Project UCI who? 2011 S-Works Shiv build.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I bought my first TT bike last year, and I LOVED it. It was one of those ah ha moments, when I could finally justify the reasoning behind the existence of TT/Tri bikes. The thing was fast. It was just an old aluminum Cervelo P3, but on a flat course it was noticeably, and measurably faster than my Cervelo S2 road bike. I did my first TT race on it too, and I was very happy with my performance. I instantly found a desire to race more TT's. Unfortunately, a friend of mine crashed the P3, and it died a horrible death. The thing was, as soon as I started riding it. I wanted a better, and lighter TT bike anyway. So she just helped me move along the process a bit faster, leaving along a trail of carnage behind her.

So that gave birth to this new project. As fate would have it I came across a 2011 Shiv frameset, and it is my new project. I was planning to buy a 2013-14 Shiv TT module, but this deal could not be passed up. I mean if it is good enough for Tony Martin, and Fabian to beat the best in the world on, the Shiv should be plenty fast for me. I would have preferred the newer paint, but the nosecone is more aero, and it's banned by the UCI so it must be good, right? Anyway so here it is as I brought it home:

It is still missing the nosecone, and all the proprietary pieces to go a long with that, but I have sourced them, and I will be acquiring them very shortly. I also picked up a Specialized Sitero Pro for this build, and I like it a lot. I was so anxious to try it, I've been using it on my S2 on the trainer, and rollers. So far I really like it, and I am anxious to spending long days on it, and the Shiv.

I purchased a S-Works crankset off of ebay, as all sizes under 175mm are currently sold out, and I ride a 170mm. It was a little dinged up in the clear, and it had the garish "SPECIALIZED" logo painted on the arms. So that is today's project to strip the clear, and the paint from the outside of the crank arms. I have a few other parts I need to do this to for this bike as well, and some for another up coming project. I wanted the crank arms without logos anyway, just like my Lightning cranks on my S2. I will then refinish them with Spray 2 Max 2K clear just like I did on my previous Trek 5200 project.

I will be using some parts left over from my previous P3, and I have been acquiring pieces very quickly for the build. Here is the proposed build list:

2011 Specialized S-Works Shiv Frame, and Fork Size SM
S-Works Shiv proprietary Stem, Handlebar, Seatpost, and brake calipers (yet to acquire)
Sram Red Tuned RD 10spd
Sram Red Ti Cage FD
Sram TT900 Shifters
Sram TT900 Brake levers
Specialized S-Works crankset 170mm
Sram TT 53t chainring, and 39t (yet to acquire)
Specialized Sitero Pro saddle
Speedplay Zeros, and likely to add Ward Ti Spindles
Wheel options will be:
2010 Zipp 404 Tubulars, with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 23mm FR 25MM RR
Spinergy Stealth FCC carbon clinchers, with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Open 23mm FR 25MM RR
I am also kicking around the idea of which disc to buy. I'm seriously considering picking up a Renn tubular disc. They seem to be cheap light, and effective. I will probably run 23mm EVO CX on it.

So there you have it. I'll be updating this as I can, and I'll be adding weights as I get them as well. Enjoy, and feel free to add any insightful help. I am conflicted on the chain rings still, but the Sram TT rings seem to get good reviews, and are inexpensive. I also considered Praxis Works, but they aren't aero, and also Fibre-Lyte TT rings, and S-Works TT, but they are both much pricier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

Looks fun! I love the old nosecone shivs, they're so cool... If you're gonna get a disc though, go all the way and get an 808 for the front ;)

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Stefano wrote:Looks fun! I love the old nosecone shivs, they're so cool... If you're gonna get a disc though, go all the way and get an 808 for the front ;)

Thanks. I like the look of the nosecone Shivs too. I just don't really want another red, white, black bike, but oh well. I got it cheap enough. The thought of an 808 has crossed my mind. Probably just another wheelset to be honest. That way I could do the 404/808 combo on some flatter road races. I got the crank arms all stripped, and wet sanded. They just need masked off, and then they are ready for clear. I also ordered some Phil Wood BB30 bearings from my LBS. I've been using Phil Wood bearings for sometime now, and I seem to get a bit more life out of them.

DMF

by DMF

Looking forward to the finished build.

As for some insight, I've spent a fair amount of time online trying to find any actual numbers for the aeroness of TT rings, but unless you actually also fill in the empty space between the spiders arms, they really only seem to look aero but add no measurable difference. Guessing this is due to the extremely dirty air right here.

Might as well go Praxis for performance, Sram TT rings would just serve for the purposeful look.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

DMF wrote:Looking forward to the finished build.

As for some insight, I've spent a fair amount of time online trying to find any actual numbers for the aeroness of TT rings, but unless you actually also fill in the empty space between the spiders arms, they really only seem to look aero but add no measurable difference. Guessing this is due to the extremely dirty air right here.

Might as well go Praxis for performance, Sram TT rings would just serve for the purposeful look.

Hmm very interesting info indeed. I have considered doing a Lightning full carbon aero spider, I also would not be surprised if a Quarq spider didn't end up on there at some point. That being said I also considered going the other way, like you said and forgetting about aero. I thought of trying Shimano 7800 rings. I've always heard good things about their shifting, not that a TT bike shifts much, and not that I am even worried about it using a ti cage Red FD. I also have been considering a Specialites TA Squale with hidden chainring bolts, just because I think it would look pretty sweet. As you can tell, I've put a ton of thought into this build, and including the chainring selection, and I still haven't decided where I am going with it yet. Luckily the chainring will likely be the last thing I buy, as I have others that I have sitting around I can fix to it. I ran Praxis rings on my other bikes, and I was very pleased with the shifting. One was with a Yaw Red FD, and the other was a Force FD. All that being said, thank you for the input, and it will also be something I consider before I make the chainring purchase.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I got all my missing parts yesterday, and I gave my Shiv to one of my co-workers to take home over the weekend. I guess the nosecone I got was an early version and needs to be sanded on to fit properly. I am also told the brake cabling is a total pain so he is going to tackle that for me as well. He is our Technical Team Equipment Manager, so I guess it is in good hands. I'm not sure exactly what all he does, but he is responsible for supplying our pro teams with our products. He is an amazing wealth of knowledge. There was a stack of McLaren TT4 helmets outside his office today. That was pretty cool to see as they are not available to the general public yet. So Monday it should be ready for me to cut the extensions, seatpost, and install my crank, shifters, and derailleurs. I have a few progress pics from other work I did to it as well. I'll upload those later today after my morning trail run.

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

Looking forward to see those pictures!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Sorry for the delay. Yesterday was a crazy day. Anyway, here are the progress pics. It's basically just some aesthetic touches. I don't like the way the striping on the nosecone looks so I removed it, and then painted, and applied clear coat. I also removed the Specialized logo from my S-Works cranks, and applied clear to those as well. You can also see my Bontrager post I removed the logos from it too. It is now on my Allez build. I'll start another thread on it soon. The extra set of cranks belong to my co-worker. I also changed my alloy spider to a carbon one since the pics were taken, and the finished nosecone I didn't get a chance to get a pic of as it was drying in my co-worker's office. So my cranks now look like my co-worker's except 5mm shorter. I am really pleased with the way everything turned out. I am looking forward to finishing the build hopefully this week. The only hold up might be the Phil Wood BB30 bearings I had my LBS order. Anyway, here are the pics.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Oh yeah, one other thing. I was not able to get a hold of the armrests mounts, or armrests for the Shiv aerobars. I was able to get all the other parts. However, with a little work on the bench grinder shortening the two rearward most bolts that anchor the aerobars to the basebar, I was able to make my old Zipp armrests mount with zero modification. This is good, because I really liked those Zipp pads, and I read that the Specialized ones are not so great. I see another issue already being I don't have anyway to attach my Garmin to this thing other than the lame rubber band mounts. So I'm going to have to fabricate something at some point.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

A bit of progress. I should have it ready to ride by the weekend. Too bad it is miserable here in Ohio right now. Chip did a great job on the brake installation. So glad I didn't have to fool with it.

BmanX

by BmanX

This is going to be a great build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks BMANX. So I got the seatpost cut, installed, with the Sitero mounted, and the crankset installed. I was prepared to try it out as a single speed on the trainer, and figure out my position, and trim the extensions. However, I tried to install my old 56/44 FSA aero rings, and the chainring bolt diameter for the carbon S-Works spider is a smaller size than standard. So I need proprietary chainring bolts to install the chainrings. So I need to hunt down a set of chainring bolts now. First I was going to try to use the old Biopace 52/38 rings I had on my P3, but then I realized the big ring was not anywhere close to being strait. I should be able to hunt down some bolts today or tomorrow, and have this thing completed and ready to ride by the weekend.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Hurry up and get some finished pics up!

When you say the bolts are a different diameter, do you mean the BCD, or the bolts won't physically go through the spider? Too much lacquer??
Official cafe stop tester

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

jekyll man wrote:Hurry up and get some finished pics up!

When you say the bolts are a different diameter, do you mean the BCD, or the bolts won't physically go through the spider? Too much lacquer??

Yes it's the actual bolt diameter not the bolt circle diameter. It's not from too much lacquer. I didn't even paint the spider, it was already fine as is. I did some research the Specialized Carbon spiders DO indeed take a smaller diameter bolt. I gather it is similar to a Campy CR bolt. Anyway, I'll have some by the weekend I am sure.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Excited to see your final build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com