HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm 

2014 Specialized Allez Expert, bought as complete bike and parted. Built frame with Ultegra Di2, drilled holes, shaved cable stops. Big thanks to Anders for his CAAD10 Di2 work. Will post parts and weights soon.

2 rides so far and it performs as advertised. Highly doubtful I will go back to carbon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 pm 

Nice! Would like to se some up close pictures of your drilling modifications.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:49 pm 

Nice build, I think the osyms are a nice touch and I usually hate seeing them. I'd like to see some close-ups of the drilling too.

How hot is the frameset in real life? I've been looking into the '14s and have been a bit put off by the red detailing, especially on the forks and downtube after what the blacked out 2013 looked like. Makes me wonder whether the S-Works Allez I've been dreaming of is worth the extra coin considering the welding's basically identical.

+1 for alu>carbon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:05 pm 

Elrey wrote:
Nice! Would like to se some up close pictures of your drilling modifications.

Holes drilled in downtube, seat tube and chainstay. I have an internal battery that hides in the seatpost/seat tube, junction B is shoved in rectangular slot in BB/downtube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 pm 

bananasbrah wrote:
Nice build, I think the osyms are a nice touch and I usually hate seeing them. I'd like to see some close-ups of the drilling too.

How hot is the frameset in real life? I've been looking into the '14s and have been a bit put off by the red detailing, especially on the forks and downtube after what the blacked out 2013 looked like. Makes me wonder whether the S-Works Allez I've been dreaming of is worth the extra coin considering the welding's basically identical.

+1 for alu>carbon.

Thanks, the rings are Dovals from Korea which are much better quality than osymetric. I have a project black venge so a little color was nice for me. The S-Works Allez is definitely NOT worth it since i believe the Expert frame is practically the same and the Race is not that far off either. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm 

Thanks. How did you close up the holes? Some kind of rubber sealing?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 pm 

Elrey wrote:
Thanks. How did you close up the holes? Some kind of rubber sealing?

Used this grommet kit for 6mm holes: Shimano E-Tube Di2 Grommet SM-GM01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 pm 

Aaah... Thank you for that information. Very nice. Must have missed it in Anders' thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm 

ruffryder wrote:
bananasbrah wrote:

+1 for alu>carbon.

Thanks, the rings are Dovals from Korea which are much better quality than osymetric. I have a project black venge so a little color was nice for me. The S-Works Allez is definitely NOT worth it since i believe the Expert frame is practically the same and the Race is not that far off either. Good luck!

Cheers for that. The drilling looks neater than a lot of DIY jobs I've seen, you planning on tidying up the junction box under the stem? Have to say it's nice to see a decent bar drop as well.

Yeah I'm leaning towards grabbing myself one of these and rebuilding it to be honest, the paint job on the '14 S-Works isn't a touch on the first limited edition run last year either. Can't see where the extra money would go other than on the name.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm 

Thanks, I used a Ti drill bit and cleaned up the bore using a dremel. Yes, definitely have to tidy up that mini nest under the stem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:44 am 

Sweet looking Allez! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:35 am 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
That is a clever bike build. Aluminium frames are better these days, and it is just not sensible to chuck loads of money at a high-end carbon frame when technology moves on so quickly - unless you are very well off, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:04 pm 

Thats a very nice looking Allez - I love the custom Di2 integration and clever use of the grommet kit results in a very pro finish :)

I'm going to be drilling my alu Heckler soon for a dropper post - how did you drill the holes? Did you start with a smaller pilot hole then a bigger bit?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:40 pm 

GT8 wrote:
Thats a very nice looking Allez - I love the custom Di2 integration and clever use of the grommet kit results in a very pro finish :)

I'm going to be drilling my alu Heckler soon for a dropper post - how did you drill the holes? Did you start with a smaller pilot hole then a bigger bit?

Thanks! I first used a centerpunch to mark the spot, then about a regular 3mm drill bit, finished the job with a 6mm Ti bit. Make sure you tape the bit a little from the tip so it will stop you from drilling any further since the tube diameter is small, especially on my rear chain stay. Keep the bit moving at all times even when withdrawing the bit, this will keep the bore clean. I finished off with a sanding stone bit on my dremel to get rid of any sharp edges or burrs, you can use a file as well. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:13 pm 

Regarding the cables there is room in the levers for the excess. But you need to fix this before doing the tape :-( Thanks for the credits :-)

My CAAD10:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109014

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:13 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next