HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Marin stelvio di2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 am 

Hi, I've been lurking the site for a few years now. Figured out I should takes the time to introduce myself and my shitbox. Marin's bike doesn't seems to get any love around, but it is my second and I really like how they ride. I guess being friend with their ex concept store owner kind of help too. I'm not done bulding yet, we had to put it together fast for the season ending after m bike flew off my roof rack on the highway.

7.4kg as it stands right now (including garmin sensors+mount+bottle cages&pedals):

I know, non matching isn't to everyone's taste, but wanted to build something different. Basically:
Marin stelvio 49cm
Shimano ultegra di2 6870
Sella italia SLR flow
Ritchey wcs carbon seatpost
Still waiting for the carbon bar+stem (should be easton ec90)
Mavic R-Sys (wich are quite heavier then their listed weight by almost 100g)
Michelin pro4 sc + vittoria tube
Look keo2+

Looking for suggestions to put the weight down a bit as it seems quite heavy, but I guess there's no miracle with 6870 ... I've weighted almost every components, so might update the list if needed.
It's been built with a FSA pf30 BB with adapters, wheelsmfg makes it all in one piece, but not that much lighter. Is there any other solutions weight/quality/price ?

Old one before it went superman

Thanks.

Post subject: Marin stelvio di2
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 am 

Post subject: Re: Marin stelvio di2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:07 am 

I see you found the front wheel of your old bike... surprised the tyre is still on the rim..

Check out the Praxis BB30 adapter, from what I hear they're the best in the market

My Giant Defy Advanced

Post subject: Re: Marin stelvio di2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:00 am 

I was lucky enough to have the pickup truck far enough so he could stop right before the bike but he had no choice to ran over the front wheel. My sportrack broke and the front wheel split from the fork (yakima frontloader), so I managed to stop close enough from him to get everything back.

The praxis BB looks promising, might makes it easier with the internal routing. I do have a fsa slk crankset laying around, and I'm having a hard time to justify the shimano one compared to a proper bb30 crankset. Dont't want to sacrifice any shifting/performance tough, so it will probably stay on.
Also, put the front derailleur clamp on the scale (shimano sm-ad67), and was surprised by it's boat anchor weight (30g). So clearly, I'm sure there's a good weight saving right there. Any idea ?