Diet For Cervelo S5 TDF

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

anquetil

by anquetil

I think you frame is around 350 g havier than mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

NealHumphries wrote:Are there any reputable Ti bolt manufacturers that are well respected in the bike community?

Toronto Cycles - I've used them a few times as have many other members here.

http://www.torontocycles.com

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

anquetil wrote:I think you frame is around 350 g havier than mine.

Hmm, I wonder how much of that is down to the increased size and paint on mine, or whether mine is based around the standard S5 frame. I have asked on the Cervelo forum so hopefully I will get an answer on that soon...

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

mellowJohnny wrote:
NealHumphries wrote:Are there any reputable Ti bolt manufacturers that are well respected in the bike community?

Toronto Cycles - I've used them a few times as have many other members here.

http://www.torontocycles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks, I will investigate those later this afternoon :)

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

My 51 vwd was 15 even with 808s, ultegra di2 and a mix of alloy and carbon zipp parts. So this seems kind of heavy; are you sure the tdf 100th edition frames are vwd and not team?

You can get new clamps for the s5 that will support oval rails for your saddle now; which is a good place to lose some weight. I would also suggest switching to AICAN brake housings, you get some weight savings and combined with the DA brakes it give the most amazing brake feel.

Beyond that youre going to have start going with carbon cockpit bits or boutique lightweight parts (EE, AX lightness, Extralite, tune etc.).

anquetil

by anquetil

S5 TDF is not VVD frame! Also price for TDF complete bike is 2000 € less than VVD bike.

em3

by em3

anquetil wrote:S5 TDF is not VVD frame! Also price for TDF complete bike is 2000 € less than VVD bike.

+1...yes, precisely. In US, there is a $2000 price difference between Di2 equipped S5 LE and the S5 VWD....which as you indicate is evidence that the LE is not the VWD.

Regardless, you LE is still a great bike.

EM3

thencameyou

by thencameyou

carbon railed Antares will save you between 50-60g depending on model. a pair of arundel mandible cages would be the same weight as your single current Elite cage. other than that, ride the hell out of it, I have one fairly similar and am loving it.

nismosr

by nismosr

I wish i have the VWD but it's $2k extra but here's my build 54 s5 with 808/404 record 11, zipp sl stem and vuka sprint bar, M3 crankset, tune saddle,ee brakeset and look chromo carbon pedals weighing at 15lbs and with my campagnolo hyperon set drops a pound to 14lbs.

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I have been full circle with the bike in the past week. My first instinct was I want to sell the frame and buy a VWD, however, always up for a challenge, I am going to see what I can get the weight down to anyway. All the parts removed will be going onto my wet weather bike that I am building, based around an old 2009 Trek Madone 6.9 Pro so they won't go to waste.

From the links and tips that everyone has so kindly donated, and some research on the internet around the listed weights I think I can get the weight down by about a pound. Not going to be cheap though!

As a question, will an SRAM red 22 crank and chainset combination work with the rest of my DA Di2 setup?

Thanks as always,

N.

ill principe

by ill principe

I would not put a SRAM crank on that bike, if you really need to lighten the crankset going from 3DF to 3D+ will save you approx 60g and lighten your wallet by approx 400 Euro.

As someone who is actually building an S5 right now, my advice is to do a few relatively cheap upgrades and then just enjoy the bike for what it is. I would change:
1. Stem, 3T Arx II Team (or perhaps limited)
2. Saddle
3. Bottle cages (Tune or Arundel?)
4. Speedplay pedals
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

53x12

by 53x12

If you are going 9070, you might as well go 9000 crank imo.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

shoopdawoop wrote:My 51 vwd was 15 even with 808s, ultegra di2 and a mix of alloy and carbon zipp parts. So this seems kind of heavy; are you sure the tdf 100th edition frames are vwd and not team?

You can get new clamps for the s5 that will support oval rails for your saddle now; which is a good place to lose some weight. I would also suggest switching to AICAN brake housings, you get some weight savings and combined with the DA brakes it give the most amazing brake feel.

Beyond that youre going to have start going with carbon cockpit bits or boutique lightweight parts (EE, AX lightness, Extralite, tune etc.).

You can get oval rail clamps directly from Cervelo? Or aftermarket

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

ill principe wrote:I would not put a SRAM crank on that bike, if you really need to lighten the crankset going from 3DF to 3D+ will save you approx 60g and lighten your wallet by approx 400 Euro.

As someone who is actually building an S5 right now, my advice is to do a few relatively cheap upgrades and then just enjoy the bike for what it is. I would change:
1. Stem, 3T Arx II Team (or perhaps limited)
2. Saddle
3. Bottle cages (Tune or Arundel?)
4. Speedplay pedals

Thanks for the suggestions, the cranks are already 3D+, not having taken them off to weigh them, but looking at other peoples posts who have 3D+ and rotor rings, I think I can save around 80 grams by switching to an SRAM setup, but I am only willing to change if they will work properly?

I agree with the stem, saddle and bottle cage upgrades, though I was contemplating some look keo ti carbon pedals.

The weather is getting wetter and windier here by the day so getting out to enjoy the bike is getting harder :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

53x12 wrote:If you are going 9070, you might as well go 9000 crank imo.

Thanks. Does anyone know exactly how much the DA 9000 weighs, complete with rings?