'13 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (Ultegra Di2 inside)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

canyon14

by canyon14

Nice build! Could you tell what you did with the expander? I saw in the photo you use both the expander and the i-lock clamp.

TimW

by TimW

That bike looks great and also incredibly usuable. Big fan of the P2M and that choice of the red on it is perfect, suits your bike better than the no-colour option. 38mm is brilliant real-world wheel depth too. Although I'm a Campag man personally, can't argue with anything. It'll be interesting to see how the hubs hold up, I looked into Spin wheels myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

8bitMartin wrote:. The paint is very thin and quite a few places where the CF sheets have been overlapped can be seen through the paint. From afar, it looks good.

thin matte paint is the main reason for the low weigth of many current frames. with gloss varnish, they would be 100 gramm heavier.

nevertheless surprising, that they did not manage entire covering paintjob.

apart from this, very nice, "sexy" bike and a great build. especially the p2max is a good choice (just take care not to overtighten the tiny screws of the battery compartment)

derek

by derek

Great looking bike. Can you tell us what's your inseam and saddle height from the center of the BB? Consireding one of these bikes and I'm between S and M...

vtspot

by vtspot

Beautiful bike. May I know what headset do you use?
btw, the link to the google speadsheet is not working. :)

Delorre

by Delorre

vtspot wrote:May I know what headset do you use?

It's a factory Acros AI-70

8bitMartin

by 8bitMartin

A few very late replies which may not be relevant anymore.

Deev wrote:Excellent use of restrained red detailing. I am impressed. How do you find the Power2Max?

Thank you! I like the looks myself. The P2M works great for me. I’ve been doing monthly consistency tests against a PowerTap hub on a Kurt Kinetic trainer (outside in the winter). Very consistent so far.

TimW wrote:That bike looks great and also incredibly usuable. Big fan of the P2M and that choice of the red on it is perfect, suits your bike better than the no-colour option. 38mm is brilliant real-world wheel depth too. Although I'm a Campag man personally, can't argue with anything. It'll be interesting to see how the hubs hold up, I looked into Spin wheels myself.

Thank you! I haven’t had any problems with the P2M. I’m very pleased with the wheels, actually, Ijust went over the hubs yesterday (race day tomorrow) just to clean and regrease. I found no sand inside and the sealed bearings are still in good shape.

I don’t think they make this exact wheelset anymore. I looked on their website and they have one with the same name, but I think they’ve changed the hubs and rims, because the set is now 200 g heavier than mine is.

canyon14 wrote:Nice build! Could you tell what you did with the expander? I saw in the photo you use both the expander and the i-lock clamp.

Delorre wrote:
vtspot wrote:May I know what headset do you use?

It's a factory Acros AI-70

Correct. On those pictures it was a combination of the expander plug of an alternative headset (I don’t know if Canyon manufacture this themselves or if it’s still Acros. I can’t find it on either website) and the AI-70 i-Lock used also as a spacer. I thought, based on the measurements from my previous fit, that I needed to get lower than the factory AI-70 headset would allow. Turns out I didn’t.

I just cut it down lengthwise and filed the collar to make it fit.

vtspot wrote:Beautiful bike. May I know what headset do you use?
btw, the link to the google speadsheet is not working. :)

Thanks! I know. Tidied up Google Drive, and that spreadsheet accidentally went in the trash. I still have all the weights, so I’ll see if I can put it together sometime.
Last edited by 8bitMartin on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8bitMartin

by 8bitMartin

Later in the week turned into next summer.

Not a lot has changed since I started the thread.

• Garbaruk seatpost. As mentioned earlier, this is a semi-custom seatpost I purchased because it has 0 setback and is quite light of weight. 360 mm long weighing in at 128 g. For $125 shipped to my door. I haven’t a single complaint on its function thus far. No creaking whatsoever, even if I’m perched on the tip of the saddle in TT position. The finish is a thin clear coat over UD carbon fibre. It could do with a lick of black paint, but that’s nitpicking.
  • Fizik Cyrano R3 handlebars. I know the R3 isn’t very weight weenie at a whopping 255 g, but I’m trying out this shape to see if it works for me before splashing out for the R1 (50 g lighter) carbon bar.
  • Giant Connect SL 8° stem. 163 g for a 100 mm.These were on sale from PedalOn for $20 apiece, and about the only one I could source that wasn’t either ridiculously expensive or unavailable. I picked up 4 of them; 80-120 mm.
  • Computer mount. Ogee Hipbone. Got this from Shapeways. Bought this purely because I hated the fact that the computer sat a few millimetres to the left of stem’s center. 4 g lighter than the Barfly 2.0. It had a cutout on the bottom of the mount, and the Di2 junction box fits just right.
  • Praxis 50/36 chainrings. I decided to try going back on round rings to see if that was what was causing knee pain before I started using Q-Rings. No pain after a month on some FSA rings I had lying around, so I bought some Praxis rings.
  • Shimano 6800 brakes.
  • Speedplay Chromoly pedals.

Still riding strong. I can’t hear any creaks. I’m using the same tubulars on the same rims since last year. Zero punctures even by frequent riding gravel and dirt roads.

Fresh post-ride pictures of the new componentry. (Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/xs2P3#0)

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

So why did you go with the Giant stem? Because it was an inexpensive 8deg option? Or just because it was a good deal? I absolutely love this bike, but the Giant stem needs some acetone or taken off asap! Thats like putting honda wheels on a BMW. TISK TISK.... ;-)

8bitMartin

by 8bitMartin

I know the graphics have got to go! I actually got the stems in order to dial in my fit. If it's 6 or 8 degrees doesn't really matter - I still have some steerer tube to play with. Looking at maybe getting the full bore Ritchey C260 or a Giant SLR to save some weight.

Elrey

by Elrey

thighten your front brake :wink:

8bitMartin

by 8bitMartin

Elrey wrote:thighten your front brake :wink:

I have... A bit.

A combination of going back and forth between FLO holy-crap-these-rims-are-really-wide wheels and this set, worn pads, and my short-ish fingers made for a long pull, which I like.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I like, looks sleek! :beerchug:

Elrey

by Elrey

Pictures with flow and maybe pictures of how wide they are?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

8bitMartin

by 8bitMartin

Elrey wrote:Pictures with flow and maybe pictures of how wide they are?

Wish I'd seen this post before now, because I actually just sold them!

The only pictures I have of them mounted on this bike were taken with my phone on a very bright day and bad angles.

They're 26.a-hair mm wide and 30 mm deep. A 25 mm Schwalbe One clincher is 27 mm wide @ 7 bar mounted on a Flo 30 rim. 54 mm from tyre tread to spoke on those wheels.

Edit: Resized pictures.