Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Quinn039

I think SRM products just look simple and clean. I have owned a Quarq MTB unit and the design was much more clunky and unrefined versus the SRM spider. SRM's are just that, simple looking, simple functions, works all the time and bombproof, it's what I need. :thumbup:

krzysiekmz

I hear you RE WW parts. This bike is not intended to be sub X,XX kg for many reasons. My first goal is to make a nice looking bike with reliable yet decently light components. This bike will see a lot of training rides and a lot of races as well. Having had unfortunate DNF because of mechanical in the past, my phylosophy regarding my race bike for olympic cross-country is it must be reliable and strong to get me to the finish line, otherwise, it's worth nothing. I put a lot fo energy in my physical preparation toward high level races, I can't afford to DNF because my nice WW seatpost snaps or my tires blow off or whatever else. The bike will be equiped with high end performance components, such as ENVE as you can see, my SRM and some more components to come. I think the most WW parts are the 1440g wheelset, which isn't exactly light but light enough. If I invest in a weight reduction, it will certainly be the wheelset, but I'd want it to loose significant weight, i-e. at least 250g...

I may be looking for a lighter stem though so if you guys have any suggestions for a lighter stem in -17 deg, I'd gladly listen to it. Of course it needs to be reasonably priced.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy the build so far and what the bike looks like!

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Updates?

bally81

by bally81

Updates exactly.. we want to see at least the complete bike :wink:
Caad 10
Bianchi EV3
Canyon Speedmax AL

devinci

by devinci

hey guys!!!

I am still waiting on the rear brake. I was told the 985 may be discountinued (from where I purchased it). I will know better today.

So now I have basically 2 options:

1- buy the 985 brake elsewhere

2- return the front 985 and be sent the new 987 magnesium XTR brakes for 240$ each. They will refund the shipping.

My only problem with the 987 brakes is I already have some XTR i-spec shifters and im not sure they will be compatible. The m987 are i-spec b-type compatible. Maybe you guys can help me out, see here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122355

afalts

by afalts

Hey devinci,

I haven't heard anything about 985's being discontinued, but stock seems to be quite limited everywhere, Shimano isn't releasing another run of them until Late Jan/Early Feb.

The 987's may be hard to find, scoop some up if they have them in stock. Shimano N-A doesn't have any, with an ETA of March 28.

devinci

by devinci

XTR 987s coming my way, should get them tomorrow or on monday

;)

afalts

by afalts

Very nice, please post weights!

devinci

by devinci

Soooooooooooooooooooooo.................................................

Here they are!! Nice way to top off a weird friday at work: wine and sick looking brakes. There is very little pictures and information on these on the internet. Un fortunately the only thing I can provide is verified weights and crappy pictures. I won't give you guys a ride report before a long time because we can't ride over here.

Overall they look amazing, well built. I hope they perform well too.

Weights are with full length hoses

Front brake 189g

Rear brake 205g

Brake lever carbon blade

Brake lever i-spec fitting area

Brake lever

Caliper

Caliper bolts are Ti

DanW

by DanW

Thanks for the pics and weights :thumbup:

Only 16g saved on the front and 24g saved on the rear brake compared to my XTR M985's... not such a great saving but they do look good.

Seems my skepticism that the claimed 30g saving per end takes in to account Ti hardware rather than steel on the latest version- not weight saving just in the caliper and lever.

devinci

by devinci

yup!
Standard steel Shimano bolts are 10g VS 5g for the Ti ones.

Anyways, still a nice saving and nice looking brake. Will see how much hose needs to be cut.

devinci

by devinci

Lastest updates guys!!

Installed the new XTR brakes and shortened the lines, bled the brakes too. Installed the XTR 2 way release shifters and the bottle cage with aluminium bolts.

The rear brake adapter has 2 black titanium bolts and both caliper have titanium bolts as well. I wanted to switch the brake lever bolts to black aluminium ones but they are hard to screw in and I don't want to force anything. Im not sure if the pitch is different or if the black color makes it harder to screw in.

Next will be the rear derailleur and figuring out how much cable and housing I need. Hopefully, it looses a little weight there.

DanW

by DanW

Looking good!

I wanted to switch the brake lever bolts to black aluminium ones but they are hard to screw in and I don't want to force anything. Im not sure if the pitch is different or if the black color makes it harder to screw in

I found exactly the same thing with the 985's. I put it down to maybe the alu bolts being off spec but they fit fine in other threads elsewhere on the bike. All I can think is that there might be some threadlock in the lever body which makes the bolt hard to screw in. I went for Ti bolts in the end for peace of mind and only gained 1-2g vs Alu.

devinci

by devinci

having an issue here

the rear wheel, when installed, will have the rotor rub in the caliper, major rub. I am using a 160mm adaptor and 160mm rotor. What the heck is wrong here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Frame issue. Try a thin spacer between caliper and adapter, usually works fine.