Cervélo S5 build thread. Complete build list and pics on p.3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ill principe

by ill principe

I have just received the first part of the puzzle that will form my new race bike; a size 56 Cervélo S5 frame. My previous bike was a R3, and this will be a different build in several aspects.

I have ridden Campagnolo equipped bikes since 2006, and I will build this with Shimano 6870 Di2 (internal battery). Have not decided whether to go with a full group, or use Rotor cranks and TRP brakes etc. Since 6870 won’t be available in several months I have plenty of time to decide.

The focus of the build will be different since the R3 was a light all-rounder and the S5 will be a lot heavier, but since I ride in flat terrain for 98% of the time it will hopefully be faster. I have been curious of aero-bikes for a long time and I have finally come to the understanding that a 400g-ish weight penalty will (hopefully) not make the bike unridable on hills.

Have yet to decide on wheels, but it will most likely be some sort of 60mm carbon tubs.

Frame:

Frame Weight (including 5 bottle cage bolts):

Fork (with crown race, 8g)

Hardware:

Headset (nice and flat top cap compared to the volcano one on my last Cervélo):

I´ll keep posting as the parts drop in, and when I need input for decisions
Last edited by ill principe on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (not yet built) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Nice. Look forward to seeing the rest of it.

You going aero brakes? If you are going cable brakes, look at the TriRig aero brakes. Good deal for probably one of, if not the, fastest brake.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

nismosr

by nismosr

should be a great build, I myself came from the R3, I built my 13 S5 last year with Record 11 with TriRig brakeset but recently replaced with EE brakes. My favorite bike compare to my other 2 bikes.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

BmanX

by BmanX

I can't wait to see this build. I would think that maybe a mix on the brakes is best. TriRig up front and EE brake in the rear. Aero where you need it and something a little bit lighter in the rear but it still tucks in nicely.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ill principe

by ill principe

Thanks for the input regarding brakes. The wheel decision will actually decide on brakes etc. If I go with Zipp I will probably do a full Shimano group. If I choose FFWD wheels or similar, I have more room in the budget for special brakes and cranks.

TriRig looks interesting, how do they compare to traditional brakes when it comes to stopping power?
Current:

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

anquetil

by anquetil

Beautiful!

Weight difference vs. VVD is impresive! Almost 400 g.

ill principe

by ill principe

Forgot to post seatpost weight, probably not the first Cervélo aero post shown in these forums:
Last edited by ill principe on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:

Retired:

BmanX

by BmanX

I hate the weight of the Cervelo posts. That is why I went the route I did with my post/saddle combo from Berk which is about 60g lighter than just your post.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

anquetil

by anquetil

BmanX wrote:I hate the weight of the Cervelo posts. That is why I went the route I did with my post/saddle combo from Berk which is about 60g lighter than just your post.

And you save around 130 g for extra 300€(calculated on my example with 70 g saddle).
I also have Berk combo on my Flash 29 er, but on S5 combo doesnt look good, thats MO.

ill principe

by ill principe

Wheel time! The LBS had a such a nice offering on Zipp that I could not resist pulling the trigger. Have been wanting to try Zipp wheels for nearly a decade and wanted a "wide" rim on the new bike, so here is the result:

Zipp 404 Firecrest tubular

Front wheel

Rear wheel

Zipp skewers

KCNC skewers, will likely use these. (used them a couple months this summer, took them off my old bike before selling it)
Current:

Retired:

Telenis

by Telenis

Hello.
What is the model of your FSA headset ?
Thanks by advance.

ill principe

by ill principe

The top cap says: FSA Orbit IS-2
Current:

Retired:

trilocus

by trilocus

yes it's fsa orbit is-2. Very nice frame and wheelset. Fast Fast bike

ill principe

by ill principe

Next part:

Selle Italia SLR. I wanted a saddle with round rails to be able to use the standard seat clamp without modification. The idea is that the red stripe will match the 3T Team stem/bar that is in the plan.
Current:

Retired:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ill principe

by ill principe

Next up, "mini" groupset:

Ultegra 6870 Di2, with internal battery. 6800 chain and 12-25 cassette.
Current:

Retired: