my living as a graphic designer. Got infected with building bikes about 2 years ago. WW-virus was catching me quite instantely when having funds available.

This is my third and most successful attempt setting up a decent bike.

Components so far.

Frame & fork: Madone 6.9
Shifting & Chain: SRAM Red
Cassette: SRAM XG-1090 12-28
Crank: Fulcrum RRS Compact
Stem/Steerer Combo: Cinelli RAM 2
Brakes: Bontrager XXX
Saddle: Bontrager Paradigm XXX
Wheels: Back AX SRT-42, Front X-Treme Matrix Elite
Tires: Vittoria

Haven't put too much milage on it, so fit has to be made later this spring. Proper pedals still to come.
Wanted to go sub 6, but don't have to much of an idea how to?
Seatpost not possible due to need of setback. I read this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39722&p=792814&hilit=isp+addict#p792814
Fitting Clavicula seems to end up with shitty BB solution. The RAM 2 is a keeper due to optical reasons. So I'm pretty stuck at 6,5 but not too unhappy with that.

Not shire about rim design. Get decals for back or get rid of sticker on front? What are your opinions?

Greets Christian

Last edited by Quicksilver on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carbon statt Kondition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theosaurus

by theosaurus

Nice Build! I think the wheels look much better without stickers.
As for ways to save weight you could try: ti quick release, I link cables, Tires? and Pedals!
Little stuff adds up as well like: bolts, lockring, spacers, top cap, etc...
yes, but how much does it weigh?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Yeah just de-badge the front wheel and get some decently light pedals. 105 or Ultegra are decent without breaking the bank.

Elrey

by Elrey

TI-expander
used Speedplays
Planet-X QR
Light top cap and bolt

^
all pretty easy to change and doesn't cost that much.

Consider:
Powercordz break cables and housing or Yokozuna
Lighter wheels. A set of [url]http://www.farsports.cn/product/detail.php/id-142.html]FSC38-CM[/url] and you are very close to sub6

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nice bike. A couple of things for you to consider:

(1) Remove the stickers from the wheels
(2) Use a shorter valvestem. No need to have that much stem sticking out. While you're at it, remove the Schraeder/Presta adapter. No need to keep that on all the time. Carry one with you in your pack, and use if necessary.
(3) Ditch the pedals. You are spending money on pricey parts, but using $5 platforms? C'mon!
(4) Crank: the Fulcrums are in essence, Campag cranks. Although lightweight, they require more parts that just the standard SRAM crank (you need a seal seat, as well). You may want to look into getting a SRAM crank to save on weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quicksilver

by Quicksilver

Thanks to everybody for chiming in. I just painfully realized, that going sub 6 requires massive attention to detail. No big steps to be made. It's about shaving off grams and sometimes sacrificing everyday usability.

1. As I already wrote in my opening post proper pedals are to come. Does anyone know a lightweight SPD combi pedal (1 side SPD one side flat)? I want to get those, because I often use the bike for short commuting rides with regular shoes.
All my other bikes have SPD as well - so I don't wanna change system.
Maybe Eggbeaters with click-on plate for street shoes are the way to go? Will check out Speedplay as well.

2. Everybody advises to remove decals. I think i will do so. Have to get rid of the spray over first :evil: .

3. Style police is absolutely right regarding the valve stems and the presta adapters. Will remove those and paint stems black for a beginning. Don't wanna remove tires - could I change the extensions without unmounting tires?. I promise I do better next time ;-)

4. Rims @ elray: These rims are quite light. Set shouldn't weigh in over 1050g. So the far sports you mentioned are not an upgrade option with slightly over 1300g. Tires are 255g each - so there is room for improvement but those are brand new and seem to hold up well and I like the looks.

5. Will get TI-QR.

6. OK will check cap, bolt and expander. Spacers are carbon already.

7. How much can one save with lighter cables? Can anyone provide an estimate?

8. Crank. Hmmm. BB90 doesn't accept 30 mm spindles. But old SRAM Red (756) is heavier than Fulcrum (696g).
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/save-s ... 64451.html
One way to go would be Mythic Carbon crank. But that is big money to spend.

I think I will have done the little things: QR, screws, bolts, pedals maybe cables, Extralite chainrings. Hope to leave 200g behind.

Have a nice day
Carbon statt Kondition.