Chinese 29er race HT build - Aiming sub 8kg - Complete

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Yeah is a carbon saddle.

So few new goodies have arrived.

New seatpost, climax one as recommended to me. After seeing it in person does seem to be of very high build quality. Has a really small titanium support which goes through the seatpost, it's also hollow don't know if that's a worry. Never seen a seatpost break on that part so should be okay. 3 Grams over claimed so not bad at all.

Climax 31.6 350mm Ti Hardware - 138G

Ward Ind. eggbeater Ti Spindles - 56G

Rest should be arriving and leaving r2 bikes soon, just waiting for a tune axle to come in stock, another week plus bit of shipping time. So stay tuned!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

This seatpost is available also without decals, both matte and glossy. It would suit better with your frame.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Yeah, I did see that. Decided to go with some brand naming as I think branding makes it look fancier rather then cheap. Decals look really nice with frame and seat actually. Really happy with it. Have to post an updated picture.

Some new stuff arrived today, will post pictures of weights soon,

Sram BB30 BB
Ti bolt kit for Ritchey c260 stem
Formula mix matcher for sram shifter
Formula calliper washers
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to quote the above.

Wederkinck

by Wederkinck

Looking forward too seeing an updated picture

pumpkins

by pumpkins

pumpkins wrote:Nice build , is that carbon saddle?

is it padded? wonderin how is the ride of it

btw have u happen to scale the wheelset( as a set)?

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

First package from R2 arrived. Very exciting goodies inside, for me at least.

First up some spokes, CX-Ray Sapim - 310G (48 292mm, 16 292mm)

Dt Swiss alloy nipples 12mm - 18G (x64)

Tune Princess hub 15mm - 102G (Feels so light for what it is!!)

Tune Kong XD hub 12x142mm - 214G

American Classic Tubeless valves - 6G (Scale only increments in 2g's so think these are claimed weight of 5 as it was fluctuating between 4-6, need new scale!)

The entire wheelset - 1446G (Not the lightest but rims are the heavy bit here rated for all mountain use and 24mm internal width, so stiffness and extra tyre strength should make up for the extra 100 grams or so)

Updated picture with the new seatpost, I personally like the look of the graphics. Also shows the $410USD frame in all its glory. Probably think I am crazy putting all this gear on such a cheap frame.

Bonus shot.

Still going to be a little while before it's built as I need to purchase a spoke tension meter that can measure bladed spokes. That didn't occur to me until I received the spokes. Keep tuned.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

If you want better frame in the future, you can use almost all your components if not all. I think the building and searching the parts itself is very interesting.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

robgall13

by robgall13

The final bike?

CulBaire

by CulBaire

+1 keen to see the finished product!

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Sorry guys, got a bit slack with the updates. So finally got the thing built up yesterday, did the wheel building and tensioning myself which was a mission but got all spokes to the perfect tension and the rim true so should be solid. No pictures yet, they're still to come. 8.4kg with pedals, a tube in the back + sealant because I couldn't get it to seal on the maiden ride (first time tubeless), so drop a bit in there. I also hadn't put in the front tune axle due to time restraints and it had steel rotor bolts not ti rotor bolts which I've still got to put on. I also weighed it after it collected a whole heap of dust. Oh and I can cut some of the brake lines off.

So I recon once I make all those changes I am looking at sub 8 without pedals. Hopefully.

Now the only bad part is the seat post is a little too short by 3cm or so. Going to have to get a 400mm seatpost. Thinking about a syntace P6 hiflex carbon despite its weight (216grams or so) because the bike almost feels too stiff as it stands. Also have plans for a extralight -12 stem down the track and possibly the new shimano 9000 xtr brakes when they come out.

Must say I am very impressed with the build, and I'm confident in saying buying boutique and chinese can work. Will post pics soon.

BmanX

by BmanX

Can't wait to see this.

I have a rigid build that I want to start to tune a bit more. Currently at 16.95 lbs / 7690 gram so if you have front suspension and sub 8kg that would be amazing. I could really go lighter on my post and saddle that is for sure.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

I still want to tune mine to get sub 8kg w/o pedals. I will need to get a better picture as well as a scale shot but here's one I got after I made some final touches to it.

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Have a better image for you guys, high res ones to come soon.

Took it for its first real run today. All went well, love the bike. Not a fan of the saddle though, so might opt for a bit of comfort. Bought a ritchey WCS carbon streem saddle off a friend in red today xD

And I also punctured the top of my thunder burt on it's first real ride. Maybe these tires are a little flimsy.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Nicholas68 wrote:And I also punctured the top of my thunder burt on it's first real ride. Maybe these tires are a little flimsy.

Looking good Nicholas, solid but reliable build I like it...

Is the pic from The Gap, or Daisy Hill / Cornubia?.. Good luck with the Burts around there, a little rocky IMO.
I noticed the QLD reg in the previous pic, good to see another Aussie on the boards. :D

ophiravina

by ophiravina

very nice bike!!
makes me want to buy a chinense frame too ;-)
maybe in the future...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com