Diet For Cervelo S5 TDF

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

justkeepedaling wrote:
shoopdawoop wrote:My 51 vwd was 15 even with 808s, ultegra di2 and a mix of alloy and carbon zipp parts. So this seems kind of heavy; are you sure the tdf 100th edition frames are vwd and not team?

You can get new clamps for the s5 that will support oval rails for your saddle now; which is a good place to lose some weight. I would also suggest switching to AICAN brake housings, you get some weight savings and combined with the DA brakes it give the most amazing brake feel.

Beyond that youre going to have start going with carbon cockpit bits or boutique lightweight parts (EE, AX lightness, Extralite, tune etc.).

You can get oval rail clamps directly from Cervelo? Or aftermarket

Which saddles have oval rails? Is that a new development?

ill principe

by ill principe

NealHumphries wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, the cranks are already 3D+, not having taken them off to weigh them, but looking at other peoples posts who have 3D+ and rotor rings, I think I can save around 80 grams by switching to an SRAM setup, but I am only willing to change if they will work properly?

My bad, presumed that all 3D+ have the red anodized center cap. As other have stated, if you are changing crankset go with DA 9000. But I would definitely stick with the Rotor.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thencameyou

by thencameyou

@NealHumphries:
Fizik braided carbon rails are oval (7x9.6mm) and don't fit in standard clamps. Last I checked the compatible clamps were only available aftermarket (I got mine from Bikes n Bites in Singapore)

greenplay

by greenplay

I got my s5 below 14lbs

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have ordered a set of oval clamps from Bikes n Bytes, fingers crossed they should arrive soon.

Some other upgraded parts that I have just picked up today from my extremely helpful LBS :) I will weigh the parts coming off on Monday. A few more parts to come...

thencameyou

by thencameyou

aaargh, the ARX Ltd looks sweet but light it ain't…rest of the build is progressing nicely however.

1415chris

by 1415chris

NealHumphries wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:Are there any reputable Ti bolt manufacturers that are well respected in the bike community?

Since you are UK based, ProBolt has in its offer all sorts of Ti and Alu bolts.
http://www.pro-bolt.com/
PS
Nice rig :thumbup:

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

1415chris wrote:
NealHumphries wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:Are there any reputable Ti bolt manufacturers that are well respected in the bike community?

Since you are UK based, ProBolt has in its offer all sorts of Ti and Alu bolts.
http://www.pro-bolt.com/
PS
Nice rig :thumbup:

I have done some legwork on their website and also Toronto Cycles and I will be placing an order for some bits and bobs shortly.

I did do some weighing and photographing last weekend and will post up tonight with current weight savings.

As a question to any S5 owners out there, has anyone found a source for titanium seatpost clamp bolts, brake retaining flanged nuts, and large grub screws? I took these off at the weekend and weighed them and being steel, they are pretty weighty. I asked pro-bolt and they only run batches of 500. Toronto are yet to reply.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks as always,

N.

ill principe

by ill principe

Looking forward to better pictures of the whole bike. That yellow line on the saddle must be a nice match to the TdF logo, and the Mavic logos as well
Current:

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

ill principe wrote:Looking forward to better pictures of the whole bike. That yellow line on the saddle must be a nice match to the TdF logo, and the Mavic logos as well

I definately need to get some better pictures, this weekend in some better light I think :) Watch this space.

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

So, some comparative weights of parts in, parts out:

Seat = 62g saved.

Stem = 22g saved

Skewers = 30g saved

Total savings for parts fitted so far = 114g

Plenty more to come, though I suspect I will be weighing it down with something else shortly...

ill principe

by ill principe

Weighing it down? Interesting…Power Meter? Second bottle cage :-) ?
Current:

Retired:

drmutley

by drmutley

So after all the grams saved and $$$$ spent has it made it much faster ?!?! ;-)

Have u got some updated pics? How does it ride?

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

ill principe wrote:Weighing it down? Interesting…Power Meter? Second bottle cage :-) ?

Erm, rumbled, one of these...

I have not fitted it yet, I need a cadence sensor and a speed sensor. I am sure this will weigh it down a bit, then a bit more...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

drmutley wrote:So after all the grams saved and $$$$ spent has it made it much faster ?!?! ;-)

Have u got some updated pics? How does it ride?

Ha ha, of course it hasn't, well, perhaps marginally.

It is pretty cold outside and dark in the evenings making longer rides difficult so my legs are getting more weedy by the day. I went out for 30k this morning and my hands were like ice when I got back in. I find the bike really comfortable and it does feel pretty fast. However, as a caveat, I don't have a lot to compare it to because my last bike was a 20 year old mountain bike on slicks. When I get my Trek built up I will have something to compare it against.

Here are a couple of pics in some better light. I am not very good with at taking bike shots...