Trek Madone 5 Aero Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ozrider

by Ozrider

After watching TrekUK's posting and evolution of his Madone 5, and my training bike developing a crack in the frame I needed a new frame.
As I race in a Masters team supported by a LBS that is our states biggest Trek dealer, and being coached by its co-owner a Trek frame was a logical option, specially considering the "team discount"
As I'm still busy with the rebuild of my custom Reynolds 653, and have a Parlee Z5, I chose the Madone 5.9 as it has a RRP of AUD $2699 vs $4799 for the 7 series. it is a good price, and frame is supposed to be sub 1kg, and the frame set comes with seat post, stem and the integrated brakes Trek uses on this frame.
My plan is to build it up with a SRAM Red groupset that I took off my Parlee Z5 when i upgraded to 2012 SRAM Red, and Zipp 404 clinchers or Edge 1.38 Tubulars.
I should be able to build this up at about 6500g, and definitely below 6.8kg.
The frame should arrive next week. The 2014 frame is simple black and white.

Last edited by Ozrider on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I have also ordered Bontrager XXX Aero handlebars to keep with the theme of an "aero" road bike.
The build list consists mainly of parts I already have. At a later date I might upgrade to DA9000, but the plan is to build a solid training and commuting bike and use it for crit races as well.

BUILD PLAN:
Frame - Trek Madone 5.9 2014
Fork - Trek
Headset - FSA
Seatmast - Bontrager
Stem - Bontrager 131g after replacing bolts with Ti
Handlebar - Bontrager XXX Aero 220g
Brake Calipers - Bontrager direct fit 158g front, 153g rear
Wheels - Zipp 404 clincher (2009) 1660g. Edge 1.38 Tubulars 1120g
Tyres - Conti GP4000S 23 front 25 rear
Tubes - Conti Race Light 74g and 76g
Skewers - KCNC Ti
Cranks - SRAM Red GXP with Rotor chain rings 669g (chainrings 39g and 68g)
BB -
Cassette - SRAM Force 1070 11-26
Chain - SRAM PC1091R
Front Derailleur - SRAM Force 87g
Rear Derailleur - SRAM Red
Bar tape - Fizik Microlight
Cables - Transfil Flying Snake
Pedals - Speedplay Zero Stainless 210g
Saddle - San Marco Regale Carbon 179g
Bottle cage - Zipp 26g incl bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Last edited by Ozrider on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

drool... can't wait to follow along!

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

That stem looks like an update to the 2013 RXL--but not on the website yet. Any details?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks like an update to the graphics for 2014. From my experience, the Bontrager site isn't the greatest.

Please post photos of the frame when you get it.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

FIJIGabe wrote:Looks like an update to the graphics for 2014. From my experience, the Bontrager site isn't the greatest.

Please post photos of the frame when you get it.

The steerer tube cutout is new; the entire design looks like an update. Pictures appreciated when it arrives!

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Great to see another 5 series project.

regards.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Good looking Trek to be sure. Since you've already got the Parlee and the steel bike, what's your time share plan? Lots of nice choices.

So, how long until chain stay mounted brakes are the new norm for road bikes industry-wide?

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@TrekUK - thanks for the inspiration with your build. I am looking forward to seeing how this project pans out with components I currently have in my garage, but I am sure the urge to upgrade some parts will take over before long.

@Johnny Rad - timeshare, now I hadn't thought that far. The steel Reynolds bike will be used for a midweek recovery ride and some cruisy sunny day rides only.
The Trek will be my workhorse used for commuting to work, group training rides and racing crits over the summer. The Parlee probably will still be my long training ride bike in the hills, used for road races over the winter, specially on courses with a few climbs, and longer events.

HAKS

by HAKS

I can highly recommend the Ultegra Aero brakes for the Trek if a) you don't like the stock Bontrager and b) don't want to go Dura-ace. I just built a 2013 Trek Madone 6.5 bike up with Ultegra 6800. Got the brakes from the UK for $200 shipped to Aus. I can link you to some pics of my build (similar colour scheme) if you are interested.

Looking forward to watching this build after doing one myself. Absolutely love my Trek 8)
Last edited by HAKS on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@HAKS - I would love to see your bike, any ideas are welcome right now.

HAKS

by HAKS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79636127@N08/

Got heaps more photos of you want any specific areas. And before anyone asks the seat position was a direct copy (fit wise) from my previous bike when this shot was taken. I have since had a bike fit and it is further forward now :P

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

HAKS,

Just took a look at your photos. Nice bike, but WOW! That saddle position jumps out as being WAY too far back. Please post photos of the new saddle position, because that is SCARY!

Second, the Ultegra brakes are good, but I would go with the Bontrager brakes for two reasons: weight and aerodynamics. First, the Ultegra brakes are heavier than the comparable Bontrager brakes, which are in turn, heavier than Dura Ace. There really is no reason to run the Ultegra brakes on the new Madone frame. Second, even if lighter (like the DA brakes), the Bontrager brakes were designed for maximum aero effect. Heck, even though they are heavier than DA, I would still option them, personally, due to the aero advantage.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I agree with FIJI. That saddle position needs to be changed. If it looks goofy, it probably is. :)

HAKS

by HAKS

Jesus even posting a disclaimer ppl still have a whinge about my saddle. Its further forward now, my bike fitter/physio says its fine, its comfortable, the bike is the right size and i'm riding better then I ever had so ner :P. Anyway this is not my build thread so i'm not going to bombard it with posts and pictures of my setup.

I admit I've never used the stock Bontrager aero brakes but from the few I have spoken to that have all said they didn't like them that much. However if they come included with your frame then by all means run them and make up your own mind. However as mentioned already I recommend the Ultegra ones if you decide on that route.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com