and here on a more shady spotC40 Mapei WC
, en Flickr
As the C40 has a shorter head tube than the C50, I needed a bit higher stack of spacers to have the same setup though.
Ok, since we're obsessing about the look of your bike, and why not...
I totally get what you're doing with the stem/spacers/horizontal look, etc. I like that. Nothing wrong with having the spacers like you have them as far as I'm concerned. You should be sure to exhaust all your options before cutting the steertube and going with a rising stem, although in the end that would be fine too.
Here's what I think is causing much of the "just not quite right" sentiments.
1) The fork just doesn't match the bike, period. It just sticks out and draws your eye to it because it's so different from the rest of the frames graphics. I understand it may be hard to find a matching fork, so that may just be something you have to live with, so let's move on from that for now, but don't stop looking for one. I think it would make a world of difference.
2) The silver Record headset... I know you say "it's Record, nuff said", but a Chris King Soto Black headset it's what this frame is crying for. There's nothing else silver on the bike. As it is now the silver headset is creating an even greater delineation between the frame and non-matching fork, and transition from the frame to the spacers. A black headset would smooth things out.
3) I know you like the white hoods, but I think you'd find that black hoods would make the whole thing look more balanced and might even make the all black fork tie in with the whole bike a bit better. It's worth a try.
4) And I realize the red spacer above the stem is temporary but it is also distracting at the moment.
5) The stem itself isn't quite working here, but I'll bet by simply removing that white stripe (very easy to do with acetone, just be sure to mask off the other little 3T logos very well first) you'd notice a world of difference in how the bike looks. Leaving the little white 3T logos would be better than just getting the all stealth black 3T stem as the smallish white logos would compement the frame rather than detract from it. Also, the black stealth 3T stem still has the stripe, albeit a stealth stripe. No stripe, regardless of color.
If you were to incorporate those suggestions I'll bet you, and everyone else
, would go WOW, what a difference.
Oh, and about those white pedals... damnit, I promised myself I wouldn't mention those again.
It's a process, but worth it.
_________________Colnago C60 - PR99
; C59 Five Years Later
; My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet