XPREZO T-29 steel 29er 10,04 kg - update May 22

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I like it. Well made. No nonsense.

DanW

by DanW

Looks really good! I think the only aesthetic change I'd make to the frame is to lose the white underside of the downtube but that is being super picky. It does match the inside decals of the forks well though. A modern build on a steel frame always looks great :thumbup:

I also like the look of their 29 full sus on the site although I guess that will be one porky beast. Looks awesome with Enve rims on the site too- maybe some Chinese carbon rims on this bike? They seem to be the go to rims for people racing 29ers...

1x10, 1x11 or double? 1x10 XTR would look best but I quite like XX1 for everything outside pure XC racing where the range really helps you out.

Kitting this frame out with the latest New Ultimate bar, stem, seatpost should be light, reasonably cheap and the black/ white logos match really well with the frame.

XTR brakes and job's a good 'un :D

Edited as I missed the BB and headset in the final weight, sorry!
Last edited by DanW on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Dan, the Xprezo W-29 full suspension can be brought to 23lbs without much hassle. The front triangle is aluminium and the rear triangle is steel. I recon it can be lowered to 21lbs by a weight weenie, thats not including a 1x drive train.

As for my drive train, I keep that under wrap for further updates :D

Here are a couple of scale shots. The 2002g weight includes the press fit GXP bottom bracket and the headset lower external cup!

Frame including bottom bracket and lower headset cup

Uncut rockshox SID RLT including the 15mm axle

rear rockshox maxle

devinci

by devinci

So I weighted the stock headset cover and found out something

It has an integrated spacer to sit on the top headset bearing. I wanted to use a thin, light headset cover but it would'nt touche the bearing.

I dug out my thin spacers but even 10 of them would'nt do the trick, so I took a 5mm steerer spacer with a few thin ones and it works!

The other thing you can see is a rubber seal

Final weight

A few grams saved but the steerer spacer and other thin spacer means it is not as light as I would have liked it to be.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

It will be a nice looking hardtail once built up; and the zing given from steel is fantastic.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The welds look top notch.

KWalker

by KWalker

Nice bike! Its really interesting to see a lot of people I know going back to steel or alloy 29ers. Very simple looking and its always great racing something unique, local, and handmade.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

devinci

by devinci

Thanks guys for the comments!

A few more shots for you guys, the handlebar will be the ENVE sweep flat bar, 740mm wide, it won't be cut, wide bars are boss! I think the ENVE matte black will complement nicely to the frame glossy black while maintaining the white logos theme.

The stem is a bit porky at 133g, though I like it can it looks good, the angle is a must.

devinci

by devinci

Some more weights and a question for you guys. My stock seatpost clamp weights 26g. I need to find a lighter 30mm clamp. I don't want anything like the MT Zoom 5g clamp but something in the 11-15g range would be good. Any place I can find such a clamp, in black?

I have a package coming up today, more parts and pictures to follow

The ENVE setback seatpost

Temporary saddle, I want to get another full carbon one with a cutout in the middle, in matte black

DanW

by DanW

I don't want anything like the MT Zoom 5g clamp

Any reason why not? I have been using one since they first went on sale and it has held the seatpost perfectly in 2 different frames, it is one of the few nice, light clamps in the size you need and the minimalist look should fit well with the skinny steel frame you have :D

Gripshft 2x10 too?

devinci

by devinci

I am concerned it will not pinch the steel tube enough to tighten the seatpost enough to prevent slippage. I may even attempt to drill, cut, tune my current clamp, à-la-old-weight-weenie-style.

The gripshift box is a trap!!!! Nothing to do with the build ;)

DanW

by DanW

I didn't even notice the box it was the gripshifters in the background :D

I would imagine that if the clamp can hold a seatpost fine on a stiff carbon fibre frame then it should be fine on a steel frame although I now understand your concerns. It might be worth getting in touch with Ant @ Mt Zoom to see what he thinks but any other clamp will have a 5Nm max torque (the MT Zoom 5g one is 4Nm) and that extra 1Nm shouldn't make any difference. You shouldn't need to crank up a seatclamp bolt to stop the seatpost slipping otherwise it would suggest a poorly designed frame I'd have thought...

Are you planning on building new wheels for the new frame?

devinci

by devinci

I will be keeping my already pretty light racing wheelset, which I will eventually show here. If I can sell my Vertex 29er, then I will buy some lighter wheels, if I can find some good handbuilt combos.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

nspace wrote:They really beat you over the head with advertising the fact that it's handmade!

The rear stays could have been left clean, no doubt. Not really required in there.

But then, I think we're noticing it more as it's still a frameset. Built up I imagine it won't be as apparent.

Less though is, a lot of the time, more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

What size is your headtube?

I ran into a similar issue when building a x-small EMD 9 for a friend. In his case the fork steerer (used fork) was a bit short. It came with a similar FSA bearing cover as yours. So ended up using a "Slam that Stem" cover. Had to use a few shims...but works great.

If you're looking for a few extra mm's lower. It may work.