The Holy Grail : Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei World Champion

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

interesting how, so many of you don't like the white bits a prefer conservative black.

Me too BTW I think black tires, saddle, hoods and pedals are best on a carbon bike, on an steel bike I prefer white or gum... and silver pedals ( if possible otherwise white )

But this bike as is predominantly white, in my view it has to have white contact points. and the Iride calls for the colored bits...

About the stem, yes intially I was also bothered by it that could be too thick for this frame, but I did measured with calipers ( yes I am that obsessive ) and the stem is actually the same diameter as the top tube, so it passed the test.

alternatively I have an ITM milenium that is thinner, that I could setup with a NOS set of 3TTT with Merckx bend that would go great with this bike, it's -8° though and I still want the -17° look, so maybe I will buy a NOS ITM with Colnago lettering that would be the right match for this frame as it was the one that came with new C40s at the time.

it's worth to mention that all C40 of the time that were build on Campagnolo that I have seen, came with a Silver Record headset and that didn't seem to bother that much anyone at the time :beerchug:
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

I would go black hoods and black housing. For stem I'd also remove spacers and go with a deda superleggero that is very thin and -8.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Black bits.... mmm not so sure about that, I still prefer the White ones.

C40-blacker-bits por Salsa_Lover, en Flickr
Hucken The Fard Up !

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

White saddle, white tape was fine, except for the tape job. Just those white hoods... lose 'em. Not sure if it was intended but at least on my computer screen your handlebars appear blue after the photoshop. Was that intentional or just something happening in the photoshop job? Please tell me that's not intentional :doh:

If you want to go black saddle, black tape, then that's fine too. But either way, make the saddle and tape match. I think I prefer the white for saddle and tape and frame.

But regardless of tape/saddle colour... black pedals for sure. Oh, and black headset is much better too. Many frames in that era were using Chirs King headsets, but the logos was really prominent with white "KING" slathered all around. Now that they have the more subtle black soto voce or whatever it's called, that would be my choice.

But perhaps you should come back to this in a few weeks after you've got some miles on it and a fresh perspective. The obsession is getting a bit out of hand now.

By the way, it's Friday, what are you wearing tonight? :beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

the White bits stay on ;) at least until next spring
Hucken The Fard Up !

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

spring is almost here :)

while waiting, experimenting with WC spacers.... I think I need a silver or white instead of the carbon one.

World Champion Spacers por Salsa_Lover, en Flickr
Hucken The Fard Up !

Quinn039

by Quinn039

looks cool... but even better than silver or white... just trim it...

Great looking bike, I like what you've done with it.

dogg

by dogg

so much fussing about! i think it looks lovely even with the spacer stack. blacked out cockpit would be nice but hey, to each their own.

CaptainP

by CaptainP

SalsaLover wrote: I think I need a silver or white instead of the carbon one.

All you need is a 6 degree stem, a hacksaw and saw guide :thumbup:

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Spring is almost here.... and somewhat this bike calls for more colourful wheels :)

Those are blue Open Pro with Chorus hubs, the silver spokes and hubs seem to compliment the silver bits on the record headset and rear derailer... I'm happy with that.

C40 WC - Open Pro wheels por Salsa_Lover, en Flickr
C40 WC - Open Pro wheels por Salsa_Lover, en Flickr
Hucken The Fard Up !

Rumsas

by Rumsas

This bike just looks so great, i hope i rides just as good. But i know it does.
I have to try a 73degree stem on mine to. I think it looks perfect on a c40

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

This Bike is simply wonderful, the right balance of comfort and performance, in a real beautiful package...

Superb
Hucken The Fard Up !

NiFTY

by NiFTY

That is stunning. Not sure it wouldn't look better with a 6 degree stem and lower stack even though you would lose the world champ spacer appearance. Great build though. Rims look fantastic.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrfish

by mrfish

Very nice.

Maybe a black RD outer and hoods, plus non-black tyres, e.g. Veloflex Master? Also I like FRM Web stems as they are a bit thinner than the current 3Ts , so the stem is not the fattest tube on the bike. I have a silver one on my C40, but a black one would be nice on yours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com