Cervelo R3 SL 2009

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bahn

by bahn

A long term WW forum lurker here... just back in the UK after a summer exploring the Alps.. here's my bike I put together 4000km ago...

Opinions and thoughts welcome. A few tweaks and changes over the summer, and the current build:
Cervelo R3-SL 2009 54cm (897g incl. hangers and headset / Fork 390g uncut)
3T Doric Ltd inline post
Saddle: Fizik Arione CX braided
Chainset: SRAM Red 50/34
Cassette: SRAM Red 1090OG 11-25
Shifters: SRAM Red 2012
F Derailleur: SRAM Force
R Derailleur: SRAM Force
Cables: Gore as supplied with shifter
Brakes: SRAM Red
Chain: KMC X10SL
Bars: 3T Ergonova Ltd
Bartape 3t superlight and gel pads
Stem: 3T Ergo ARX Pro
Wheels: Shimano DuraAce C24 WH9000
Skewers: ENVE
Tubes: Conti Supersonic
Tyres: GP4000s
Pedals: Speedplay zero cro-moly with Ward industries Ti Spindles
Bottle cages: 2x Elite Cannibal
Chaincatcher K-Edge

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Beautiful. I believe Sastre won the tour on that steed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Loving it.

Isn't this one of the last really light R3 SL's? I recall newer versions getting heavier and heavier.

How do you like the new Red shifters? I'm torn on upgrading or not since my carbon shifter clamps aren't compatible with the newest Red shifters.

bahn

by bahn

jbaillie wrote:Beautiful. I believe Sastre won the tour on that steed?

Indeed it was, found a pic here:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/6cQA8y7e ... los+Sastre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although a 2009 frame, I picked it up new this summer after my Kuota was stolen. A good deal and a solid choice.

Johnny Rad wrote:Isn't this one of the last really light R3 SL's? I recall newer versions getting heavier and heavier.

Not sure about getting heavier, but I thought there wasn't great leaps and bounds forwards, although newer frames have the BBright which I guess helps, plus the R5 replaces the SL.. I wasn't a fan of the new paint jobs and they tweaked the geometry a bit.

Johnny Rad wrote:How do you like the new Red shifters? I'm torn on upgrading or not since my carbon shifter clamps aren't compatible with the newest Red shifters.

Getting on fine with them. I was using Red before also, but previous version with trim - which I never used. These don't have the trim and I should, on reflection, have got a Yaw front derailleur (Red or Force 22) to make setup easier. It *just* about works, but need to get it spot on.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Gobs of seatpost and an absolute TON of drop! Love it. I think this is one of the last "light" R3s.

bahn

by bahn

Haha! Thanks.. Although I'm only doing as my trusted bike fitter tells me. There's still a few spacers there to slam that stem if I was bendy enough!

Plenty light enough for me, it was 6.53kg before I swapped tyres. Much lighter than I expected when I built it up.

konky

by konky

A classic R3 SL from a time very close to when they were pretty much the best around. People criticise Cervelo but the R3 was the first mainstream frame to have it all. It was light, stiff and comfortable. After the R3 the whole industry improved. They deserve credit for that.

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

i generally like it, with 3 points for improvement:
saddle - it probably fits your a** but it such a huge thing porportion-wise...
bottle cages - i believe pretty much every bottle cage looks nicer than those specialized cages... try tacx tao (aluminium), great value!
tires - the brown side walls destroy the overall black image the bike creates

don't get me wrong, those are only minor things, details... but a great ride like this one definitely deserves the final attention for those little details! :smartass:
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Deev

by Deev

Fantastic bike. A really understated classy look. Well done.