Help my build a budget bike!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nickl

by nickl

If you don't want to go with a Chinese direct frame, PlanetX & Ribble have some interesting options, eg http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRH ... n_frameset for $514, or lots at http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... rames/frar

Probably going to be heavier than a FM066SL, but might be easier to deal with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thprice

by thprice

Another option is PedalForce.
Approx $700-$800 Chinese frames but with US warranty and support.
In 2 years over 20,000 km on my CG1 ... no issues to date. :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

petepeterson wrote:i have sold both dengfu frames. the objections I heard were about the warrantee but you can get a new one cheaper than crash replacement...

Any second hand frame will have zero warranty support, even from big name brands as it only applies to original owner.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

I'm thinking second hand frames might be my best bet. If I'm going to spend $500-$700 for a new Chinese frame, I could easily get a used brand nane frame for the same costs. I think I paid $575 for my used sworks Tarmac. Are there any good frames that you'd feel comfortable picking up used(aka solid durable etc)?

moman

by moman

Scott CR1
Theres one on US ebay with 1 hour left at 450.
Sometimes get advertised over here for about $600 new.
I've seen them go for around £200-250 on UK ebay, a few years ago I missed out on one (with no damage) for about £90!!! Then we got real good at cycling and everyone seems to know what their stuff is worth now :evil:

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

So I somehow managed to grab a systemsix for $130 shipped on eBay...really hope it's in decent enough shape to use. Can't really beat that. Now I suppose it's time to start figuring out components. I have SRAM red on my SC but I'm switching to a rival wifli to accommodate a 11-32, wondering if I should get another wifli for the roadie...suggestions?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I have rival on my winter bike running 11-32. If you want to run shimano, a standard rear derailleur can take a 30 cassette.

53x12

by 53x12

Nscott1463 wrote:So I somehow managed to grab a systemsix for $130 shipped on eBay...really hope it's in decent enough shape to use. Can't really beat that. Now I suppose it's time to start figuring out components. I have SRAM red on my SC but I'm switching to a rival wifli to accommodate a 11-32, wondering if I should get another wifli for the roadie...suggestions?

SystemSix is a great frame, especially if it is a 2006-2007 model year. In 2008 Cannondale went into cost cutting mode as the SystemSix was complicated and expensive to build so they no longer used Hi-Mod carbon. Not saying the 2008 is a bad frame, it isn't. Especially for $130. Even if the frame isn't 100% cosmetically, as long as it is structurally good you have no issues.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

I figured it was a good place to start since I'm on such a tight budget. Besides, I've already got about $5k in my tri bike, might as well try for a $500 roadie haha

53x12

by 53x12

Yeah the SystemSix is an amazing bike. I think you did very well for yourself. Probably still the best frame Cannondale has made to this point. If there are some flaws in the paint (chips, scratches...etc.) you could always strip it and repaint it however you like. Speaking of which, I started doing that with my SystemSix. I need to finish that project now that I have some more free time.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Oooo I might do that. I do like the matte black look. The one I got is the black frame with white decals. I'm thinking of going down the sram gruppo road again, I do really like the way they shift. Anyone had any experiences with their low end stuff? I've only ridden Red and love it but thats going to be way out of budget for this ride.

53x12

by 53x12

I like SRAM as well. Have Red, Force, Rival on my various bikes. If you are going budget, nothing wrong with Rival. I have it on my crit/rainy day bike. Works just fine. Sure it doesn't have the refinement of Red or the lightweight, but it still works well. That might be your best bet.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

has anyone used the microshift stuff? thats about as cheap as you can find but i'm not sure i trust it... might just find some used sram gear.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

My only beef with the Microshift stuff is the external cabling from the shifter to the downtube.....kinda messy cockpit results, IMHO. Other than that I think it is functional.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has pm'd me and replied here. For my first post I've received help beyond what I could have imagined. From being a lurker for a bit, it goes to show how great of community you all have here. Thanks again everyone!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com