by SLCBrandon

Awesome build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

This is simply amazing. Once you have the skewers I think you have done just about everything possible. Can you tell us a little bit more about how it rides and how you use it?

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

BrianVarick wrote:This is simply amazing. Once you have the skewers I think you have done just about everything possible. Can you tell us a little bit more about how it rides and how you use it?

In my opinium feels great riding it, a lot different from any other full suspensions bikes I've ridden before. Because of the steeper headtube it gives you the sensation of a very fast bike, its kind of a small size hard tail 29er bike on the corners, the bike is really tight and fast, awsome for XCO.

The new brain is very tight and in my opinium even more precise than the 2013 model, it does a great job on reading every bump on the terrain. I also think that the setup became more simple and easy to tune than the older model.

The frame is very well build with a perfect paint and finish job, but It is not a very light frame as I expected it would be, the frame weighted 2205g, wich is only 30g lighter than my older epic 2013 s-works frame.

There is not much left for me to do, the only thing is the QR15 thru axle from Extralite, and that means about 30g less. I also have some training wheels (ZTR Race rims + Extralite Hyperfront + Hypercamber + CX Ray Sapin + Fast track front and renegade rear tires), with that set up the bike goes a little heavier, didnt wheight yet, but will probalby be around 9100g.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

That is one awesome bike! 8)

liketoride

by liketoride

wow that is a really nice bike. great work.

devinci

by devinci

solid ride, it need close up pictures: tires, rims, hubs, bar, everything!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

That is awesome! I love the epics and this is a premium example!

boots2000

by boots2000

Nice bike. But with a 36 tooth there must not be much climbing by you.
Everyone I know with 29ers built with XX1 need a 28 chainring.

devinci

by devinci

I guess it depends what sort of riding and efforts you want to put out. I can race any XCO race here in my 39/36 but it is at race pace, we have a lot of short steep climbs here. When I train I rarely use my 26T at all.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I run a 32 with XX1 on my 29er and do plenty of climbing, thinking about swapping to a 34.

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

boots2000 wrote:Nice bike. But with a 36 tooth there must not be much climbing by you.
Everyone I know with 29ers built with XX1 need a 28 chainring.

For races here where I leave the perfect set up it would be a 34 or 36T chainring, here we have lots of short and steep climbs on the races also and you can go throw those climbs with the bigger chainrings. I also have the 30, and 32T chainrings for special ocasions like a 15 or 20 degrees climbs or long and big climbs, most of the guys that I know who rides XX1 uses 34T or 36T, for XCO races goes really well, but that depends a lot on the riders condition also.
Last edited by GustavoSouza on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanW

by DanW

Really gorgeous bike and great weight!

I think the fork and rims complement the unique frame nicely :D

Maybe some rear mech tuning (Fibre Lyte cage/ jockey wheels/ bolts) and a direct mount ring could drop some weight but it'd be 75g at most???

Aesthetically, removing the decals on the cranks is all I would personally do.

Such minimal and picky things... basically it is an awesome bike :beerchug:

GustavoSouza

by GustavoSouza

DanW wrote:Really gorgeous bike and great weight!

I think the fork and rims complement the unique frame nicely :D

Maybe some rear mech tuning (Fibre Lyte cage/ jockey wheels/ bolts) and a direct mount ring could drop some weight but it'd be 75g at most???

Aesthetically, removing the decals on the cranks is all I would personally do.

Such minimal and picky things... basically it is an awesome bike :beerchug:

Thats a good point, I will check the rear tunning, do you know if Fibre Lyte is already building the XX1 cage?
About the direct mount ring, I am waiting for the new Carbon Ti XmonoSync, by replacing the spider plus chainring I would take off about 30 or 35g, wich means a lot now...
Thanks Dan! :beerchug:

DanW

by DanW

Thats a good point, I will check the rear tunning, do you know if Fibre Lyte is already building the XX1 cage?

It is listed on their website but only saves 9g. There aren't too many good value super light 12T pulleys but cheap KCNC 12T pulleys have dropped another 10g on my XX1 mech and work perfectly. The mech has quite a lot of bolts so there must be scope for another 5-10g although a lot of them are odd sizes and hard to find alu replacements for (e.g. narrow head on the cable pinch bolt). That's 25g towards the weight loss... minimal but every little helps!

Can you tune the remote cables for the shocks as you would the gear cables?

Can you also run the rear brake hose under the top tube, through the shock mount and along the top of the NDS seat stay? Just a thought to allow it to be shorter and perhaps avoid the large loop there currently is by the caliper.

Any possibility of Ti frame/ shock bolts?

Can you lose some weight with a new rear bolt thru?

Maybe less sealant in the wheels too? Although it'd be a minimal weight loss (presumably that large(ish) amount of sealant is required for the 29er tyres).

Really love those rims! Would be good to know how they ride and if they live up to the hype (and price tag!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com