Brainstorming a project bike build..

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

latestart

by latestart

First of all thanks in advance for ideas/comments/feedback.

This project is to build a frame that I bought 10 years ago that has been hanging in my closet. The goals are:

1) *Decent* weight. It is a 1990's Columbus SL frame, so it won't be a 15lb bike. If I can keep it under 18lbs, that would be great.
2) Interesting build. Would like to do some interesting things and possibly change the configuration over time.
3) Great looking and *different* than the stuff off-the-rack at the LBS.

Frame:
63cm 1990's Tommaso frame. It is naked right now, it has never been painted or built up. I am working with a local guy to do a unique paint scheme. The frame without fork is just under 5lbs.

I have the stock threaded fork, but I am looking around for a 1" carbon fork - a bit hard to find these days.

Parts that *could* be used on the build:
1) Full 1980's campy NR groupset with DT shifters. Prefer not to use the BB or headset as they are very heavy.
2) Full Shimano 600 8-speed groupset with brifters
3) FSA 10-speed compact crank

Parts I have and plan to use on the build:
4) Good lightweight aluminum seatpost/seat
5) I have 3 possible wheelsets that can be shared with other bikes if I have sram/shimano groupset. If campy, can convert one wheelset for perm use with this bike. I have askium, bontrager Race X and Fulcrum 1 wheelsets. The Fulcrums need to stay shimano for my primary bike.
6) Campy NR or Shimano 600 brakes
7) If I use DT shifters, the Campy NR hoods are available

Parts to buy:
7) bars and stem -- thinking about carbon from china

Option 1: MicroShift or Ultegra parts to the FSA crank, brifter shifting.
Option 2: Same as #1 with CAMPY friction Down Tube shifters.
Option 3: Buy used 10-speed Athena group (great look for the frame)
Option 4: Buy used SRAM 10-speed group

I am guessing that option 2 will be the lightest, followed by 4, 1 and 3?

Odd-ball Questions:
* Could I change the *chain guide* wheels in the Campy NR derailleur and use with FSA crank, Shimano 10-speed chain and cassette and DT campy friction shifters -- that would be a great hack!

* Could I use the Campy NR crank with modern chainrings and have it as part of a 10-speed set up?

* If I can't find a carbon 1" fork, what is the lightest available metal fork?

Any other ideas for the build are welcome.

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

Here's something like you're considering. I used all silver components, mostly Record and C-Record. The rear mech is Athena, shifters are Record 9 speed converted to 10. The Shamals are converted to 9/10 speed freehub. Bars are 3TTT Superlegerro, seatpost American Classic Ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latestart

by latestart

How much does it weigh?

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

latestart : The frame is made from Columbus Spirit tubing and bare weighs almost exactly 4 lbs (1800 grams) . Not much consideration was given to saving weight, as per the Regal saddle, touring stem (flipped), Elite cages, steel QR's, Campy BB and Headset, not to mention the Shamals.

As built (without pump, bottle or blinky light)it weighs 19 lbs, which I remember back in the 90's was considered pretty light. I know I could trim 2 or 3 lbs by going to DT shifters (I have some plastic bodied Campy Aero brake levers) and lighter wheelset, BB, saddle and stem.

The stock fork pictured here weighs 590 grams, but I found a 355 gram 1 inch Bianchi XL fork on ebay which I may one day use but I have a Columbus steel fork (complete with Bianchi logo crown) that I'm getting converted to threadless.

latestart

by latestart

That's a great looking bike!

As you can see from the OP, I am not sure exactly which way to go. This will be an occasional use bike so it doesn't *have* to have brifters, but I haven't ridden DT shifters since 1991, so it will be a new/old experience.

Thanks for the pictures, helpful.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great project! I'm more a fan of the old frame with new components crew.

(please never ever use the word brifter again. shifter will do :thumbup: Thanks!)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JLFast

by JLFast

I did something similar to a 90's Benoto frame a few years back... I ended up getting carried away and used all Ti bolts, M2 Racer Pedals and QR's, Carbon Seat and Tubular wheelset. Even as much Carbon from Fibre-Lyte as I could get. Was no longer period correct or anything close, and still overweight thanks to the base I started with, but it was a fun process and I learned a great deal! Looking forward to seeing your project finished!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com