Scott CR1 - 7.48kg Updated - Now 7.2kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Hi,

Been a member on here for a long time, but I am finally getting round to making a thread on my road bike. I bought/built it in June last year after my previous bike died in a crash in an RR.

At the moment it's 7.48kg(about 100g more than the theoretical weight which isn't too bad I think), but with a few more upgrades it could loose a lot. Build list is fairly simple:

Have just ordered a set of Campagnolo Record hubs/Ambrosio Nemesis rims as my everyday wheels(still unsure on which tyres to run though).

I think that's about it. I want to get the weight down to 6.8kg in race trim, but not really sure where the most economic places to loose the weight are outwith the usual seatpost/saddle/stem/bars and maybe cranks. Suggestions welcome!

P.S. - Sorry for the terrible photo!

Thanks,

Campbell.
Last edited by campbellrae on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Nice! Like the look of that ride. Your best bet is definitely the crankset....upgrade to SRAM Red exogram and you are almost there!!

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Pedals are another place to lose 100g or more.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for pointing out the pedals, I had overlooked those. As btompkins said, first thing to change is the crankset, I think I should be able to save about 140g there with a switch to Red Exograms. Had really wanted the Hollowgrams but not an option on this frame unfortunately.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I saved 131g's Switching from Rival to Sram Red Exogram GXP Cranks.

Also you don't mention the Handlebars, but if you have the Scott ones that came stock, they weigh 359g, so easy scope to take another 160g there.

If you look at the Link to my CR1 Below, you can see some other changes you can make over the stock items.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

The bike was built up from a frame, so the bars aren't stock but certainly aren't light. I think they are around 300g but that still leaves at least 100g if I go to carbon. I'm tempted to stick with aluminium though, the Bike gets raced and crashes are inevitable, any suggestions on light and stiff alloy bars?

Your bike looks great btw!

Thanks,

Campbell.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Cheapo carbon seat post will save about 100g

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thought it was about time that I updated this wee thread, I have changed a lot on the bike! New build is shown below, but the changes are fairly simple:

Replaced the Sram Rival groupset with Ultegra 6800. This added a couple of hundred grams, but the performance is night and day so I can live with it.

Replaced the seatpost(saved 140g there alone!) and the stem.

The wheels are the lightest I have, and while I know I could save nearly 100g per tyre with something like Veloflex Record 22's, I love the ride of the FMB's, so that's not happening unless I build a super light set of wheels for occasional use.

Actual weight is 7.2kg

Weight with other wheels:

With my everyday Record/Nemesis wheels - 7.98kg

With my Williams System 58 race wheels - 7.45kg

Future plans:

Replace the cables with I-Links, not sure how much weight this would save, but I would hope for ~50g

Replace the bars, I'm not a fan of the shape and they weigh a ton, so they will be replaced soon. I'm thinking Williams Elan CCS, but not sure.

Possibly get a new saddle, I really like the Paradigm, so may upgrade to the lightest version, should save around 60g if I do.

I'm tempted to try Speedplay pedals as well, which should save another 50-100g depending on if I get a Ti axle kit off ebay as well.

I'm also eyeing up a DA-9000 crankset and rear mech at some point as well if I can find one at a good enough price.

I might order a set of light rims from China and lace them up to a set of the light BHS hubs as a bit of an experiment. But I'm 90kg so I'm a little wary of doing it. Was thinking of doing a 28h rear to stiffen things up a bit, but I'm really not sure if I'll go for it. At best, I think I would save 150g, but I suspect the wheels would be a lot less stiff than the Boras.

I think that's about it, cheers for looking.

KarlC

by KarlC

Nice CR1

You can see mine here if you like .....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129483
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com