Skunkworks: An Open Mold Invades Italy (update 12/20)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

seanblurr

by seanblurr

While the original meaning of the term Skunkworks used by Lockheed Martin during WW2 to develop fighter aircraft is still around, the term has become more generic, like ‘Tissue’ (despite being a registered trade mark), and in todays world it can mean anything from a group creating a project together, or an unknown entity producing a product. I first heard the term used back when I was involved in racing cars referring to a certain 'skunkworks' engine builder. This mentality fits with this bike build. While I am no engineer, and everything was bought (I even had a LBS put it together!), I decided to drop the glamour of a name brand frame, and set out to build a top-level bicycle with a budget. I introduce you, to Skunkworks. (There may be a ghost sticker on the bike at some point…).

I pieced together the bike over a few months because of my budget minded shopping. Only a hand full of parts were bought at full price, while most were discounted via sites like Chain Love, Ebay or here. Because of that I easily saved a few grand in the overall cost. While this is WW, there were only two weights that I was really concerned about; the frame, and the completed bike. Therefore I do not have a weight list, however all the parts are name brand and weights are posted around the net…

Let’s get to the bike.

The frame is a FM-069 from Hong-Fu. Overall, the look and feel of the frame is quite good. At a size 50 it scaled in at 880 grams, a tad heavier then I thought, but still decent. It took about a month to get to me, but that was due to the fact that it was sent to the US, and then forwarded to me in Italy. So far, great experience with Hong-Fu. Below is the complete build list:

Complete bike weight as pictured (6.68kg/14.7lbs)

Frame – Hong Fu FM-069 (880g)
Wheels – Mavic Cosmic 40c (I meant to scale these, but installed the cassette before I could)
Stem – 3T ARXII 90mm
Bars - 3T Ergonova Team
Shifters – Campy Record 11
Cranks – Campy Record 11 Compact 172.5
Pedals – Look Keo
Front D – Campy Super Record (Found cheapest on Ebay)
Rear D – Campy Super Record (Again was the cheaper option)
Cassette – Campy Super Record 12-27
Brakes – Planet X CNC (More on these later)
Pads - SwissStop Black Prince (Not pictured)
Bottle cages – Hong-Fu carbon (I did scale these, they were 25g each)
Seatpost – Fizik Cyrano Carbon
Saddle – Fizik Arione CX Carbon
Tires – Vittoria Open Corsa CX

First impressions are superb! Compared to my older Wilier (last picture) the difference is that of a new age Ferrari and an early 90's Ferrari. First off there is almost a 4lbs weight difference, which is huge. Second the frame is much stiffer, this makes it noticeably more vibrant and 'twitchy' (In a good way). . Along with the switch to 172.5 crank arms from 170, it really comes alive out of the saddle and you can really tell which bike you are on. I don't think I really need to comment on the group set, Campy is well… Campy. Biggest thing is the brakes. I went with the Planet X calipers mainly based off the cost, and second because of the weight. I had heard mixed reviews, but decided to give them a shot anyways. First off, they look fantastic which is a plus. However their performance hasn't won me over yet. After the first ride (an 11km climb up Monte Serre and back down) I was ready to swap them out right when I got home. I had absolutely no confidence in them. Braking modulation was non existent and stopping power wasn't satisfying. The more I thought about it though, I realized that I was coming from Campy calipers and aluminum braking tracks to a full carbon wheel and WW calipers. I gave it another chance on a second ride and am starting to learn the brakes and realize their potential. While modulation still isn't very good, Im finding out that they actually do provide quite a bit of stopping power (I'm 158lbs). The cable stop mechanism is also iffy. I am having trouble clamping down on the cable enough and I feel under a really hard stop, the cable will pull right through. With that said, they will likely stay on my bike for the immediate future until I attempt to rig up some DuraAce calipers (yup…).

Unfortunately the weather here in Italy isn't being nice, so I was unable to get some nice scenic shots. Those will come in the future, but for now, here are some garage shots. Enjoy! *Full size photos available upon request.

The older Wilier (Has different wheels now…)
Last edited by seanblurr on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Instagram @seanblurr

dogg

by dogg

very nice, loving the red accent on the inside of the fork blades! I've actually just ordered an 066sl from hongfu and will be doing a similar treatment on my fork and chainstays.

excellent photos as well, what are you shooting with?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Be careful these days with the use of any words that resemble ones of Specialized's "property" :smartass: :lol:

Very nice bikes and pics :beerchug:

Louis :)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Wow I have to say I like it quite a lot.

And I'm a steel/alu-classic-frame-weenie.

Not too much slope, thin seatstays and they embrace the seattube beautifully.

No-ISP is nice too

What tire width would fit :?: Seems that chainstays at the BB will be the limiting factor

glepore

by glepore

Nice. I have an 066sl, slightly lighter (840) but I'm curious as to whether there are other differences aside from the rear stay.

Seems like everything from Hongfu currently shipped has the Avenger logo, is there a delete option?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I used a Canon 5d with a 50mm lens. As far as the logos from Hong Fu, your not the first person to have mentioned that recently but I honestly don't have an answer. When I ordered this there was no mention of any logos.
Instagram @seanblurr

bura

by bura

Niiiiiice! Enjoy your ride.
BTW,meanwhile Chinese brothers succeeded an unmanned moon landing.
Off topic?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

micky

by micky

Looks good! :beerchug:

plpete

by plpete

Thats a great looking build aesthetically and well chosen parts! Really like it a lot.

As far as brakes go I'd highly suggest some TRP 960 brakes. They are cheaper than DuraAce and SR, pretty light (my set was 242 grams with pads) and preform just as well. Plenty stiff and solid feeling. Love my set.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

TRP's look interesting. I think I will give my Planet-X's a few more goes before I jump ship.
Instagram @seanblurr

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Okay, i'll bite......

Wondered why your corsa logo's didn't line up on both wheels, then realised its because the tyres are on opposite......
nay, your front wheels in back to front! :roll:

Other than that, I think its looking great
Well done

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Elrey

by Elrey

Nice bike and nice pictures. :beerchug:

seanblurr

by seanblurr

jekyll man wrote:Okay, i'll bite......

Wondered why your corsa logo's didn't line up on both wheels, then realised its because the tyres are on opposite......
nay, your front wheels in back to front! :roll:

Other than that, I think its looking great
Well done

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I realized that I had put the front wheel on backwards for the shoot while I was editing the photos, doh! I had just pulled it out of the car. Needless to say for the scenic photos the wheels will be on right…
Instagram @seanblurr

Elrey

by Elrey

And valves at 6'oclock. :wink:

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I think I will put them at 7:34 just to piss off you sticklers :mrgreen:
Instagram @seanblurr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com