Cervélo S5 build thread. Complete build list and pics on p.3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

oakes2004

by oakes2004

Subscribed..

ill principe

by ill principe

Complete build list and proper outdoor pictures. Have ridden the bike for a few weeks already.

It was six months since the final ride on my R3 so difficult to make direct comparison. A bit harsher ride and it sure feels fast. Happy with Q-rings and Di2 but I probably need to buy a tool to align my rd hanger because on struggling to get rear der. adjustment to 100%.

Frame Cervélo S5
Fork Cervélo FK26 UL
Headset FSA Orbit IS-2
Seatpost Cervélo Aero (2 position)
Seat Selle Italia SLR
Stem 3T Arx Team 120mm 6°
Bar 3T Rotundo Team 42mm
Bartape Selle Italia Smootape 2,5mm
Bottle cages Tune Wasserträger
Brakes Planet X CNC with Zipp Tangente pads
Front derailleur Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2
Rear derailleur Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2
Electronics Shimano Di2 SM-BTR2 battery and SM-EW90-A 3 port junction box
Crankset Rotor 3D30 172,5mm
Bottom Bracket SRAM PF30
Chainrings Rotor Q-Rings Aero 50-38t
Chainring bolts Rotor
Chain Shimano Ultegra 6800
Shifters Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2
Cassette Shimano Ultegra 6800 12-25
Wheels Zipp 404 Firecrest Tubular
Skewers KCNC Ti
Tires Continental Sprinter
Pedals Speedplay Zero Stainless black
Garmin mount K-edge
Glue Continental Carbon tubular glue
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (not yet built) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

ill principe wrote:A bit harsher ride and it sure feels fast. -> Tires Continental Sprinter
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ill principe

by ill principe

The weight as pictured (without Garmin 500) is 7260g. The rear derailleur hanger needed alignment and the shifting is now smooth throughout the cassette.

@ rainerhq
Of course the Sprinter isn´t a tire that gives a smooth ride. But in this case I also ran Sprinters old my old bike sometimes, so it´s not down to tire choice only.
Current:

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

53x12

by 53x12

Looks great! Have you thought about taking off the Zipp decals to go nude or maybe getting some stealth matte Zipp decals?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

drmutley

by drmutley

Ti short spindles for your speedplays? 60$USD

ill principe

by ill principe

@ 53x12 Yeah, I have considered the new black Zipp decals. To be honest, I quite like the "loud" look of the current decals. Maybe later.

@ drmutley Thanks for the tip. Note that I re-routed the cable according to your comment (along the underside of the stem), much cleaner look!
Current:

Retired:

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Hi, can you tell me a bit more about the spiral wrap that you used? How's the double sided tape holding up for the junction box? Any chance you may provide a link to both those items? Thanks.

ill principe

by ill principe

The spiral wrap, which I ended up not using after routing the cable differently I found at http://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/heat ... Metre.html

The double sided tape is "Tesa Double sided tape for outdoor use" which I bought at my local home improvement supermarket. It held up fine all season, water from washing didn't affect it at all. Will definitely use again for next bike.

BTW, I have sold the frame and will hang the components to a new (more traditional) frame next year. Didn't like the handling and the harsh ride compared to my previous bike.
Current:

Retired:

goleafsgo5

by goleafsgo5

Lovely build, can you please let me know how you like the Planet X brakes. I have Ultegra 6700 right now and looking at shaving some weight and going to the Planet X ultra light CNC blue and black version how is the stopping power?

ill principe

by ill principe

The brakes are OK. Have only used them with the Zipps (with Grey Tangente pads) and they stop better than my previous setup (Campy Chorus, Swisstop Black Prince and Easton EC90 Aero) but thats most likely due to the wheels.

Its hard to compare and give a good verdict on brakes when stopping power is "bottlenecking" due to something other (carbon wheels in this case) than the calipers. I´m sure the PX brakes stops good enough for most people, maybe not "Shimano-good" but at the price/weight of PX they are very good value.
Current:

Retired:

goleafsgo5

by goleafsgo5

I have heard of people compare them to ultegra or 7900 maybe not 7800 but I want them to match the bike... I will have them on reynolds 46.... hmmm they don't feel squishy do they they feel stiff enough to come to a stock quick?

agkinis

by agkinis

Hi

I am just building the same bike. do you have a photo of the clearance between head tube and fork. My frame arrived with wrong angle race crown and the bearing sits high.

Thanks
Anastasios

ill principe

by ill principe

Sold the frame 2 years ago and have no better pics than those present in this thread. But the gap was equal to other frames i've had.
Current:

Retired:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com