Need help: Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert parts

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

brokentelephone

by brokentelephone

Hi Guys,

It was recently my birthday, and my parents are very keen on purchasing me a gift. I purchased a Tarmac SL3 Expert last summer and as of yet, it is completely stock.

Aside from wheels (which I'm going to purchase at the end of the season), what parts generally give the biggest bang for the buck weight-savings wise?

I'd like to get a new all-carbon cockpit but haven't had the bike fit properly yet so am not keen on going ahead and buying bars/stem if they're the wrong size.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Budget probably around 2-400?

hzucker

by hzucker

The next place I would go would be the seatpost/bar/stem. the stock ones are strong but bulky and for 200-400 dollars you can probably get a decent alu bar and lightweight stem. I would save the money and upgrade the components asap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brokentelephone

by brokentelephone

Components? From Ultegra to Dura-Ace?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Welcome aboard! I ride with two guys who has these bikes, in Ultegra Di2 form. The bikes come pretty well equipped, but could definitely use better wheels (keep in mind the width of the wheels is very important here - don't go buying Zipp 303's!), and a better cockpit is advisable.

bikericer

by bikericer

Wheel width is huge on any bike now but I have 303's (Carbon Clinchers) on my S-Works Venge and they work great. I have 404's as well but they are older and the rim shape before the Fire Crest. Personally I feel the 303's would be a great match for your bike if they fit, I love mine. Had an older pair that were super light and demoed these last summer in Colorado. See what you can demo from your shop. Wheels are not cheap even if they are Aluminum and you should make sure you are going to like what you buy. I purchased a pair of Mavic Exalith Ksyriums and could not get them to shut up so I had to sell them for next to nothing just to get rid of them.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

303's won't fit on the SL3's. You'd be amazed at how narrow the space between the chainstays is.

brokentelephone

by brokentelephone

I appreciate the comments, especially about the wheel thickness as I hadn't thought of that and would probably go out and buy a set of wheels without test-filling them.

As far as components, I'd still like to upgrade some parts for maximum weight to dollar savings. Seat-post or ? As I said, stem and bar are gonna wait until I get fit professionally.

Thanks.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

first, get a professional fitting. then worry about throwing parts at the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brokentelephone

by brokentelephone

OK Seatpost it is....!

Thanks!