My Merlin Cielo Project - Open to suggestions

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HA HO

by HA HO

My name is Ha Hai Ho, the twin brother of Hai Ha Ho. I have been a frequent visitor to this site and have found the knowledge immeasurable and the vast spectrum of opinions quite comical.

I submit my first addition to the WW site with my baby Cielo named "Sugar" - because I think she is sooo sweet.

I wanted to to take some time out to thank some people who have helped make my dream come true during the last year and a half. Christina, who actually understands and supports my passion of cycling. My bike Crew- Hai H. Ho, Mike S., and Larry O., (AKA THE THREE STOOGES). There is really too many to name, but they know who they are. LBS - BIKE SPORT (IMHO Best in Houston). My friends and managers at work who are constantly bombarded with my bike lingo.

A quick note about my mission for my bike: think Black Tie Tuxedo. Anyone with a sense of culture realizes that the black tie tuxedo is an icon of pure class and elegance that will stand alone in any crowd of fashion fads and buzz. James Bond has always worn a black tux, and he is the ultimate BADASS with all the cool gadgets. I wanted to build a bike that would be a classic timeless statement of pure form and function, one that has style and elegance in spades.

There is an old adage that says, "The Devil is in the details." One fine detail of the Cielo that I love is the clean welding - like a beautiful roll of nickels. The other thing that I have never heard from any admirer is "Nice cookie cutter bike." Enough said for me. I hope you enjoy the pure ART as much as I have.

2003 54 CM. MERLIN CIELO (TLC -TI LUGGED CARBON) 1407.00 GRAMS
2003 CANE CREEK IS HEADSET 85.00 GRAMS
2005 LOOK HCS5 FORK 300.00 GRAMS
2004 CINELLI RAM BARS 400.00 GRAMS
CINELLI CORK TAPE 20.00 GRAMS
2004 RECORD CARBON DRIVETRAIN
FD 69.00 GRAMS
RD 180.00 GRAMS
CRANKS/CHAINRINGS/BOLTS 540.00 GRAMS
BB 190.00 GRAMS
ERGO ULTRA LEVERS 320.00 GRAMS
11-23 ALL TI REAR CASSETTE 142.00 GRAMS
HD CHAIN 280.00 GRAMS
SHMOLKE CARBON TOP CAP 5.00 GRAMS
BTP CARBON CLAMPS FOR ERGO LEVERS 10.00 GRAMS
NOKON HOUSING AND CABLES 100.00 GRAMS
SELLE ITALIA SLR CARBON SADDLE 100.00 GRAMS
M2 RACER POST (27.2) 83.00 GRAMS
BTP CARBON SET CLAMP (31.8) 10.00 GRAMS
2005 ZG BRAKES 178.00 GRAMS
RECORD CARBON BOTTLES CAGES 36.00 GRAMS
2005 X1 PEDALS WITH ALLOY INSERTS 130.00 GRAMS
2005 CONTROL TECH TI SKEWERS-OPTIMIZED 38.00 GRAMS
TI CRANK BOLTS FOR CRANKS(DEDUCTION FROM OEM) -15.00 GRAMS

BEATER WHEELS:
2005 AMERICAN CLASSIC 38 MM CARBON WHEELSET 1016.00 GRAMS
TUFO S3LITE - 20/22 430.00 GRAMS
TUFO SEALANT IN AC'S ( TRAINING SET) 20.00 GRAMS
TUFO EXTREME TAPE 10.00 GRAMS

TOTAL WITH AC WHEELSET 6084.00 GRAMS or 13.41LBS (Theory)

REAL WORLD TOTAL ON DIGITAL SCALE: 13.80 Lbs (Anyone know where the added weight is from?)

RACE WHEELS:
2005 BORA WHEELSET 1350.00 GRAMS
CONTI COMP 19/22 490.00 GRAMS

TOTAL WITH BORA WHEELSET 6448.00 GRAMS or 14.21 LBS (Theory)

REAL WORLD TOTAL ON DIGITAL SCALE: 14.61 Lbs

THE ABOVE WEIGHTS ARE MANUFACTER'S SUGGESTED IDEALS, AND HAVE BEEN USED AS A GUIDE.

NEXT STEP:

AX-LIGHTNESS ORION BRAKES
THM CRANKS
EXTRALITE HEADSET
CARBONSPORTS RD
CARBON FD HANGER
OPTIMIZED FD

Madcow will aid me in the next step process. I am open to any suggestions. Thank you.

HA HO
Attachments
DSC03141-Resized.JPG
DSC03140-Resized.JPG
DSC03136-Resized.JPG
DSC03135-Resized.JPG
DSC03134-Resized.JPG
DSC03132-Resized.JPG
DSC03131-Resized.JPG
DSC03129-Resized.JPG
DSC03128-Resized.JPG
DSC03127-Resized.JPG
HA HO - AND REMEMBER LOVE YOURSELF

kingtom

by kingtom

great :shock:

very well done. only with the saddle i wouldn't be happy. the ax would be lighter and more comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kingtom

by kingtom

great :shock:

very well done. only with the saddle i wouldn't be happy. the ax would be lighter and more comfortable.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Nice Tux!! Air in tires 18 grams, grease 4 grams, tips one cable ends 1 gram, rest is probably glue.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

congratulations on the build.

but, at the risk of being obtuse, i'll have to profess a preferance for white tie...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

That's one nice Merlin. Why are you changing the ZG brakes for AX? What don't you like about them? BTW I love the curve of the RAM stem/handlebar, sweet.
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

Dougan

by Dougan

Thats a nice build, I really like the way the wheels fork and stem go together, good choices.

I was thinking of changing my forks to the Look model you have but the decals wont go with the rest of my setup. Do you think that they could be removed or are they under a coat of lacquer?

KB

by KB

Dougan wrote:Thats a nice build, I really like the way the wheels fork and stem go together, good choices.

I was thinking of changing my forks to the Look model you have but the decals wont go with the rest of my setup. Do you think that they could be removed or are they under a coat of lacquer?
It's not such a big deal having the decals removed on Look forks. A local motor sprayers near me have done all my forks and cranksets. They just take off the top layer and remove and then recoat. Attached is a picture of forks I had some paint put on, but they removed the decals first.
Attachments
STORCK SIDE VIEW.jpg

KB

by KB

Should have added that it's a very nice build on the Cielo. Just needs some LW's now to make it perfect.

acg

by acg

Nice :D
I really like the way the colours of the Ram stem and the Boras match 8)

KB

by KB

As far getting the weight down, on my build above, I've just added some Extralite goodies (headset complete with expander 53g + Octaramp 50x34 rings 97g + chainset bolts 9g). On the Cielo a different bar and stem combo would bring the weight down significantly, plus there are some lighter wheelsets out there.

tcr

by tcr

Great build! nice to see something different once in a while... :D

kingtom wrote: with the saddle i wouldn't be happy. the ax would be lighter and more comfortable.

What, are you saying you've done a profile of his backside and know which saddle will suit him best?? :lol:

Sparta

by Sparta

Best looking bike I´ve seen in here. It´s great that you have put style ahead of weight in a few of your design decisions such as handlebars and wheels - instead of going up the ww beaten path of syntace / LW
Sic transit gloria mundi

HA HO

by HA HO

Thanks you all for your responses so far. Yes, it's true. I am guilty of putting style over WEIGHT. While there are many lighter options of some of the products, I went for a complete "look" of the bike. Have you ever heard of the idiot putting the $5,000 stereo in the $500 car. Like "Dubs" on a Pinto. Well, I am choosing certain products such the AX Orions over the ZG's for their asthetic appeal and a visual balance on the bike. The ZG's look pretty cool, but pale in comparsion next to the Orions ( at least for this project IMHO) The ZG's are no doubt very cool, but stick out like Prince Charles's ears. All you cars buffs can relate to this analogy - Like the Chrome mirrors on an Audi S4. "The devil is in the details." Thanks again Friends, Romans, Fellow WW....Ha
HA HO - AND REMEMBER LOVE YOURSELF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

HA HO - I think you're being a bit unfair on the ZG's, they can't stand out as much as Charlie's ears, he's more like Dumbo only twice as ugly :)