2013 BMC teammachine SLR01 | Update: page 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

L84AD8

by L84AD8

Latest: Page 3 1 year update..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long time lurker, first time poster, just built up an 2013 BMC teammachine SLR01 last week, here to share my pride and joy! :)

Have always liked the white/black colour scheme, recently found the frame on sale at a nearby dealer, went to check it out, didn't buy it.
Went back to my LBS that I bought my previous bike from, managed to order the last frame from the importer for a healthy discount. :mrgreen:
When the frame arrived, was surprised to see the world champion's rainbow stripes on the top tube and front forks :shock: As this is not the official WC SLR01 colour scheme, did some googling and found that this is a bit of a hidden version that didn't officially appear on BMC website, and only a few floating around the world.

So on with the build, aiming for the magical 6.8kg ready to ride with clinchers, pedals, bottle cages and garmin sensors/mount.

Complete build
2013 BMC teammachine SLR01 mechanical frameset 47cm
Shimano Dura Ace 9070 Di2 groupset (Ultegra 6870 RR derailleur)
FSA SL-K handlebar 400mm
Cheapo bartape
Deda Zero 100 stem 90mm*
Specialized Romin pro saddle*
Look Keo 2 Max pedals*
Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelset*
Continental GP4000s tires*
Shimano Ultegra 11-32T cassette
Mr. Control Ti quick release*
Giant carbon fibre bottle cages 27g each*
*From previous bike.

Total Weight: 6.92kg :?

So missed the mark by 120g, still need to trim the stem, clean up the cables a bit and with a bit of treaking, should get into the 6.8kg mark! :wink:

Cheers! :beerchug:
Last edited by L84AD8 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

Beautiful bike and congrats on scoring a rare frame :thumbup: Ride it in good health!

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a mechanical group ready frame? I think I can see cable stops on the down tube. How did you run the Di2 cabling? I think some of the weight might also be coming from the 11-32t cassette and Ultegra RD. How do you like that set up? I plan on running it on my Sram equipped SLR01 for serious climbing days. I'm sure cutting the steerer, running a smaller cassette and DuraAce RD will put you right at 6.8kg.

chanthony

by chanthony

Beautiful build! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinn039

by Quinn039

great looking frame!

I agree with the sentiment regarding the wide ratio cassette and it stands out visually as well... do you have a lot of climbing planned?

PSM

by PSM

That is one good looking bike! Cut the tower as you mentioned. :thumbup:

The bike is beggin' for a white bar tape. :smartass:

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

Very nice. Agree with the white bartape! How tall are you?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

That just looks like an excellent build. This frame looks so much better in the small sizes rather than the big. And stick with black bar tape; it is so much more functional that white as the dirt doesn't show as much.

L84AD8

by L84AD8

plpete wrote:Beautiful bike and congrats on scoring a rare frame :thumbup: Ride it in good health!

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a mechanical group ready frame? I think I can see cable stops on the down tube. How did you run the Di2 cabling? I think some of the weight might also be coming from the 11-32t cassette and Ultegra RD. How do you like that set up? I plan on running it on my Sram equipped SLR01 for serious climbing days. I'm sure cutting the steerer, running a smaller cassette and DuraAce RD will put you right at 6.8kg.

Thanks plpete, your bike is pretty sweet too! Yes, mine's a mechanical frame, I simply liked this B/W colour scheme, yet I really wanted Di2, so did my best to run the wires externally under the downtube as cleanly as possible, and the seattube battery was a huge plus! :mrgreen:
You're right, the RD+cassette is weighing it down, but where I live I do a lot of hill climbs, and on my last bike I was runnint 12-30t, so naturally for this built I opted for something bigger than a 28t, but on my brief first ride, I'm thinking this bike been so efficient and light, I may be able to live with 28t, we'll see about that. The RD and 32t is playing very nicely and smoothly with the rest of the DA group, highly recommended.
Have a few ideas about losing that 120g, will update as I go. :thumbup:

chanthony wrote:Beautiful build! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate!

Quinn039 wrote:great looking frame!

I agree with the sentiment regarding the wide ratio cassette and it stands out visually as well... do you have a lot of climbing planned?

Thanks, and yes the cassette is a bit of a visual sacrifice to the hilly parts where I live.. the long cage RD is a bit of an eyesore too.. :roll:

PSM wrote:That is one good looking bike! Cut the tower as you mentioned. :thumbup:

The bike is beggin' for a white bar tape. :smartass:

Thanks for the pchop! I'll be playing around with some colour combinations throughout my ownership of this bike for sure.
The cheapo bar tape is a bit of a temporary thing, since I'll be treaking things here and there and trying different fits, it'll get messed up in the process, some proper tape will come later..

Wederkinck wrote:Very nice. Agree with the white bartape! How tall are you?

umm.. not tall.. 157cm or 5'1? :oops:

Valbrona wrote:That just looks like an excellent build. This frame looks so much better in the small sizes rather than the big. And stick with black bar tape; it is so much more functional that white as the dirt doesn't show as much.

Cheers, I did a lot of homework before embarking on it! and paying attention to alot of details.. :D
I do like the simple and clean look of the black tape, but who knows, I may be brave someday and go all out on some white tape.. :wink:

PSM

by PSM

"umm.. not tall.. 157cm or 5'1?"

A guy? :?

L84AD8

by L84AD8

PSM wrote:"umm.. not tall.. 157cm or 5'1?"

A guy? :?

Ha! well, in my defence, I AM asian.. :lol: :mrgreen:

Back on topic... Took advantage of the rare sunshine in this cold winter...

PSM

by PSM

:thumbup:

L84AD8

by L84AD8

My ride this morning, should explain the 32t.. :)

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

:thumbup:

L84AD8

by L84AD8

Upon my fitter's suggestion, trying a 110mm stem at a lower position.
Thought I test it with a budget Uno stem, and to my surprise the stem came in at 106g..
Will see how I get on with the new position, may just keep the stem and remove the logo.. 8)
*The steerer is only "photochopped".. actual chopping once the fit is confirmed.. :wink:

marcello

by marcello

Looks great!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com