Long time lurker (7 years) Here's my 2017 Cannondale Evo 2 eTap 6.7kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

byron505

by byron505

Whats going on guys!

Long time lurker and club mate from SFCC got me to finally register. (hi Jim)
Obviously have run across this forum since i started cycling/racing in 2010 but stopped after breaking my arm in Wisconsin at the Tour of America's Dairylands 2016.

Just got my every day wheels in the mail the other day, so i figure now is a good time to introduce myself now that I'm happy with the bike as a whole.

Byron - San Francisco

have had the pleasure of riding/abusing a lot of rad bikes throughout the years:
Trek Madone 4, 5, 6, 7
OG Ritte Bosberg
Cannondale Supersix Standard Mod
Cervelo R3
A couple Nielpryde Alize
Most recently a Storck Aernario Limited edition (out of 200)
I can confidently say that this Cannondale is THE BEST bike i've ever gotten to ride
Last edited by byron505 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FS 2018 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap with 90's Cannondale Track paint | 60cm | ??kg
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap | 60cm | 6.7kg
Instagram: @byron505

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

byron505

by byron505

Build:
2017 Cannondale Evo2 Hi-Mod 60cm
SRAM Red e-Tap
SRAM Red Quarq 177.5
Ritchey x Cadence c260 Flow Stem 130mm
Ritchey Streem 2 carbon bars 42cm
2017 HED Ardennes FR wheelset with SRAM Red 11-28t cassette
KMC x11sl Gold chain
Generic Chinese Bottle Cages (do not suggest, they rip off bottle paint/design)
Jagwire metal braided brake housing (solves Evo issue of splitting brake hoses)
Generic 0 offset chinese carbon seatpost with cannondale seatpost guts
Specialized Phenom Pro saddle 143
Speedplay Zero stainless pedals replaced with Ti axles
Schwalbe 1 25c tires

So nothing really is too fancy and think i've managed to piece together a very reasonable, every-day bike for all riding. Don't have any more goals to drop weight (not too sure where to do it other than going with a better seatpost which i cant find, saddle, and non aero carbon bars).

Also no interest in carbon clinchers with most my riding being in early morning damp conditions with a lot of descending. I wanted a super lightweight alu clincher wheelset.

Got them off of mybikeshop at a screaming 20% off deal (under 800 shipped).
Hed claims 1390 grams for their wheelset, i weighed them in at 1340 on two different scales:

Last edited by byron505 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sk1324

by sk1324

Curious about the bike, but your photos are not showing.

gsindela

by gsindela

photos not showing
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

byron505

by byron505

i figured there might be some issue trying to use google photos as a host - how about now?

byron505

by byron505

kgt wrote:Nice frame, fancy bartape!

thank you thank you! never have spent so much on bartape in my life as i have in the past year. (4xrolls)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nice looking build. Enjoy it!

KWalker

by KWalker

MCFK makes a much lighter post in 0 offset. Kalloy stem could save weight as could lighter skewers and some used EE brakes. But, not a ton of weight. The crank length would make it tough to find a lighter crank that would fit the BB that would be worth the $ to gram. Red is rad.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

byron505

by byron505

KWalker wrote:MCFK makes a much lighter post in 0 offset. Kalloy stem could save weight as could lighter skewers and some used EE brakes. But, not a ton of weight. The crank length would make it tough to find a lighter crank that would fit the BB that would be worth the $ to gram. Red is rad.

nice! yeah i couldn't really find a seatpost and this thing is much more clunky than I thought it would be. ill search for that now
kind of blowing my mind seeing some of the builds here weight a full kg less than mine without too crazy of parts.

the hed ti skewers and red brakes really don't weigh the bike down too much, but the rest of the weight cant be on the cockpit/seatpost/cranks...can it? 1000 grams seems like a lot to find, but im sure it would make sense on a spreadsheet.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yeah this colour is sick looks awesome in the person too (a riding buddy has the same setup). The stem and bartape match real nice.

Agree with Kwalker on the ee brakes, the set weighs slightly more then one of the red brakes and the stopping is superb. MCFK seatpost would be a nice touch.

KWalker

by KWalker

EE brakes are completely worth it, even older versions. I was surprised at how much better than Sram brakes they were. IIRC the savings is 110g-120g. The HED skewers are listed at 110g and any KCNC, Far and Near, etc. are ~40g for the pair. Right there you have 160g. The MCFK post I believe is ~115 with most normal posts being around 200. Your Phenom weighs 65g over the S-Works version (I actually think it's more I just forget what mine weighed). Ritchey carbon bars are heavier, but it'll cost quite a bit to get something lighter although if you like traditional bend I have some 3T Rotundo LTD I'd let go for dirt cheap (some coffee beans would suffice) since you are local but they could save you at least 50, up to 70 since I dunno what the Ritcheys weigh. A Kalloy stem with ti bolts is like $50? Ritchey stems tend to weigh 140-160 so you'd save ~45g there.

If you did all these mods you would total 400g of savings which is quite substantial. That's also not considering tire and tube choice.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

byron505

by byron505

KWalker wrote:EE brakes are completely worth it, even older versions. I was surprised at how much better than Sram brakes they were. IIRC the savings is 110g-120g. The HED skewers are listed at 110g and any KCNC, Far and Near, etc. are ~40g for the pair. Right there you have 160g. The MCFK post I believe is ~115 with most normal posts being around 200. Your Phenom weighs 65g over the S-Works version (I actually think it's more I just forget what mine weighed). Ritchey carbon bars are heavier, but it'll cost quite a bit to get something lighter although if you like traditional bend I have some 3T Rotundo LTD I'd let go for dirt cheap (some coffee beans would suffice) since you are local but they could save you at least 50, up to 70 since I dunno what the Ritcheys weigh. A Kalloy stem with ti bolts is like $50? Ritchey stems tend to weigh 140-160 so you'd save ~45g there.

If you did all these mods you would total 400g of savings which is quite substantial. That's also not considering tire and tube choice.

god. damn. just blew my mind with how nonchalant that answer was.
looks like the forum favorites are kalloy stems, mcfk posts, and ee brakes.

so i can see im at that point where im spending $$$ for the last handful of grams (with the exception of that kalloy stem).

let me sit on this for a bit and see how i want to attack the build! thanks so much for the advice everyone

sk1324

by sk1324

byron505 wrote:looks like the forum favorites are kalloy stems, mcfk posts, and ee brakes.

The eebrakes are very expensive, but they brake like nothing else out there. I swapped from 9000 DA brakes and was astounded by the difference, especially on a SuperSix frame with how wonky the rear cable entry point is - I use them with the same cabling (jagwire elite link) and the clamping force and modulation is spectacular. So if not for the weight reduction alone, then at least for the performance.

The bike looks great, that is my favorite current SuperSix paint variant at the moment. That orange looks so much better in person and in good light :)

byron505

by byron505

sk1324 wrote:
byron505 wrote:looks like the forum favorites are kalloy stems, mcfk posts, and ee brakes.

The eebrakes are very expensive, but they brake like nothing else out there. I swapped from 9000 DA brakes and was astounded by the difference, especially on a SuperSix frame with how wonky the rear cable entry point is - I use them with the same cabling (jagwire elite link) and the clamping force and modulation is spectacular. So if not for the weight reduction alone, then at least for the performance.

The bike looks great, that is my favorite current SuperSix paint variant at the moment. That orange looks so much better in person and in good light :)

damn, maybe ill keep an eye out on them. would be happy to get better performance - just nto convinced for weight reasons alone. after putting hydro disc on a bike, i've started to value stopping power more and more.

trying to debate if ill go full jagwire link or just the end of the rear brake housing that goes into the head tube to stop the splitting im still getting.

as for the paint, thank you! the plan was for my wife and i to get matching bikes - i only gave her this frame and the black/chrome as options ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com