Ordered an Trek Emonda SL-8 last week

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wicked2010

by wicked2010

After riding a 2011 Cannondale Super Six for the last 3 years it was time for a change. I loved my SS a lot but the rear end took me sometime getting use to. So I had to choice between Shimano DA or SRAM Red. I decided to go with Shimano this time around. Bike should be here the first week of November. I'm hoping sooner. I've read many reviews on this bike and haven't really seen anything to terribly bad about it.

Did I make the right call on ordering this bike?

highdraw

by highdraw

Except you should have ordered Red22. ;)
Congrats and please share a review with us when you get it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The Emonda with DA 9000 is an awesome package. At approx 6.15kg starting weight with alloy clinchers you can easily drop 500g off there by swapping wheels for Tubulars and changing to the new Bontrager barstem combo.

I have a Madone with Red and just fitted DA to my Parlee. The DA shifting is far better, specially the front shifting, which is like a switch. Push the lever and you are on the big chainring, similar to Di2.
In my experience having had 2010 and new Red, Dura Ace keeps working well even when a few years old.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

wicked2010

by wicked2010

I'm pretty excited to be using DA 9000 stuff. I know many that use it and love it. Now I just have to wait for my order to get to me.

highpowernut

by highpowernut

Enjoy the dura ace. It's a great choice. I love mine so much had to upgrade both bikes. Road and tt.
Using Tapatalk

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Ozrider wrote:The Emonda with DA 9000 is an awesome package. At approx 6.15kg starting weight with alloy clinchers you can easily drop 500g off there by swapping wheels for Tubulars and changing to the new Bontrager barstem combo.

I have a Madone with Red and just fitted DA to my Parlee. The DA shifting is far better, specially the front shifting, which is like a switch. Push the lever and you are on the big chainring, similar to Di2.
In my experience having had 2010 and new Red, Dura Ace keeps working well even when a few years old.

This.

Good call.

wicked2010

by wicked2010

Ozrider wrote:The Emonda with DA 9000 is an awesome package. At approx 6.15kg starting weight with alloy clinchers you can easily drop 500g off there by swapping wheels for Tubulars and changing to the new Bontrager barstem combo.

This is what I like to read about. DA is great stuff bottom-line. I've used SRAM Force the last 3 years and it was very durable. Good stuff. This is my 1st time using Shimano DA. I'm pretty excited. I can't wait.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I'm in a similar boat - previously used 10s Force and Red for the past 4-5 years, before that used 10s 105/Ultegra mix. While SRAM is pretty reliable, Shimano is butter when setup correctly. I wanted smooth reliable shifting with my new bike, so went with DA9000. And the weight difference between DA9000 and Red22? ~130g, which be made up elsewhere like rotational weight. :twisted: I actually have an SLR frameset that I ordered in August, and should have it within the next couple weeks. Looking forward to building it up and sharing. :beerchug:

To answer your question: yes I think you made a great choice. :thumbup:

wicked2010

by wicked2010

highpowernut wrote:Enjoy the dura ace. It's a great choice. I love mine so much had to upgrade both bikes. Road and tt.

That's the goal. I can't wait. I wish it would just get here already. I have to wait until November.

wicked2010

by wicked2010

Here's the deal for my Emonda SL-8. Today I hit up my LBS to check in on my order. No change. What's nuts is they have the bike I want with SRAM Red 22. So my question is what do I do? November is the time of the arrival of the DA equipped Emonda or change the order to SRAM Red 22 and have it here next week. This is so damn confusing. Please chime in with your opinions. Both group-sets are amazing. Either one I get I'll be very happy.

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

Is building up a frameset a choice? If you can get the frame for $1400 and DA 9000 for $1800? You would have $1300 for wheels and finishing kit which would go a long way.

Norregard

by Norregard

Order times on the framesets are pretty long as well, so unless your LBS would be willing to strip the frame he currently has, it's unlikely that he'd have his bike sooner.

Also, but I haven't doublechecked this for this particular case, building up a frame is usually more expensive than buying a complete bike.

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

That may be true but if you break it down like this, it seems like you could get a very desirable build for less.

Frame: $1400
Dura Ace 9000: $1400
Dura Ace C24: $750
Cockpit: $500
$4050

wicked2010

by wicked2010

BrianVarick wrote:That may be true but if you break it down like this, it seems like you could get a very desirable build for less.

Frame: $1400
Dura Ace 9000: $1400
Dura Ace C24: $750
Cockpit: $500
$4050
Norregard wrote:Order times on the framesets are pretty long as well, so unless your LBS would be willing to strip the frame he currently has, it's unlikely that he'd have his bike sooner.

Also, but I haven't doublechecked this for this particular case, building up a frame is usually more expensive than buying a complete bike.

Building is more expensive and you didn't include a wheel set. Buying it complete is better priced. I sat down with my LBS and discussed it. I also have to come to conclusion I'm going to go with SRAM Red 22. Let me explain why, first of all my entire riding experience has been with Campy and SRAM over the last 10 years. Plus the SRAM just looks better to me and I love the double tap. It's way easier to use and the ergonomics are pretty good. And it's available right now. Like the Emonda Dura Ace equipped went get to me until late November. Why wait I'll have my Trek Emonda next week? So that's where I'm ATM.

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

The DA C24s were the wheelset... I was just bringing it up as a suggestion. I am not sure if building would work out, but on paper it seems like it would.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com