Custom build CX/gravel/winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

esfrost

by esfrost

Loving the color scheme, reminds of this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giant man

by giant man

hey beancouter, the fork that came with your frame - no good? or just too heavy? thanks

Beancouter

by Beancouter

100g heavier; can't say if any good or not as I didn't try it. That said, asylum cycles came to the conclusion that using a different fork transformed the bike - they went for a Columbus carbon disc.

I opted for 3t in part because I had them on my old cervelos but also on offer at wiggle.

giant man

by giant man

thanks mate, looks a nice fork

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Back from first ride; bike is really comfortable and handles well. Front end is a bit 'soft' which I think is mainly the zipp carbon bars (or maybe the extralite stem). May have a swop around with other bits I've got to see how they change the ride.

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Hi,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but wondering how you're getting on with this bike a few months on, and also wonder how you know it's the same as the Asylum Meuse - is it just based on looks, or do you know they are the same?

Thanks,

Leon

Beancouter

by Beancouter

It is fantastic; I have mainly used it on road over the winter plus a little trail riding. It is comfortable over 50 miles (my commute), is pretty snappy off the line and holds speed well. The one thing to bear in mind is that mine has 3t forks which are nice and compliant. Only issue has been the sram hydraulics......

In terms of why I believe it is a meuse, did quite a lot of due diligence; putting aside the identical geometry, (I wanted a short head tube which is not that common on a CX) the very distinctive tube profiles and the cable routing which isn't actually that common on a CX either. Oh, and asylum admitted theirs was open mold.

The one slight anomaly is that asylum state that their BB is PF30 (and mine is BB30). That said, despite what the website states I think that asylums is BB30 too ......

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

I'm in the market for a new CX bike, but it will be used for real CX racing, and at it's most brutal in the 3peaks race. I really like the look of this frameset, but euqally, I wonder if for piece of mind I shouldn't just buy one from a brand I trust. My thinking was if it's definitely the Meuse CX, and if those guys put their name against it, then they must be comfortable with the quality. I guess there is always a chance that direct purchase has a different layup, worse QC, etc.

Same old debate as always with Chinese carbon frames. If still time trialled, I would definitely buy one as a TT rig though. Low impact, low mileage, so you get a lot for your cash.

Leon

Beancouter

by Beancouter

That was my theory too - good enough for asylum, good enough for me!

If in doubt, you could always ask them directly. I have a sneaking suspicion that they also produce for other brands - never asked as wasn't that bothered ... But intrigued to know!

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

great minds...

I emailed them earlier, and asked them to confirm. I didn't ask if it was the bike or not, just asked them if it was the same quality, with the inferred assumption that it is the same bike. Let's see what they say!

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

confirmed as the same. 2 year warrenty, and they have special machines that test the frames to EN quality. All sounds convincing eough to me.

downside is that they don't have an XL in stock, which is what I need :-( My current cross bike has a 57TT which already feels too short. Dropping another cm will definitely be too small.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

What's the delay on the XL? I felt as though mine was built to order (ie a couple of weeks lead time).

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

I asked - they don't build XL as a stock item, MOQ of 5 if I want an XL. Now trying to find some other people who would like one. I think I have a consortium of 3 frames so far. Need two more!

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

update: PF30 is an option at maunfacture, e..g if you order 5 or more, you can specify a different BB. This is how the Meuse has PF30, but these have BB30.

Turns out they do have an XL in stock (well, 3!), so I've ordered one. I'm going to try the stock fork, as I don't have the spare cash (at least until i sell a few things) for a really nice build like yours.

Can you tell me what size front mech clamp it has? 34.9, I'm guessing...

Mine will be a transfer build with DA 9spd, BB7's, Ritchey WCS finishing kit (carbon seatpost, the rest alloy), Fizik Arionne saddle. I'll definitely need a new front mech, and I need a new set of wheels; probably Hope 29er wheels with Crests (probably 32 spoke version, as I will be abusing mine off road), so, it won't be a weight weenie build, but I'm hoping to get in under 9kg.

in the future, I would like to switch to a CX1 hydraulic setup, but that's pricey.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

finally subscribing to the topic!