Cervelo R3 2011 - Finished build (page 2)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Smithmi81

by Smithmi81

I have been looking at the forum now for a few months, and have finally got around to registering to the site. I’m a Helicopter structural design engineer so have a slight interest in this kind of stuff. I’m not 100% weight weenie but obviously understand the benefits for having a light weight bike although there is most probably more weight to be lost on me!

I haven't been riding that long, originally purchased a Planet X SL pro carbon (sram red) with the intention to upgrade the frame as and when I get into riding more. Only a few months later I’m totally hooked and decided that this time of year is ideal to buy a new frame. So treated myself to an early Christmas present a few weeks ago a Cervelo R3 and ended up buying a set of wheels as well mavic ksyrium yksion limited edition 10th anniversary wheels due to the deal that was sold to me was so tempting.

I have taken all of the sram red components off the Planet X and rebuild using a 2nd hand tiagra group set (using this for commuting, winter training and turbo session). I’ve also cleaned up all of the sram bits and ordered a few new parts for the Cervelo.

Frame (With pretty much everything attached) - 926g

Forks (un-cut) - 384g

Seat post 3T Dorico Team - 234g

Bar 3T Ergosum Team - 210g

BB Rotor Press fit BBright - 109g

SRAM Read Shifters - 298g

SRAM Red Rear Derailleur - 146g

SRAM Red Front Derailleur - 70g

Brakes Ultra Light CNC (Including Pads) - 199g

Headset Cane Creek (supplied with frame - 63g

Rear Cassette SRAM 10 PG-1070 - 238g

Wheels Mavic Ksyrium Yksion - 2220g Tyres, tubes fully inflated (sorry no picture)

Picture of the frame with wheels

The following parts are still required

* Rotor 3D+ BBright crank
* 3T Arx Team Stem
* Also will be getting the SRAM red rear cassette (nearly 100g lighter the the one I have)
* SRAM 1090R Chain

I will hopefully be getting the bike built later this month. Finished weight should be around 6.5kg.
Last edited by Smithmi81 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tylerjandreau

by tylerjandreau

#1) Nice bike, welcome to the forum.
#2) I find it hard to believe that a Helicopter designer would misspell Helicopter :lol:
#3) Avoid the SRAM Red Cassette, it is too damn loud and doesn't wear well. Your force one is the best blend of performance, wear, and cost.
#4) I look forward to the rest of your build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Smithmi81

by Smithmi81

Edited the spelling lol, well spotted. I'm going to use the excuse that I was rushing a little and it was a typo.

What would cassette would you suggest other than the force one?

tylerjandreau

by tylerjandreau

I personally like the DA 7800 cassette. The SRAM Red cassette with lockring is about 180 grams and the Dura Ace cassette I think is about 185. The 7800 is fully comparable with the SRAM chain you want to use ( the 7900 one is not ) and the 7800 cassette is cheaper than the Red.

I have a lightly used one I can sell you for 70 bucks :lol:

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

1. Welcome.

2. Not a WW... but you weigh every bit of the bike... :wink:

Stop with the denial! Admit your weenie-ness! :mrgreen:

Nice bike, by the way!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Smithmi81

by Smithmi81

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I am a little bit of a weeenie, although I thought why everything is off the bike it's an ideal opportunity to weigh everything (seeing as it's the done thing on here). It is interesting how close manufacturers are with their weight estimates, its also useful when looking at new components (for example it's always nice to know if you can shed a few grams when upgrading parts).

Although I do find some of the 'extreme' weight loss bike very interesting where parts are modified etc. (I won't be going that far with mine!)

bwindsurfin

by bwindsurfin

I would trade out that Sram Red Front derailleur, unless they fixed the shifting issues everyone is having. I run force or even rival before red on the front D.

tylerjandreau

by tylerjandreau

bwindsurfin wrote:I would trade out that Sram Red Front derailleur, unless they fixed the shifting issues everyone is having. I run force or even rival before red on the front D.

I would agree with that....

jmoote

by jmoote

Your weight for the seatpost will be off as it's on the scale with the shipping spacers in place.

Smithmi81

by Smithmi81

Slight update, I've decided to go for the dura ace chain over the 1090r purchased that today and will just run the cassette I currently have for the moment.

Just removed the seat post spacers and the only weigh 1-2 grams each although the post still seems a little heavy similar to the 3t bar.

I will be purchasing the rotor crank asap and cables either nokon or gore depending on my finances.

micky

by micky

Welcome and the bike seems to be coming along pretty nicely!

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Thanks for weighing everything! Looking forward to seeing the finished build.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I am running SRAM Red on a newly built bike and am not experiencing any shifting issues. Have Dura Ace on my other bike, and don't find much difference on FD's.
My Red FD shifts from small to big ring with no hesitation or missed shifts yet (1200km)
Set it up parallel to chainrings with 3mm gap above big ring.
Maybe I'm just lucky and maybe SRAM has fixed it.
I am rather fussy when it comes to gear set up, and changing between a DA bike I'm sure I would notice any major discrepancy.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

jmilliron

by jmilliron

+1

My six month old SRAM Red FD has been fantastic for the over 3,000 miles I've ridden it.

I'd say they've fixed whatever issue the Red FD had.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Smithmi81

by Smithmi81

Quick Update

As above, I never had any problems shifting with my Red FD, although I have only done a 1000 or so miles on it.

I have ordered the final bits for the bike this week,

* Rotot 3D+ Cervelo BBright Crankset (should have the cervelo logo on the crank arms) - delivery est 1st week in Feb
* SRAM BBright ceramic bearing (nearly twice as much money as I was expecting!) - delivery est 1st week in Feb
* Yokozuna Cables - Turned up yesterday The whole kit weighed just under 300g although there is a lot more cable than I will need for the bike build
* 3T Team bar tape black - delivery expected next week
* 3T ARX Team stem will order sunday after a bike fit on my old bike.

I then just have to sort my bottle cages out then book in in to be built in Feb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com