New Shoes for my Moots

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

solarider

by solarider

A few rides in with the new wheels and time for an update. I have tried this bike with a set of Hyperons, a set of Lightweights, a set of Boras and a set of 404 Firecrests, but I have to say, the hype about the ENVE 3.4s on King hubs is absolutely justified.

They are a couple of a hundred grammes heavier than the Lightweights, but on a par or slightly lighter than the others. More versatile than the Hyperons, more aero than the Lightweights, less prone to the strong sidewinds that we get on Hong Kong island than the Boras and 404s. The best of all worlds, and the King hubs are just wonderful and should stay that way for a while. And (if this makes sense), they ride lighter than any of them. Not the best braking, but I think that will improve as I put down a layer of the ENVE brake pad compound on the braking surface. Right now, I wouldn't trust them on the steep descents of Hong Kong in the rain!

I have almost finished building my new Moots Psyclo X RSL with Super Record EPS and disc brakes which should be just the ticket for those hilly braking issues! Just waiting for the new internal battery to hit the shops. I know that discs are a big discussion topic right now, but I hope to be able to make a considered and informed contribution to that debate before too long. The Psyclo X will be predominantly a cyclocross bike built with ENVE XC rims on King R45s, but I am also having a set of Mavic Open Pro CD (to mask the brake surface) built onto King R45s with Vittoria OPen Corsa 25s to use only on the road for bad weather training. More new on that one as it breaks. Come on Campagnolo - get that new battery shipping!

Contrary to the ENVE recommendation, I am running 25mm tubs. ENVE recommend 23mm for optimum aerodynamics, but some of the roads over here are concrete with wheel-eating expansion gaps in between and the 25s are just that bit more comfortable.

A typical Autumn day in Hong Kong. 32 degrees, sunny and a gentle breeze. I do miss the road scene in Europe, but as Winter approaches, Hong Kong has its distinct advantages!

Really well built by Strada in the UK. Highly recommended.

Frame - Moots Vamoots RSL
Fork - ENVE 2.0 tapered
Aheadset - Chris King Inset 7
Chainset - Campagnolo Super Record Ti Compact
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo PF30 cups
Pedals - Look Keo Carbon Titanium
Front Deraileur - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Rear Deraileur - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Shifters - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Brakes - Campagnolo Super Record
Chain - KMC SL
Cassette - Campagnolo Super Record 12/25
Wheels - ENVE 3.4/Chris King R45
Tyres - Continental Competition 25mm
Stem - Moots RSL
Bars - Zipp SL Carbon
Seatpost - Moots Cinch
Saddle - Fizik Arione
Grips - Deda Cork

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

judging by the picture your moots deserves these shoes!. Great looking ride.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

very nice set up ! (-:

cmh

by cmh

Looks great...btw, something I found out, you can direct from Moots get a seatpost finish to match frame/stem. They don't recommend it because it scuffs easily but if you have your height nailed it looks so much better imo.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

What's the weight??

GT56

by GT56

i am wondering, is yours a custom frame where the external lower headset was considered (which has a higher stack height than an internal)

solarider

by solarider

Yes, it was a custom geometry to have a longer head tube, and slightly longer top tube and to incorporate the external lower bearings.

I will weigh it at the weekend. Think it is just below 16lbs. Not bad for a 58cm frame.

Thrillho

by Thrillho

I wouldn't kick that out of bed.
Speedvagen Road
Stoemper SSCX disc
Ira Ryan XCR DI2
Parlee TT
Moots Mooto-X RSL SS
Richard Sachs Cyclocross
Scott Spark 29er

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components