what build for a colnago master extra light?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

willy

by willy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kikkie

by kikkie

Alloy 11 speed altena! :smartass:

kov79

by kov79

Deda superleggera stem is much slimmer than most, I intend to use one and hope it will work ok since it's thin and has a lower angle

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Why not get yourself a Cinelli Grammo titanium ahead stem? It is 1 inch and looks very nice. It looks even better if you combine it with a Campy titanium seatpost.

Another option is a Deda Magic stem. It is a 1 inch stem if I am not mistaken and looks quite nice.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

If you get yourself a threaded Precisa fork, then you use this stem: http://www.ebay.de/itm/COLNAGO-ITM-STEM-LENGTH-130-mm-1-TYPE-ECLYPSE-22-2-mm-TOP-VINTAGE-1996-/190892596340

One of the coolest things I have seen in a long time.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

SWijland wrote:Why not get yourself a Cinelli Grammo titanium ahead stem?

As heroic as the Grammo looks, I've never seen a bike where it actually fits nicely, it's just too dominating. Maybe it would fit on a Lynskey Helix, though ;-)

xFree

by xFree

SWijland wrote:Why not get yourself a Cinelli Grammo titanium ahead stem? It is 1 inch and looks very nice. It looks even better if you combine it with a Campy titanium seatpost.

Agree with Grammo titanium stem & titanium seatpost.

Below is my Colnago built list -
Frame: Colnago Master Bititan
Fork: Colnago Star Carbon 1"
Component: 2010 Chorus 11s
Head Set: RECORD 1"
Seat-post: PMP Ti 27.2mm
Stem: Cinelli Grammo Ti
Handle bar: Cinelli 42cm
Saddle: SanMarco Regal Ti rail
Wheel: Neutron Ultra

s4life

by s4life

Thank you all for the suggestions.
This is where I am so far:
a) White fizik glossy bar tape with gel pads and white saddle (I have a san marco rolls for style or an arione CX for less weight and comfort.. not sure which one yet).
b) Record/chorus alloy/Ti seatpost or similar.
c) Nitto NJS b123 or 3ttt forma sl ergpower handlebar.
d) Record/Super record components for the most part, except the brake calipers which will be Chorus skeleton Alloy.
e) I am still deciding on wheelset. My current neutrons, mavic cosmic aeros, shamals.. or even Hyperons + tan side wall tubulars. Not sure yet. This could be the difference between a 17 or 16 pounds bike.
f) The real problem right now is to get a thread-less stem that does not look bulky!:(. The VO one is for 1'' 1/8' steering tubes, not for 1'', a shim would work but I am not sure I want to do that. Another choice is the 3t mutant stem, they are pretty hefty at ~230gr, but I think they look better -- they resemble quill stems the most out of all the ones I've seen.

I'll post pics over the weekend.

Thanks again!

s4life

by s4life

This pic will have to do for now. I went riding over the weekend and it was a blast:) a nice steel frame with super-record feels just soo nice....

I will probably change a couple more things -- polish seatpost, get a different bottle cage and record silver skewers -- but the rest is pretty much it. I like the stem here, not sure I'd like to change it for a grammo, but let me know your suggestions if you have any.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Very nice build!

I'd have gone with classic round handlebars though.

How is the ride?

I just acquired the opposite, a C40 with precisa steel fork, so carbon frame, steel fork and I actually like it a lot, smooth carbon feel on the rear end but springy and resonant steel on the front end, a great comfort bike.
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

s4life

by s4life

Thanks!
The ride is, the for my taste, one of the best I've tried. I rate it as supple and smooth, yet responsive, better than my C50 and far better than my CAAD9. It's all subjective, but seriously I don't think I wanna ride anything else for the time being:). Also, with the SR11 and the R-Sys SLRs, it's also relatively light. I am not too afraid to take it on steep climbings anymore:).

I think the more I look at it, the more I am agreeing with you about the bars. Any suggestions under $100? Oh I forgot, I am definitely changing the fork at some point. The flash fork is too fat and is forcing me to insert washers above the hub caps to avoid rubbing :(

C40s are pretty sweet... always wanted one. I am eyeing one with those HP stays, just like the C50s.

Cheers!
Axel

SalsaLover wrote:Very nice build!

I'd have gone with classic round handlebars though.

How is the ride?

I just acquired the opposite, a C40 with precisa steel fork, so carbon frame, steel fork and I actually like it a lot, smooth carbon feel on the rear end but springy and resonant steel on the front end, a great comfort bike.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

If you'll stay on 26mm bars I'd go with the Cinelli Giro d'Italia. Beautiful bars.

The reissue costs some $50 new.

I'm pretty sure you can get a used one ( or similar like the 3TTT Tour de France fir example ) for half that.

Otherwise if you go oversized the 3T Rotundo PRO would be my choice
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

those wheels and tires look amazing.. damn :)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

:thumbup: looks really good like that

s4life

by s4life

Thanks for the feeback guys!
and SalsaLover, thanks for the tips:) I've seen plenty of Giro d'Italia handlebars in ebay, I might just get one to see how it looks in the bike. Still a few details here and there before it's completely done... will keep posting photos as I make the changes. I guess the only part that is kinda hard to get would be the colnago carbon fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com