Cipollini RB1K: a short lived affair....ISP CRACKED :( pp 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

maverick_1

by maverick_1

So sorry to hear about the cracked ISP.

Question:
Did the crack occured at where the seatpost wedge was located?
The carbon ISP wall thickness is rather thick (approx 1-1.5mm) quite rare that a crack on the ISP would occur unless the wedge clamp causes it.

kgt

by kgt

It is really one of those cracks that can not occur 'just like that'. Unless there was a really rare manufacturing issue from the start.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

+1

Hope you'll get it sorted out with the LBS.
one thing I have to share is that Cipollini's after sales support is one of the worst ever.
Sent two messages via the website, both times unanswered.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

ISP is not an issue - I have a Scott Addict R1 and ride it now for the 5th year and still happy with the ISP - even on cobbles and bad roads. I think it's brand specific, or there must be a problem with the torque specs that come with the frameset. Hope you will get a refund or a new frame, because this is a sad beautiful frame... :cry:

paradawt

by paradawt

Oh so unlucky man.

I agree with PinaRene.

ISP do not crack so easy... I hope warranty change the frame.
Berria Belador 7

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Cheers guys...we shall see what they say... :(

@ Maverick & kgt: yes the crack is around the clamp area and it developed really really slowly, say over 6-7 weeks or so, from a seemingly paint issue it developed into a crack. As for torque, mine was set very conservatively. What did you set yours at? Also sent question to Cipo website a while ago and got no answer....

@ PinaRene. Addicts are great frames, I just don't get ISPs in general (travelling is an hassle, no obvious benefits, more weight vs. lightweight post etc)....

Above all, I question this specific Cipo ISP with a wedge that expands inside the carbon. Surely that creates an area of stress which could be avoided?
For instance by having the clamp mechanism at the top like most manufacturers do, and save weight to boot. Anyway, i am no engineer but I wonder if there have been other cases out there.
Last edited by vlastrada on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@vlastrada

We ride the same size, I'm on the XS as well. Frame was purchased late of 2012.
Yours is probably the later model, as it comes with improved BB cable routing for mechanical.

Here's my take on the Cipo seatpost wedge clamp.
There's an aluminum sleeve between the carbon ISP and the seatpost wedge. At first, I mounted the sleeve the opposite way. If that happens, you may end up using a higher torque than usual to secure the carbon wedge clamp. I only noticed that mistake when I realized abnormal scars at the edge of the ISP, paint chips etc. Removed the Alu sleeve, rotated it 180 deg and mounted it the correct way.
If mounted correctly, the correct side of the Alu sleeve will 'seat' into the ISP deeper, hence it won't be possible for the wedge to move after tightening the wedge bolt. Additionally you require less torque as well.

Ps: I'm an engineer :)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

kgt wrote:It is really one of those cracks that can not occur 'just like that'. Unless there was a really rare manufacturing issue from the start.

Of course not. He leant it up against a wall and it fell over.

plasticol

by plasticol

:?: That is a beautiful frame. Sorry to hear about your problem, let s hope that Cipo USA will respond appropriately.
I was seriously considering buying that frame, but decided for the less expensive C59 instead (which I am very happy with by the way).
Your opinion about the ISP is about right but I guess the main reason they are so popular is that they look great and so many things in cycling are about looks after all.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Valbrona wrote:
kgt wrote:It is really one of those cracks that can not occur 'just like that'. Unless there was a really rare manufacturing issue from the start.

Of course not. He leant it up against a wall and it fell over.

The crack wouldn't look like that if that were the case. Trust me, I'm also an engineer

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Very sorry to hear about the crack, it was a beautiful looking bike! Hopefully Cipollini / their US distributor come to the party.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Gorgeous bike. SO sorry to hear about the crack.
Maybe you can fix it with some angel tears.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Elrey

by Elrey

I really hope, you don't end up like him. The best of luck to you!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I haven't ridden a Cipollini or a fake one. However, I've ridden a Pinarello Dogma and Chinarello Dogma. They are night and day difference in ride quality. Just because a chinese knock off doesn't fall apart doesn't mean it's a good frame. Also why buy a knock off when you can buy an open mold frame which rides better than the knock off for about the same price as the knock off?

There's a lot more to frames than just weight and looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Fantastic looking frame there Viastrada, I hope you get things sorted quickly.