Show us your Look 585 build thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I am looking around at getting a 585 frame. Trying to get some ideas of which way to go with the build. Thought I would make a 585 thread as I haven't come across a 585 dedicated thread. For all the love this frame gets and the top reviews, I am surprised there haven't been more threads for this frame. Figured you guys could post some pictures and build lists of your 585's and give me some ideas. Please go heavy on the details!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rico

by rico

In 2005 it was a great frame. But it's pretty seriously off the pace now. Having defected from Colnago to Look, via a 585 and then a 595, it's very nice to be riding a Colnago again. The 585 always felt a bit wooden and dead to me. The 595 was better, but then...ISP :?

Still I guess the value for money is very good now, and they were pretty well built frames. There were 585 threads (pretty sure I started one), but they would be about eight years old now.

sawyer

by sawyer

Mine is posted on the winterbike thread ...

Have to disagree with Rico on the liveliness ... always felt very lively to me, though mine is an Ultra. Certainly compared to the planks that are Giant TCR Advanceds (had two I got ride of) ...

Smooth riding frame that I've always found a joy to climb on. Rode it in RideLondon the other weekend and it wasn't too far off the pace :wink:

Where it is a bit behind is the front end ... less stiff than modern bikes so downhill it's a bit more vague, the plus side of that is the front end comfort.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

rico wrote:In 2005 it was a great frame. But it's pretty seriously off the pace now. Having defected from Colnago to Look, via a 585 and then a 595, it's very nice to be riding a Colnago again. The 585 always felt a bit wooden and dead to me. The 595 was better, but then...ISP :?

Still I guess the value for money is very good now, and they were pretty well built frames. There were 585 threads (pretty sure I started one), but they would be about eight years old now.

Rico, I'm going to have to disagree with you and echo what sawyer says. Sure frame technology and composite layup has come a long way since the 585 was first designed. But you could do a lot worse with selecting a frame than going with a 585. In terms of a bike that can do a lot of things really well, I think the 585 hits the spot. Even after all of these years. I still have mine and plan on keeping it forever. Just one of those frames once you ride, you realize if you sold it you would regret it and want to keep it. How much are used 585 frames going for now? I remember getting mine for $550 on eBay and was in great shape. Not sure what other frame you could get for $500-600 and still have a quality frame? Maybe the FM066SL or similar. But there is something special about a lugged frame. They are becoming more and more rare.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sawyer

by sawyer

Venerable 2006 585 Ultra with a lot of KMs under it's belt and another 60 today! :D
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thencameyou

by thencameyou

very nice indeed. still a lovely frame