Caad8 105 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rgnoval

by rgnoval

Good day everyone! I need suggestions on my 2013 cannondale caad8 105 all stock except for token c22a wheelset.. current weight 8.4 - 8.5kg.. what should I upgrade first to shave a little weight? I plan to upgrade the groupset last.. thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

locktopus

by locktopus

Everyone will say wheels first, cockpit second. How light you go really depends on your budget.

If you're budget is restricted (which is what I am presuming since you bought a CAAD 8 instead of a CAAD 10), use the options below:

Wheels: Check bicyclewheelwarehouse or grab some chinese carbon wheels (tubulars will be lighter than clinchers) or scan the classifieds.
Cockpit: Lots of cheap light stuff on ebay (search hylix), or check the classifieds. Syntace would be a good option too.

If you're not, check out ax Lightness, Tune, New Ultimate, Schmolke, KCNC, POP, ENVE, etc... I'm sure others will contribute as well.

rgnoval

by rgnoval

@locktopus thanks for your help. Im happy with my c22a as they weigh 1.2kg (1st upgrade), ill be upgrading the cockpit next.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

theremery

by theremery

Collect a set of raceday tyres and tubes. If you have good install skills use latex tubes (especially for flat longer races) and tyres that roll nicely too (Go veloflex from Wiggle....corsas cost less than $40NZ each which is about 32$US....that's nothing!!...you WILL go faster on a set of these unless you are already using top tyres) They are lightish at about 180g (I use 20mm)and a good latex tube is about 65g but a light butyl tube is about 50g. Latex is a MUCH faster option, despite the weight.
Ti skewers can be under 35g, and cheap. J+L bolt on skewers are about 20g and cost v little.
Keep an eye out for a pair of top quality pedals with Ti spindles at a good price. Cheaper pedals can be 340g/pr plus. A light set is under 200g. In general, it is unwise to go for anything with a BUSHING over a bearing. Bearings roll better so stick with them.
Keep an eye out for a top quality light saddle. 100g can go from your bike easily and they often sell dead cheap (simple eg is an SLR, and old trusty favourite.....you can get those for as little as $50.....and flog your old saddle off for a fiver if it still looks ok.....$45 for up to 100g is a great return).
Make a spreadsheet and include a g/$ column. Save and buy a really good quality item that can go on your bike for a long time. I start light builds with Cranks, Pedals, saddle, tyres and tubes as the first steps. (assuming I have a LIGHT SET OF WHEELS ALREADY SORTED as you do).
{edit: Don't forget Veloplugs on your C22a's......only 5g/ wheelset and cheap to do, and being alu, you can use Latex tubes on all terains if you wish}
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

rgnoval

by rgnoval

@theremery thanks for the advise sir. Ill keep that in mind.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta