2014 Allez Expert E5 with custom Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GT8

by GT8

Thanks for the tips and advice ruffryder - handy to use a centerpunch to mark the spot :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ruffryder

by ruffryder

Just added new wheelset, RAIL 52s. So far so good, 7.25kg complete and ready to ride. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Build: Ultegra 6770 shifters/ft&r der with internal battery, 170mm S-works cranks w/carbon spider and dovals Aero 52/39 130BCD, KMC X10SL DLC black chain, SRAM XG 1090 11-26 cassette, Ritchey Superlogic Carbon 1bolt post, 120mm Carbon C260 stem, 42cm WCS Logic II Bar, Romin saddle, TRP R879 brakes, Arundel cages, Ibike newton w/SRAM holder, Rail 52s and Flo30s.

Last edited by ruffryder on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esfrost

by esfrost

This looks absolutely stunning! How do you like that Ritchey stem?

Just get a pair of these shoes, and you're set!

ruffryder

by ruffryder

Thanks. I love the Ritchey stem, very stiff and pictures really don't do it justice. I like everything about the shoe except for "Cervelo". I kid I kid but not really....

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

How are you liking the Rail wheels? Looking for some nice carbon wheels for fast group rides that I can still ride daily.

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

Beautiful build!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I like it. And I like the work done on the frame. Nice. In the true spirit of weenie-ism!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Could you give a review of the Doval chain set? Cost, installation, weight, shifting, etc...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

ruffryder

by ruffryder

wolfesquire wrote:How are you liking the Rail wheels? Looking for some nice carbon wheels for fast group rides that I can still ride daily.

Only 1 ride so far but they are nice. I've had Reynolds Aero clinchers before and currently ride Flo 30s. They are super smooth and comfy, a lot more so than the Reynolds. They feel very light, stiff and fast. As far as carbon clinchers in the mid depth range are concerned, you can't find a better wheelset for the $$.

ruffryder

by ruffryder

natefontaine wrote:Could you give a review of the Doval chain set? Cost, installation, weight, shifting, etc...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I've tried Q-rings and Osymetrics but Dovals are the best compromise between the Two. Dovals have the build, shift quality of the Q-Rings but are more ovalized. Osymetrics plain suck as far as build/shift quality even though they have the most ovalization. I find that the Dovals allow me to push at least 1 to 2 bigger gears and where it really shines are on climbs. They really do use the leverage as an advantage on inclines. Installation was easy just like any other chainring setup just make sure you have enough clearance from your ft.derailleur when the chainring is at it's most ovalized position. There are 4 positions you can clock the big ring in, i have mine at 2 since i'm more of a masher than spinner. #4 is for high inertia (spinners) while going the opposite way is low inertia (mashers). I did replace the cheap chainring bolts/nuts with some black alloy ones and being only $100 for both rings 52/39 130BCD from ebay, you can't beat it. Sorry I didn't weigh the set but on their website, it does show 171grms for the Aero 52T 110BCD which is close to mine. They have a light one now that comes in at 105g which would be really good for climbing. I like the Aero one because of the stiffness and I ride mostly in flat/rolling terrain. One thing which oval chainrings are NOT optimized for is sprinting. There's a certain RPM where if you exceed it starts to feel unbalanced naturally due to the nature of the rings. You can still sprint decent but you have to find that sweet RPM spot, which i'm still playing with. Good luck!

http://www.doval.me/

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

this thing looks nice man!

hollowgram5

by hollowgram5

A few questions, as I am debating doing this with my Cannondale SystemSix:

-Did you have any provision to keep the BB spindle from contacting any wiring when the cranks turn? I run hollowgrams so i don't foresee an issue, but just trying to be sure.
-Is the Parlee carbon clamp strong enough to keep the front der in place, as I've read conflicting views on its ability to handle Di2?
-Is it necessary to drill the FD hole in the rear of the seat tube, or was that done only because of ease of drilling the tube?

I debated just drilling a hole in the carbon (more easily fixed) after finding out if it would run both the JM40 and JM41 junction boxes to run external to the derailleurs and internal battery. I guess I have some questions to ask my Shimano rep before I proceed. Might just have to run everything in the carbon downtube and drill three holes, 1-in and 2-out for the ders to keep the battery internal and keep things away from the inside of the BB..

ruffryder

by ruffryder

Hey hollowgram5, here's some answers for you.

1. Hot glue was used to keep the wires out of the way and have not had any issues with interference. I also run a BB30 crank
2. My clamp is not a Parlee but an ebay purchase from seller greatgears. NO issues with front shifting whatsoever
3. Not necessary at all to drill the back. I personally did it because IMO it looks cleaner and was easier to drill. Got the idea from fellow WW Anders Caad 10 conversion.

Not sure about the junction boxes so yea, Shimano should be able to clarify that issue. Good luck!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The e tube jb's (sm-jc40 and sm-jc41) are "dumb" so you can use as many as you want to join up the cabling.

DirtyKolache

by DirtyKolache

I am wanting to do this to my Allez as well but I also had a few questions.

1. Any issues, bike still ride good? Hasn't burst into a ball of flames mid ride or anything crazy?
2. I run a Shimano crank and want to you the Praxis BB but worried about clearance. How much clearance do you have in your BB area? Anymore pictures of this?
3. When you shaved down your cable guides, what did you do to smooth over the finish?

Thanks for your time, you inspired me!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com