2013 Cervelo R5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

As far as the newer R3 and R5s go, not too many problems (no more than any other company). The old R3s had the dreaded BB problem as you found so many times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

53x12 wrote:Look very nice. I like it. Just would have expected the build to be a little lighter with an R5 build.

Thanks...I thot 6.5Kg without even trying (no WW tuned parts) wasn't bad. You are right, I can definitely go lighter. I am securing some Reynolds Thirty Two tubulars which should drop weight to just a hair over 6.0 Kg.

Here is the frame/fork pics that I forgot to post earlier.

EM3

Last edited by em3 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

em3

by em3

edited

53x12

by 53x12

em3 wrote:Thanks...I thot 6.5Kg without even trying (no WW tuned parts) wasn't bad. You are right, I can definitely go lighter. I am securing some Reynolds Thirty Two tubulars which should drop weight to just a hair over 6.0 Kg.

Just to be clear I wasn't being critical. I think it is a great looking build. :thumbup: I just would have thought the build would be closer to 6.1-6.2 rather than 6.5. But looks like you have that sorted out with by planning some new wheels.

You still happy with the ride quality and feel of the frame?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fatbugger

by fatbugger

I apologize for posting on an old thread. I am looking to build a 2015 R5 with Campy SR groupset as my next build. Can you please elaborate what kind of a bottom bracket cup adapter you used on your build to accomodate campy UT cranks on a BBright shell. Also, did you use any loctite+primer for the installation of said cups. Appreciate the response.

GT56

by GT56

look at bbinfinite, one unit, no wiggeling out

em3

by em3

fatbugger, you need to use Campagnolo Ultra Torque BBRIght adapter cups, manufactured by Campagnolo. Your Cervelo dealer should have supplied them with your frame (if you requested) or you can find at most reputable shops that stock Campy. Be sure to use Loctite Primer/Activator 7649 and a liberal amount of Loctite 609 (on shell and cups). Use a bearing press to install...the Loctite will get sticky fast after applying so you need to press-in the cups quickly after applying. Also, keep the press on for 24 hours while the Loctite cures.

Also, the use of aftermarket "fixes" for the so-called press-fit creak (e.g. BBInfinite) are IMO misguided....if your press-fit cups do not hold after proper install with Loctite, then the frame is out of spec and should be replaced under warranty. I would never recommend a BBInfinite or other other workaround product on a new install. BBInfinite and similar products are good solutions for frames that have been ridden with improperly fitted cups where loose cups have grinded/worn down the BB shell out of spec, and Loctite can no longer fill the gap and fix the cups in the frame.

Good luck with the install.

EM3

fatbugger

by fatbugger

Thanks for the detailed response.

Given the hassle, I ended up ordering the frame with the rotor 3D+ crank (got a great deal from the LBS). Will see if down the line I want to swap the rotor with Campy UT.

em3

by em3

...u will STILL need to install the bb cups using Loctite, otherwise u WILL experience the dreaded press fit creak

fatbugger

by fatbugger

Thats correct. However, the bike is a dura ace version and has the crankset installed on it. They are stripping the parts as I already have the Campy SR 11 speed grouppo which I will be building it with along with bora one 35 clinchers. So long story short the Rotor Crank + BB are already installed on the frameset.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

I would really highly recommend the BBInfinite unit for anyone using campy cranks on a Cervelo.

Honestly though, probably wise to just keep with the rotor crankset...

fatbugger

by fatbugger

That was my thinking as well. I figured its prudent to keep the Rotor crankset with BB adapter than to try something myself. I am not as good as most other folks when adapting BB shells to cranks. I had a tough time adapting my first bike - a Trek Madone framest with BB90 shell to accommodate Campagnolo UT crankset. Had to eventually get it done by a local shop that deals with trek.

For my knowledge sake, how does one remove the adapters that are installed using loctite from a frame without damaging the BB shell.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

fatbugger wrote:
For my knowledge sake, how does one remove the adapters that are installed using loctite from a frame without damaging the BB shell.

That's one of the issues... you don't want to be removing them frequently, nor should you have to. Anything with an interference fit plus retaining compound will take a good whack with the appropriate tools to break loose. On frames where the bearings are fit directly into the shell with no cups, there are good bearing pullers to do the job. The process can't help but shave a bit of frame material with it. Do it enough times, and wear occurs. But for how often you might be doing this, it should be ok. Still, no substitute for the old threaded BB's.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fatbugger

by fatbugger

@Calnago - Thanks for the response. I have no experience with threaded BBs. However, from what I have read online, they seem to be better compared to any press-fit system when it comes to ease of installation or service. I have no intentions of changing my Trek Madone BB shell at any time in the future (I believe you would have had to adapt your emonda BB shell to adapt campagnolo UT crank). I hope I like the rotor cranks as much as I like the Campagnolo UT crankset to that I don't have to change it. However, I do wish the bike was a build with a complete Campagnolo grouppo rather than sticking a rotor crankset in the build. Oh well...

@EM3 - Sincere apologies. I had no intentions to hijack the thread. Thanks for your input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

fatbugger, the thread belongs to all of us....ur not hijacking at all.

Just a heads-up, I would suggest that you double check with the shop to make sure that the Rotor adapter cups have indeed been installed with Loctite 609. If you ride the bike without cups firmly secured with Loctite, they will very likely shift after a few rides, and begin the process of grinding your BB shell (ever so slightly) out of tolerance and potentially limiting your ability to use other adapter cups. After which, u will be limited to using only the heavier after market work around solutions like BBInfinite.

EM3

PS_I wonder what happened to the pics of my R5?