Project UCI who? 2011 S-Works Shiv build.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I had to special order the CR bolts from Salt Lake City, but I'll have them this week. I hate the delay. I so wanted to try it out for a long trainer ride today. Oh well, the wait will be worth it, plus I just got a new Smartweld Allez so I can ride it on the trainer instead.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Chainring bolts acquired. Progress will resume.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Hi!
Your build is looking great! I am planing to use the S-works crankset in my buid as well, and the sanded / clearcoat job you did looks amazing.

I found the clearcoat you used after looking at your Trek 5200 thread:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043B ... DOZFIJNPFB

Could you clarify the process you used to remove the Specialized logos?

Additionally, did you have the chance to weight the crankarms (possibly without the spider)?

Thanks!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

AndreLM wrote:Hi!
Your build is looking great! I am planing to use the S-works crankset in my buid as well, and the sanded / clearcoat job you did looks amazing.

I found the clearcoat you used after looking at your Trek 5200 thread:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043B ... DOZFIJNPFB

Could you clarify the process you used to remove the Specialized logos?

Additionally, did you have the chance to weight the crankarms (possibly without the spider)?

Thanks!

Yes that is the same clear I used in my Trek thread. The process is straightforward, and easy as can be. Scrape the paint, and logos off with a razor blaze. Drag the blade edge away from the direction you scraping. Once you get all of the logos gone. Use a scotch brite pad, and wet sand the remaining surface until it is somewhat smooth. Wipe it clean, and then apply clear. I used three coats myself. I was very happy. It turned out great.

As fate would have it. I bought another S-Works crankset off of ebay brand new. It comes with the S-Works Aero Chainrings which retail for $480 alone!!!!! So when it arrives it will go on this bike, and the current crankset with the removed logos will go on my Allez I am building, and training on. When I pull it off, I will makes sure I get a weight for you. I can't remove the spider though, because I had to borrow a tool from my co-worker for that, and he is in Europe right now. If you need anything else just let me know.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

AndreLM wrote:Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Well, you'll appreciate this more. I went ahead and pulled the crankset off. I figured I might as well just pull it off, and put it on my Allez. Without chainrings with the carbon spider it is 422g. That is for a 170mm with a 130bcd carbon spider. This is also including all the spacers, w/ wave washer for the BB, but no bearings.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

WOW! Thanks!

:thumbup:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

just googled the nosecone thing. Nice looking bike mate. reclearing carbon parts is always exciting. I felt the same when about car parts i recleared. Makes it look brand new!

professor chaos, what front bumper is that in the first picture. looks FRP.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

hmmm, I've heard that name before. Mugen thread on H-T perhaps? It's a Mugen Pro.2 bumper. The whole kit is there, as well as JDM hood, headlights, and such. I need to finish that thing one of these days.

As for the bike project. Well the ebay seller backed out of the crankset sale. He said he noticed a crack in the driveside arm, and refunded my money, I'm skeptical he said it was brand new. So I am back to the crank I re-cleared. I think I am going to go with Sram TT chainrings. If not for the aero, for the stiffness. I would love those S-Works chainrings, but holy smokes, they are expensive.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

haha yea h-t (now seems ages ago) . I used to own an integra 4 door with japan front and other dumb stuff.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

nathanong87 wrote:haha yea h-t (now seems ages ago) . I used to own an integra 4 door with japan front and other dumb stuff.

Yeah, I remember the screen name. I am crxbart over there. I haven't posted in ages. I still have the CRX, I just haven't worked on it in awhile. Cycling has consumed my spare time lately.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

ProfessorChaos wrote:Yes that is the same clear I used in my Trek thread. The process is straightforward, and easy as can be. Scrape the paint, and logos off with a razor blaze. Drag the blade edge away from the direction you scraping. Once you get all of the logos gone. Use a scotch brite pad, and wet sand the remaining surface until it is somewhat smooth. Wipe it clean, and then apply clear. I used three coats myself. I was very happy. It turned out great.

Would you mind clarifying this a bit? I'm interested in doing the same on my FSA SLK carbon cranks. What do you mean by "drag the blade edge away from the direction you scraping?"

Thanks!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

syncmaster wrote:

Would you mind clarifying this a bit? I'm interested in doing the same on my FSA SLK carbon cranks. What do you mean by "drag the blade edge away from the direction you scraping?"

Thanks!

/ ---> pull this direction with blade angled like so. Dragging it across the carbon. You are less likely to dig into the carbon that way, and potentially damage it.

BTW, I got the Shiv all built up. I rode it on the trainer twice this weekend. I just need a new rear tire for my 404's. and then I'll get it weighed, and take some good pics of it. So far the fit feels pretty good.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Okay, so the new 2014 S-Works cranks are finally in stock in 170mm, and they are made a bit different than the earlier versions, and I was able to use my old FSA 56/44 rings on them. The other S-Works cranks will get moved down to my Allez. So for now this beast is completed. I still want a disc, and a deeper front wheel, but other than that it is ready to log some training miles on. I think I have the fit sorted out on the trainer. I can't wait to see how much faster it is over my old aluminum P3. It's a lot lighter I do know that.

BmanX

by BmanX

That is a very sexy build. I still think it screams a set of Fibre-Lyte custom full aero rings but short of that (you now me), I think this is a dead sexy build. I would love to get a pair of those S-Works cranks for my SLC build and then get custom aero rings for them.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com