Trek Madone 5 Aero Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I just added a few upgrades today
I swapped my Exogram chain rings for some Praxis rings I had in the spares pile.
I also fitted Bontrager RXL wheels and a Bontrager XXX carbon stem.
I picked up the stem really cheap from another rider who changed to a 110mm stem after having his position adjusted.
I popped into my LBS to get a price on RXL wheels as I was looking for a lighter set of alloy clinchers, and was really lucky they had a very lightly used wheel set (still with all the warning stickers on) fitted with Bontrager R3 25mm tubeless tyres at about 40%. off the retail price including brand new tubeless tyres so I effectively got the wheels less than half price.
My impression so far is that a tubeless set up weighs about 180g more than equivalent tyres and tubes. As I got them free I'm going to give it a go and test them and see if they live up to the hype, and if the weight penalty is compensated for by improved ride quality, lower rolling resistance orpuncture resistance.
Being a WW at heart it seems rather counter intuitive to add weight to a bike specially tyres.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for posting this. Nice upgrades, too! I run the R3 (23c) tubeless on my Zipps, but noticed a 20g drop in weight between those and my old 23c Conti 4000s' tires.