Slimming down my Look 585 Ultra

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pdxrouleur1

by pdxrouleur1

I have a 2008-2009 Look 585 Ultra (Large) with 10sp Campy Chorus (Compact crankset/12-25 cassette), HED Belgium wheels (Chris King hubs), Ritchey WCS 4-Axis stem, Ritchey WCS Evo Curve handlebars, Ritchey WCS Carbon seat post. I run Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps on the wheels. Saddle is a Fizik Arione CX. By my scale, the bike weighs 16.5lbs. I would like to get that to 15-15.5lbs. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I'd start at the wheels (most bang for your buck). Seems like you want clinchers, so not sure what your set weighs, but check the FarSports thread for carbon wheelsets around 1260g. Also, you can save more rotating weight on tubes, rim strip, and tires. I use VeloPlugs and Panaracer R'Air tubes. I think you can get lighter tires that are also more durable (Continental 4000S). Fizik Saddles aren't that light, but I ride an Aliante (carbon rails about 200g)
Other things to look at that don't cost a lot: Bottle cages (you can easily find < 20g and < $20 each), wheel skewers ( < 50g and < $40).
Once you start nit-picking, you can get Ti bolts (but those gains are going to be in the 100 grams range if you are lucky).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Good advice from the rowdy slug there.

Also, when you change your cassette and chain go WW - e.g. Record cassette and KMC 10X SL chain.

Likewise rear derailleur - if it ever needs to change.

Fizik Antares Carbon is a decently light saddle that might work for you - 150g ish.

Do you use lightish inner tubes? Max 80g please.

BTW ... your rig sounds very similar to my 585 Ultra (Medium) with Record 10. Great bike. I have the carbon Evo Curve bars on which are a lot nice in terms of comfort than the alloy ones - though only about 20g lighter.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: