2013 Trek Madone 5.2 (AKA Project Fauxmonda)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Hey everyone. I recently had my 2010 Madone replaced by Trek under warranty, after breaking my 3rd seat post cap. Although this was not my first choice for my next bike (I would have preferred a 6-series Domane), I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. This bike will eventually become my vacation bike, but for now, it will serve as my "daily driver" so to speak.

The bike is on the heavy side at just under 8kg (7.99 or 17lbs, 10oz), however, this bike is pretty much stock, save for my Zipp 303 clinchers. As soon as I get all my components back from the bike shop next week, I'll post updated weights.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I apologize for the bad photos. I really didn't have a place to take the photos when I bought the bike. I'll post better photos this weekend. I'm still looking for a direction for this bike, since it will most likely be a temporary bike (this was an unexpected purchase).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I think it'll work well enough as it is if you are not sure how it'll fit your purpose. I'm very curious about how your three seat masts break; no damage to the seatpost part of the frame?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The frame was undersized on the area where the cap sits, causing stress on the bolts holding the cap onto the frame. Over time, the bolts, under stress, stretched to the breaking point and snapped. Each time, the snapped in the cap, and the bolts couldn't be pulled.

cerro

by cerro

Do you know how much the seatpost weights?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for the information - I was thinking of changing the bolt myself, as it seems to be taking out material from the socket it's in even without much tightening.

The standard 20mm setback seatmast weighs 132.5g on my scale. My 5mm setback seatmast weighs 134.4g.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I had a 2010 5-series, which is the tear-drop shaped seatpost. The current configuration is far superior to that one, because the bolt isn't load bearing, relative to rider weight. It only secures the clamp.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Here's a photo of the old Madone. It's specifically focused on the back of the bike, so you can see what the post looked like.

BTW, ordered my first set of upgrades for the bike: RXXXL stem & cages, as well as the Affinity RXL Carbon saddle. I'll post photos when the parts come in.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I was able to pick up a set of new DA9000 Direct Mount brakes off ebay a moment ago. Let the build-up begin!

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

funny that they would give you a new 5.2 when they just had the massive recall on the new Madones over the front brake failures. I wonder if yours is contaminated

Ozrider

by Ozrider

My LBS already has a stock of replacement front brakes and have swapped them out within a few days of the " recall"

Not a big issue, and FIJIGabe is using Dura Ace brakes anyway, so in his case a total non- issue.
I have a 2014 Madone 5.9 as a "training" bike, but it is so good to ride that I'm now using it for most races, preserving my Parlee Z5 for long hills rides and longer training rides.

@FIJIGabe - im looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I came down with something last week. Updates: the DA brakes came in on Saturday, and I'm sourcing parts off eBay and wherever I can find some good deals. I'm also waiting on all the old parts from my old Madone to come back to me, so I can part that out, and use the funds to underwrite some of the cost of the upgrade.

Regarding the brakes, this bike was affected, but the repair was straight forward. Since I'll be using this bike with the DA brakes for a while, then downgrading it when I get a 2015 next year, I will be keeping the new brakes in storage.

I'll post upgrades as they come along, however I plan on upgrading everything to DA at once. For now, however, I'll be throwing on some of the ancilary parts, like a new saddle, stem, etc. Weight will come down a little, but I'm nto expecting anything earth-shattering. Hopefully I'll get it down to about 17lbs before the components go on.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Took some photos of the new bike.

ImageImage

And here it is next to my Speed Concept

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Upgraded some parts today. Still waiting on my RXL handlebar, but I swapped out the rest of the cockpit. As you can see, I was able to drop 17g. Not much, but it is a start. The DA9000 parts are starting to arrive, so that will make a big difference.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The 5 series Madones are a fantastic "budget" race bike at about half the price of a 7 series.
I'm watching your build with interest as I'm waiting for the new EE brakes direct mount to be available and then fitting my Edge 1.38 Tubulars. Should be able to get the weight to 6.6kg or below on my 5.9
FIJIGabe, what is your impression of the ride/handling and what 2015 model Madone are you thinking of getting?

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com