Winter Project - Track bikes - ?s for those with experience

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

mythical wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:It appears that square-taper bottom brackets are the favored type for track racing. Anyone know why that is?
For a narrower Q-factor? Track bikes also typically feature shorter cranks. Track cycling is a great way to improve power and cadence. When are the bikes finished?

Bad ass looking wheels btw! :thumbup:

I'm out at sea with the Dutch navy until mid-November. I'll build the bikes when I get back........ just in time for mini-me's birthday.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Trying to decide on cranks. I ride 172.5 on the road. Common sense tells me I'll run a higher cadence on the track so I shorter crank is in order. I was planning on 170 but have had recommendations of 165 and down to 160.

What do you guys think?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm with you on all counts except the TT bike. I ran a 175 on mine. But, in hindsight, that was probably an error in judgement. I think I'll go with the 165. I'll likely put a 145 on my son's bike. Smaller is a challenge to find and he will outgrow anything I put on before the season is over....

SDP

by SDP

if your son is u16 check wheels he is allowed to race.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The only instruction I have found in the Dutch rule book is on gearing. But thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will apply when we get back to the U.S. next year.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'll finally return home next week and start the builds. All I need are stems and a crankset for my bike. All other parts are purchased and waiting patiently in the garage. My son's birthday is November 30th so there won't be an offical unveiling before that.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

1 of 2 nearly complete. This is my son's bike. Tires are not centered or glued... just stretching on the rims. Seatpost and bars will change. I have a white aero seatpost and a set of Nitto 36cm track bars on the way. Steerer will be cut once we work out his position. Chain will be something simple... probably an 8spd with hollow plates/pins.

Quality of frame construction is top-notch. This was a leftover frame with some shop wear, but only one scuff I really noticed and even then, you have to look for it. Fork is beautiful.

Parts:
Frame: Pure Team Track Frame (Youth)
Fork: Pure Track Carbon
Headset: BBB Integrated
Btm Bracket: Vintage American Classic Ti
Crank: Speedline Mini SX, 145mm (BMX Crank)
Sprocket: Answer Mini SX, 40t
Saddle: Selle SMP Junior Hell
Wheels: Chinese Carbon Tubualar with Novatec flip-flop hubs and bladed spokes
Cog: Steel 17t
Tires: Vittoria Pista CS
Stem: Bazooka 50mm (may change)
Bars: Nitto B125AA, 36cm (on the way)
Seatpost: Pro Stealth EVO Carbon, white (on the way)
Chain: TBD

His birthday party is in less than 2 weeks, so I have some time to finish it up. The trick is keeping it hidden.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Cool bike Ted!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Coming along. It should be ready for a debut at the Sportpaleis in Alkmaar next week. I spent half the morning trying to get a stray spoke nipple out of one of the wheels. Now I can glue on the tires. But I might need a beer first. hahahaha

BmanX

by BmanX

Beer is always on the work bench when I am working on the bikes. I can't wait to see how these turn out.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ted, have you ever ridden in Apeldoorn as well? I have seen the track over there, but not ridden on it. I'm planning to go there in about two weeks to see where my track skills are. Riding the track in Alkmaar was great fun!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Never been to Apeldoorn. My son has been invited to train with a club this winter so I suspect we'll be seeing a variety of tracks in the country. Next time you're in Alkmaar, let us know. I'll buy the post ride beers!

:beerchug:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Gotta change the gearing... max allowed rollout is 5.46m.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

OK. My son's bike is finished with the exception of handlebars. His track bars haven't arrived yet. Hopefully today or tomorrow. I also need to find a 16t cog to get his gearing right. At the moment, his bike is way under-geared.

I'm still waiting for cranks, seatpost, and stem to arrive for my bike. I went with the SRAM Omnium in 165mm. I decided to go with a 120mm stem and then try to match my road position as closely as possible.

Tires have been stretching on the rims for over a week. I'll start gluing tonight. My son gets his bike Sunday at his birthday party... just in time to begin a winter track program. He's going to be psyched!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Mini-Me got his bike today. Still waiting for the proper track bars and a different chainring. We need to dial his position a bit but I am waiting for the bars to arrive. He's a happy kid.

I also picked up a super-dork helmet for a steal. It matches his bike. hahaha