Trek Madone 5 Aero Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The brake levers feel very loose and 'light' when using the stock brakes with alligator i-link cables, though a few shops say the cables might be the problem (but I doubt that really). Modulation is there but you can't really feel it well because having a little resistance in the levers is necessary and I can only judge that from the amount of pull on the lever.

Am snapping up a fantastic CRC deal on the DA 9010 brakes right now, hope it'll be much better!

PS if you want to know the weight of the stock brakes you can find it in this video where the shop disassembles a u5 frame and weigh each parts - answer is 304g with the pads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJXvhpwkwA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The frame has arrived at my LBS, and having BB / crank and FD fitted today. I will collect on Sunday as sadly I'm working today and tomorrow, and will weigh the brakes, seat mast, stem etc, and start assembly. I hope to get out for a ride on Wednesday and post a few pics and a ride report.
I am really keen to see how the ride quality compares to my Parlee Z5, and seeing the final build weight.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I picked the frame up today, and have started assembling it.
I am impressed with the way Trek packages a bike for transport. a nice sturdy box with plastic inserts for the fork and rear dropouts, a plastic seatpost cap and foam bit for the BB to rest on and a downtube protector and foam around the fork, all wrapped in plastic.
A really handy addition is a small 5Nm torque wrench.
The quality of the paint work is really good, and after a close inspection there are no blemishes that i can see. The frame is well prepped. All the cables are internal, but have liners in place.
It is heading for a 6.8 kg build with my Edge 1.38 wheels and about 7.3kg with Zipp Clinchers, so not an ultralight bike, but then a 60cm frame with white paint is never going to be really light. A little heavier than I was hoping for, probably due to paint colour ,and a heavy 141g stem and Bontrager seat mast,
Some tuning will be done replacing as many bolts as possible with alloy or Ti bolts.

Anyway, the fact that a mid range bike can be built under 6.8kg with no light weight parts except the wheels, just goes to show how ridiculous the UCI weight limit is these days. Looking forward to getting it finished and out for a test ride.
Last edited by Ozrider on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Build complete
6.74kg with Edge 1.38 Tubulars and 7.42kg with Zipp 404 Clinchers.
This weight is ready to ride with Garmin mount and sensors, pedals, bottle cage etc. I'm only running one bottle cage as presently I only have 1 Zipp cage that matches the bike, and I only intend having 1 bottle for Crits and shorter training rides, longer rides will be on my Parlee.
The large weight discrepancy with the Edge tubulars is because I'm running a new SRAM Red cassette on those wheels, and a Force cassette on the Zipp wheels as these will be used more for training and wet weather.
Before I cop any flack about using Zipps as everyday wheels, I have had these for 5 years and due to 2 sets of tubular wheels they haven't seen too much use. As they are "old" technology and only 10 speed compatible, I might as well get some good use out of them.

The Madone is a really nicely built bike, and Trek has put a lot of effort into small details. Rubber grommets where the front derailleur cable leaves the frame, nicely integrated internal cables that are cable and electronic compatible. Trek dealers carry a range of seat masts and stems, and seatpost fittings for carbon seat rails, so once your bike or frame arrives you can swap parts out, which my LBS did at no charge, as I needed a zero setback seatpost.

I'm not convinced regarding the Bontrager brakes, but I'm heading out for a test ride soon.

HAKS

by HAKS

Pictures or its all lies :P

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Struggling to upload pictures on my iPad right now, I will try to upload tomorrow off my computer.

Took it for a 2 hour ride today. For a "budget" frame replacement, this is an awesome bike. Granted, with clinchers it is about 1150g heavier than my Parlee, and with tubulars about 600g heavier, but the ride is really good, in fact far better than I expected.
It soaks up the bumps but never feels isolated from the road surface. Steering is sharp and responsive, and it corners Like its on rails, and its very easy to adjust your line mid corner.
The geometry is really close to my Parlee Z5, so replicating my position on this bike was really easy. As soon as I got on it and started riding I felt really comfortable. The ride feedback and comfort is a big advance on the Madone 6.9 SSL I rode on several occasions.

There was no rattle from any of the internal cables, in fact the bike was really quiet. The braking was sub standard, seeming to require slightly more lever effort than my Red brakes on my Parlee, with the rear braking lacking feel and stopping power. I have swapped out the pads tonight for Swisstops, and will see if this improves the braking. The Bonrager pads looked and felt really hard when I removed them.

wkwt

by wkwt

I recently got back on my Madone 5 after riding an alum crossbike and then a demo Domane for a bit. I completely agree with you - the Madone has really nice "road feel" and comfort, yet is stiff and sharp as a scalpel. The feel is really quite similar to my old Cervelo R5. The Domane was interesting: stiff as heck under power, but I had no idea what was going on under me (which is the point, I guess).

Also agree with the brake feel, pretty rough. Amidst a change myself to DA9000 with the integrated brakes and supposedly smoother cables so we will see... I think it's the usual problem with all the cable routing that the tri guys have dealt with for years.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@wkwt - I put this bike together with parts I had. Unfortunately with the direct mount brakes my SRAM brakes won't fit.
I reckon in the new year an upgrade to DA9000 or Ultegra Ui2 is on the cards.
Hopefully the Swiss Stop pads will make a reasonable difference in the mean time.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Any update on pics? How's it ride?

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Weight during build
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Final weight with Edge 1.38 Tubulars

After a few rides I am really impressed, bearing in mind this is the Madone 5 and not the top end 7 series.
The bike handles really well, and I'm able to change line mid corner without upsetting the balance. The handling Is very similar to my Parlee Z5, which is not surprising considering the geometry is very similar. The rear seat stays really work, and for a race bike it is really comfortable, but still provides good road feel and feedback.

The BB is stiff as one would expect with the massive downtube. The brakes still aren't fantastic. I swapped pads and now have black Swiss Stop pads in. The rear brake really lacks in feel / modulation. Fairwheel bikes have shown pics of new direct mount EE brakes. These should be a great upgrade and drop some weight in the process.

I'm really happy with the result as an all round bike. It is "aero", probably not as good as a Cervelo S5 or Specialized Venge, but this bike climbs and descends better than either the S5 or Venge, and is comfortable enough for a few hours in the saddle on rough country roads.
I don't think the S5 or Venge or a Scott Foil would be anywhere near as comfortable on the type of roads I often ride on.
It is not ultra light, but is essentially a frame replacement on my training bike.
Last edited by Ozrider on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

7.43kg with Zipp 404 Clinchers, Garmin mount and sensor, 1 x Zipp bottle cage.
Weighs in at 6.74 with Edge 1.38 Tubulars.
This is how it will be ridden most of the time.
I have a set of DT R1.1 rims on DT 240 hubs for wet weather.

I will upload some better pics in a few days

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Gorgeous bike. I'm on the fence between a 7-series Madone or 6-series Domane, so this write-up really helps. I'll definitely get the Ultegra brakes, if I go the Madone route, based on your write-up. Can't picture carbon clinchers WITH crappy brakes. Scary.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Looks awesome, Oz. What size is the frame?

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@ Ltoddokc - It is Treks H2 fit, size 60, with 586mm top tube and 21cm head tube. 120mm stem, 175mm crank length. Saddle height is 815mm. Even with the spacers I'm running an 8cm saddle - bar drop. As fitness improves I will drop the bar another cm or two.

@ FIJIGabe - My son has a Domane in size 58 and I have done quite a few rides on it. It is really comfortable, but to me it lacks the feedback you get on the Madone. The Domane sort of just floats along. If you do long rides on really rough roads or endurance events the Domane would be a good choice, and it still handles really well. It is also slightly heavier than the Madone, but not a "heavy" bike by any means. The geometry is slightly different so might require different stem length to achieve the right fit.
The Domane 6 makes a good road race bike on rough roads - Apparently Fabian Cancellara uses his Domane for everything except TT, so it certainly has good credentials.
I chose the Madone as I intend to use if to train and race Crits on, and the geo is really close to that of my Parlee, which makes swapping between them really easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Some component weights