First road bike in 25 years - Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

2rismo

by 2rismo

I'm new. Be gentle.

Bought a 29er to chase my 8yo girl around on. Started spending heaps of time on it. Decided to buy a road bike.

Had a budget, did unspeakable things to budget, forgot I ever had a budget. Oops.

Trek Domane 6.9 Disc - 58

Was 8.4kg with a couple of bottle cages and DA pedals. Loving it so far and fitness is increasing to the point where I don't feel like dying after 30kms any more.

Build is as per factory (DA Di2, 160mm discs, carbon goodness everywhere etc) with Bontrager ion 700 R / Flare R lights, Garmin 1000 (out front), basic spares kit under the seat.

Have taken 2.5kg out of the rider so far. More to come (about another 4-5kg to go).

Was having some issues with discomfort so went and had a proper fit done the other day (on this thing - pictured). What a difference. Almost sorted, just need narrower bars (ordered).

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Welcome 2rismo!
Nothing to make fun of here.
What matters is that you are enjoying your bike.
Rather short reach and high stack it seems in the picture -> long legs and short chest and arms?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

welcome 2rismo, excellent choice, i didnt think 160 mm discs where used on roadies, is that the common size ? i thought 140 would be more than enough to make a 23 mm tyre come to a screaming stop ?

2rismo

by 2rismo

jdecraene85 wrote:Welcome 2rismo!
Nothing to make fun of here.
What matters is that you are enjoying your bike.
Rather short reach and high stack it seems in the picture -> long legs and short chest and arms?

Thanks mate. Yes re: leg length but the top shot is the day I picked it up and prior to the bike fit. The stem has subsequently been flipped and the seat moved back on its rails. Good spot!

2rismo

by 2rismo

michel2 wrote:welcome 2rismo, excellent choice, i didnt think 160 mm discs where used on roadies, is that the common size ? i thought 140 would be more than enough to make a 23 mm tyre come to a screaming stop ?

I'm sure 140mm would be enough but Trek spec 160mm on all their disc stuff. Don't know why. Stops like a champion though.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

160 is the UCI standard, so not a big deal. Congrats on the bike. Go put some miles (or km's) on it, and have a good time.

2rismo

by 2rismo

FIJIGabe wrote:160 is the UCI standard, so not a big deal. Congrats on the bike. Go put some miles (or km's) on it, and have a good time.

That makes sense. I've put about 400kms on it so far. I'm trying to average about 75km/week for now but have been doing more as the fitness comes.

fletch62

by fletch62

What is the fork to disc clearance like on the front? I had a 6.2 which the disc rubbed thru the paint due to being too close and eventually the fork was replaced.

2rismo

by 2rismo

fletch62 wrote:What is the fork to disc clearance like on the front? I had a 6.2 which the disc rubbed thru the paint due to being too close and eventually the fork was replaced.

Funny you should ask. The clearance is about 2mm less than it should be. Has worn through the paint and I'm going through the motions with Trek Australia now. I don't have any doubt the fork will be replaced as a result. Seems to be a known issue.

fletch62

by fletch62

I was in my lbs that i had the fork replacement done thru the other day, and they had the older model Domane and a newer one.
The newer one had a definite notch/indent where the disc and fork meet.
When i had mine replaced, i was told that Trek knew about it, there would be no recall and no redesign on the new model.
They ended up putting a new fork in and adjust the clearance via a spacer in the dropout somehow. Original clearance was under a credit card, which was .77mm and after the change i could get a card between fork and disc but it was still less than 1mm clearance.
I sold the bike due to the fact i waited 3 months to get the fork replaced and was then less than impressed with the clearance of the new fork. Otherwise the bike was brilliant to ride, and i would get a new one, this time with the direct mount standard calipers. I think the disc's were over kill for riding around my area.

2rismo

by 2rismo

On heavy front braking I can make the disc hit the fork through thermal expansion of the disc. It cools down and stops touching eventually and is quiet. It's the only thing I don't like about it but my LBS is on the case.

jooo

by jooo

Is this you by any chance?

2rismo

by 2rismo

jooo wrote:Is this you by any chance?

Guilty.

jooo

by jooo

Welcome.

I'm not a member there but I've lurked on PF in the past so I remembered the car :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'd go with 140mm discs. They clear up the space, and if you go with the Icetech rotors, I don't think you'll have heat issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk