Crux 2016 - new colormatched saddle and seatpost

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

frohrider

by frohrider

Got a Specialized Crux 2016 two weeks ago and had time do some initial rides and proper fitting - as I got an Elite X1 there is a lot of weight optimization potential in the parts but nonetheless my expectations where fulfilled. Compared to my 2015 E5 Crux (see here) the trueaxle improves the steering and wheel changes are easier on the hands than with my skewers.
Working with full internal routed hydro cables is a mess.. I changed the bars to a 3T carbon one with internal routing an it took me over 3h to do it (disassembling levers, bleeding, fitting, fishing cables 7x(!), wrapping). This week I'll hopefully get some time to use it as intended and do some proper pictures.

Planned short term changes - Crankset (might use my Rotor InPower), Seatpost & Saddle (the OEM Parts are about 560gr)

Initial weight was more than 9kg (Size XXL/61cm). Currently it is at 8.7kg (switched bars to 3T Tornova, tubless conversion, straight hydro routing)
Last edited by frohrider on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

Birdman

by Birdman

I should have bought a Crux... ME LIKE!
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morkm

by morkm

Looks great!

preludervtec

by preludervtec

I've got the frameset and stock axis 4.0 wheelset on order right now. Can you provide any details on the axis wheelset? I was told by my bike shop that they weigh 1650g, 26mm wide, 21mm wide internal, 23mm deep and tubeless compatible. Is that pretty accurate?

Birdman

by Birdman

Do you guys all have SCS rear hub?
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

frohrider

by frohrider

@preludervtec: the wheel specs should be right - I could convert them to tubeless easy, there is a support in the hook area for the tire, and the OEM 33mm Terra Pro is about 36mm measured when mounted. So it is wide and the cornering stability of the tire compared to my old wheelset (Stans Iron Cross with Rocket Ron/Ralph) seems like I have some room left for lower airpressure. About the weight - I didn't have them weighted without rotors and cassette but I think they are about 1750gr.

I switched the saddle and setpost to a ritchey superlogic (158gr with ti bolt) / flite carbon (178gr) - the complete weight is now about 8.5kg.. the next step would be wheels, but with the limited options currently I`ll skip that. Spiderless rings and Stem maybe..
Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

frohrider

by frohrider

I've done some customization.. the oem seatpost and saddle were a bit porky so the had to go elsewhere. I did a full leather wrap on a tune kom-vor and did paint a ritchey superlogic post. Also replaced the superlogic bolt with a black ti one. Weights are 129gr for the saddle and 159gr for the post.

I got some matching bartape as well, but I'm unsure about the amount of yellow that I would be comfortable with.. time will tell :)

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Oh, YEAH! Looks great. Very handy work. Nicely done!

I think yellow bar tape would be way too much though. What about something smaller, perhaps yellow bar ends or a top cap?

serious1

by serious1

What kind of leather and adhesive did you use to cover the saddle? I've got a Selle Italia SLR that needs the be covered. Great looking Crux. I miss mine.

frohrider

by frohrider

@serious1: My local leather store didn't have so many yellow leathers in this specific tone - that's why I went with a slightly thicker leather then planned (the SLR is covered with very thin leather). They also use it for babyshoes, so it should be ok on a cx bike ;). As adhesive I used contact glue. Applied to both surfaces it softens the leather a bit so its better to work with and final adhesion is very strong. If you ever need to redo the job be prepared..

thebuny

by thebuny

How did you "print" the S logo?

frohrider

by frohrider

I did apply the logo with a vinyl sticker that I had - I used the outer part as mask and used an permanent marker. It's o.k. till now, but I don't expect it to last forever. The full leather cover makes the komm-vor much better suited to cx riding. The added grip is helping while climbing and in steep technical sections.

I brought the weight down to ~8210gr . The stem was switched to an 3T Arx Team (-50gr), a 38t direct mount chainring (-60gr) and a red cassette (-120gr). The wheels would have ~400gr saving potential but SCS options are still limited.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Cool saddle. Mine looks like this at the moment: