HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:15 am 

Well the build has resumed but I have been taking my time with it and making sure everything is how I want it. As usual when building from the frame up little issues always seem to bob up. I started routing the electronic cabling and with some tape and coat hanger wire it went through relatively hassle free. Cables were joined up to the junction box and fed into the down tube, as the bottom bracket doesn't have a plastic sleeve to cover the axle I was concerned that the cables might move when riding and suffer damage as a result. A little thinking time and I cut out a piece of this plastic coated board from the bottom of a reusable shopping bag.

IMG_0072 by Fixie82, on Flickr

This is hard wearing and flexible enough to cover the wires in the bottom bracket, easy to remove as well and with a little fine tuning fit snuggly.

I purchased the UDi2 from ProBike Kit and did not get a choice of battery holder so it needed to be shortened and machined out to fit the bolt heads. This is with a mate right now getting the necessary work completed. I made a start to help the process.

IMG_0075 by Fixie82, on Flickr
IMG_0076 by Fixie82, on Flickr

Next was the osymetric fitment, I was unable to get enough height from the front derailleur mount to prevent fouling so I purchased a new mount and did some filing to enable more room to move. I wasn't game to do it to the stock mount so used one from a Giant Trinity Advanced which luckily has the same bolt placement.

IMG_0073 by Fixie82, on Flickr

This is pre filing, its on now and works a treat.

I have also started the sanding process on the bottle cages etc. Its boring and dirty work and needs a sunny day with beer for me to really get into it

IMG_0074 by Fixie82, on Flickr

I was umming and ahhing about what stem to use and saw a post from Crashracer here with a custom made bar/stem combo, I was looking at the Predator Major Tom and searching for info on that particular combo, when Crashracers combo popped up. Full credit that guy is an amazing and has been answering my questions about the process and parts. I have managed to procure a System Six stem and have put it on to see how I like it. Hopefully I will have the time and nouse to make my own combo with the instructions provided by Crashracer if I like the aesthetic and can nail down the fit. For the time being it will be run like this.

Things still to do:

Decide on brake callipers - custom white Dura Ace 7970 might be the go, or some Revl's. There is also a guy here selling a set of THM forks from the Stock Fascenario 0.6 with the integrated brakes and if he drops on price I might jump on that. If I have everything else done and still no decision I will just run the ultegra's until I can make my mind up.
Sand stem, handlebar and seat post to match the matt finish of the frame.

At the moment its sitting in my office making me feel guilty about the slow progress

IMG_0088 by Fixie82, on Flickr
IMG_0090 by Fixie82, on Flickr
IMG_0089 by Fixie82, on Flickr

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:15 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:59 am 

As per usual I have been a bit slack but am getting stuck into the build proper. Below are some weight pics that might be of interest, other items not in the pics were already installed or are fairly standard.

I am playing around with making the cable routing neat, took a few routines through the Zipp Vuka to come at the best solution but I think I have it now. My only concern is aesthetically, the rear brake cable looks extra long but this is the shortest I can make it while still allowing full rotation of the bars. Also has anyone else used iLinks without the ferrules? They do not fit well in the Internal routing housing, I am going to experiment with some others I have lying around but may leave them off entirely as the cables fit snugly without them. I am using the 4mm ferrules with the calipers. See below for the routing as is, excuse the background.

Here is the latest progress pic with the sanded components.

Hoping to finish tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:05 am 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:16 am 

Aaaaannnnnddddd it's done! Still looking to change out the stem and possibly brake calipers. Had an interesting time tuning the derailleurs to eliminate slight chainrub at the front and it's still not perfect but it will do for now. Went for a decent spin this morning and going again tomorrow so will have more of an idea about handling and other ride characteristics to report back on.

For now, here are some pics.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 am 

IMG_0130 by Fixie82, on Flickr

A little build reflection and of course a ride report. The build went relatively smoothly, I just spent a bit of timing fiddling around with the cabling runs to make sure it worked both functionally and aesthetically and due to having the Di2 cable entry on the left side of the downtube it is hard to camouflage the wire. I have had time to work the kinks out from the build, slightly adjusting the handlebar tilt and shifter location as well as tune the shifting. The Osymetric rings provide a few hurdles during the initial setup and simply do not run as smoothly as a round ring with ramps and pickups. I spent close to an hour in a local shop just on the front derailluer in which we dropped it as far down as possible while being able to clear the outer chainring, adjusted the angle and worked the higher limit screws to help give a little more kick to the shift to the big ring. This all helped limit the chain rub that occurs from the size difference between the sides of the ring and the chain movement as it tries to straighten itself during the rotation. We couldn't tune it so it ran with no rub but it is substantially better now, next step would be spreading or bending the cage but that is drastic action. I also diagnosed an annoying click which turned out to the be the valve hitting the sides of the front rim under pressure, this was eliminated by simply taping over the valve.

IMG_0131 by Fixie82, on Flickr

As far as riding goes it's a little more lively than the Scenario but still very stable, I feel it would be right at home on fast long rides. The handling is excellent, stable in a straight line yet nimble enough that fast direction changes are no problem and it still rails a turn. The front end is a little different to what I was imagining and can feel a little wandery when out of the saddle, this may be a position issue as the 44cm Zipps are wider than what I was running and I am planning to go a little lower which will put more weight on the front wheel and might counter the effect. Its stiff everywhere and feels great under power, while still remaining comfortable.

IMG_0407 by Fixie82, on Flickr

I have fitted a training wheelset of HED Belgium rims, laced to a White Industries front hub and Powertap SL rear (G3 Internals). This is a 24/32 spoke combo and uses Sapim CX-ray spokes. Its a pretty solid and classy looking wheelset. I am using 25mm Continental GP4000s tyres and so far they are great riding, very comfortable and great in the turns. Also waiting on a Thomson X2 stem t be fitted which will hopefully complement the look of the frame. I am not a fan of the 3T arx-ltd aesthetically on the build.

IMG_0128 by Fixie82, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 pm 

Looks stunning, well done. Very tasteful :D

edit: and then i noticed the socks - I take it all back!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:58 pm 

Fixie82, it would be very nice to see the bike without the Instagram filter :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:36 pm 

Elrey wrote:
Fixie82, it would be very nice to see the bike without the Instagram filter :)

+ a million on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 am 

Very nice build, I bet you've had fun over Christmas smashing Beach Rd, Kinglake and the Dandenongs ;-)

How do you find the HED / Powertap wheel - I am looking at exactly this combo for my training wheelset when funds provail.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:50 pm 

I'll add to that.

Some nice, clean shots would be terrific.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 pm 

Like Storck!!!

Go to page Previous  1, 2