New member and a Kona Kula.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

craggle427

by craggle427

Hello everyone. :D

New member here posting for the first time, Be gentle on me..... :lol:

I currently have a 1997 Klein Mantra which is a lovely machine but can't really be described as lightweight. My riding habits have changed over the recent years though and rather than bombing down hills at a fair rate of knots I tend to pedal along my local cycle tracks now enjoying the country.

So, why the story you say, Well, I'm looking to build myself another bike more suited to light off road trail riding and was after some advice. I'd like to build something light as I've always wanted a light bike. I do however have a budget and want to build it myself over the winter months ready for using next year.

I've been looking at Kona Kula frames as they seem quite light and well built. There are a lot of differences though so does anyone know if the Kula frames for a year were all the same or did the frame vary with the standard Kula the supreme or the deluxe or was it simply equipment levels that changed? I've seen a nice, new 2012 Kula frame for sale and despite the garish orange and white stripe finish, I'm very tempted. Would a Kula frame be a good platform to build upon or have you any other recommendations maybe up to the £400 mark?

I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions soon enough.

Cheers

Craig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

craggle427

by craggle427

Should have mentioned I like Kona's, alway have. Just something about their appearance that does it for me? The frame I have found is 16" too. I'm not a tall chap so 16" or 17" is ideal for me.

Here are a couple of pictures of my current ride. A few so called "retro" parts on there now! :D

Craig.

mleebee

by mleebee

Awesome Mantra Comp! With the right parts I think you can get your Mantra into the 24pound range. My large Race is right around 26 and is by no means ultra light. The only carbon on it is the Monkeylite bar. The biggest hurdle for you would be the rear shock upgrade.

Image[/url]2013-02-12_14-51-07_146 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/122556607@N08/], [/img]