Custom build CX/gravel/winter bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Glad the PF30 / BB30 cleared up. On hols at the moment but will check clamp when I get home. Almost certain it is a 34.9. I was lucky on the fork as wiggle were selling at neatly half price - still quite a lot compared to the frame but I sold the stock fork in eBay so the extra was 'only' about £130 (from memory). Surprising how few tapered CX forks there are on the market (although are becoming a bit more common).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

it's harder to get a non-tapered disc cx fork. I needed one for my current bike, and in the end, the best option seemed to be the Kinesis one, but not that light as a carbon alloy hybrid thing. All the nice full carbon ones are tapered these days.

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Hey Beancounter, Just putting mine together now (slow job, as I decided to race my old ti bike one last time at the the three peaks, so in no hurry now), and I noticed a few small holes on the frame, e.g. one 2/3rd the way down the LH seatstay.

Does yours have anything like that? Seems odd to me. They're like the holes on steel frames to let gasses escape when welding.

Quite excited about getting it up and running for the real CX season though. It's going to be light (I hope). I've got to be practical too, so it's got a beefy PF30 (yep, despite what they said, mine came as PF30!!) BB, sensible 32h tubs, and old faithful SPD's, but I'm also going for a 1x10 setup, using a mix of Red cranks + race face narrow wide ring, X9 rear mech, and Force shifters with the LH gutted. My estimate at the moment is about 8kg, which if I make it I'll be very happy with as a large off road bike.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Sorry for delay; glad build coming together - look forward to seeing it. In terms of holes, mine has some too - suspect your right on reasons but I'm no carbon expert.

Mine is almost back together as have sram hydraulics back on. Looking forward to getting back on it......

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Even the shimano hydro levers are long. The length of hydro hoods is one reason mine will use cable discs, love the frame/build (I can imagine with other levers). Single speed CX disc brake bike uhmm oh I have one in the shop wrong sixe for me though that was stupid wasn't it!

The carbon rim look good.