Parlee Z-Zero :: ISP, Di2, and *Really* Red - now 6.31 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

Always a fan of Parlee's but wow yours is exceptional. Looking forward to following the progression of your build.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

That is just awesome,
Pity about the weight, but I'm sure the ride will be sublime.

I'm also really surprised at the weight as I have an XL Tall Z5 that is about 970g.
That said, my bike weighs in at 6120g with Edge 1.38 tubulars and 6350g with FFWD F6R Tubulars, and to be totally honest I can't feel the 230g difference when swapping wheels.

I know you might be disappointed with the weight, but looks wise and ride quality you have a bike that will be damn hard to beat.

Looking forward to seeing it built up and s ride review.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsinclair

by jsinclair

great looking frame!

i think you might be being a little unfair when it comes to the weight. this frame is definitely bigger than that 750g show frame they were exhibiting. the ISP isn't really a simple extension of the seat tube and i imagine that a fair bit of extra carbon goes into making it strong enough. im not sure if custom geo would have an effect on weight but maybe they have to be a little more conservative with the layup when working with different geometries?

even if the total paint weight was 250g, that is still probably not that much for the type of paint you've ordered. like less than 2/3 of a can of coke. for multiple layers. parlee employ some pretty slick painters (read: artists), and i would trust them to keep it to the bare minimum whilst still looking as good as it does. the definitely aren't amateurs at what they do.

to think that going up a size, adding an ISP and having candy apple red paint would only add 150g is maybe a little unrealistic, something that is obviously easier to appreciate in hindsight than at the time you ordered the frame. i actually think that 1041 is pretty light all things considered, you shouldn't be disappointed.

btw, the plain gloss bar looks great, maybe give that a go before you try something else. more logos on this bike will only draw attention away from the frame, which would be a crime.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Your geo changes to the intersection of the TT and HT make it look 100x better than his usual Tall frames. Great choice!

And figure out how to capture the spectacular paint job for us here on the net!

kfreytag

by kfreytag

@jsinclair - As I've learned more about the Kandy Red paint process, it's become clear to me that it's not only complex, but most certainly where the weight comes in. It takes (usually) eight coats of paint to get the finish they (and I) want. Given that, I'm not at all surprised at the added weight.

I've spent the evening *starting* to pull it together. I ran into a hitch, however, as the seat mast topper than I got is a setback Ritchey 1-bolt (25mm setback) when I designed the geo for no setback and was expecting a Tune Cappy. I initially didn't notice because I had them paint the topper Kandy Red as well. I'm sure that'll get resolved in short order.

I also put the gloss bars on there for now, as a placeholder. I'm with you on the logos. That's why I designed the bike with only one Parlee logo on the downtube and the Z-Zero logo on the headtube. I've got a logo-filled bike in my CAAD9. I want this one to be a tad more "classy", if a pearlescent red bike can be "classy" (or is that "klassy"?)
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

@Johnny Red - Thanks. Being able to change that headtube intersection point was important to me (aesthetically). I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and the extended headtube on my previous Z3 tall always felt awkward.

I'll get the bike out in the sun this weekend (even if it isn't complete) and get some pictures.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

jsinclair

by jsinclair

just to reiterate, this bike is/will be great!

edit: and kudos for the mechanical drivetrain!

LionelB

by LionelB

250g for paint, whatever the paint is is a lot. I do not think you have 250g of paint and finish in there,

kfreytag

by kfreytag

More update on parts:

Tires, Glue, and Air

In what may appear to be a rip in the space-time continuum, I've glued-up the tubulars (the previous picture of the ENVEs was taken quite some time ago). The tires are Vittoria Evo CS 320tpi in 25mm glued with Mastik One (3 coats on the rims, two on the tires). I didn't weigh the tires before gluing them up, but they *should* weight about 250 or 260g each.

Tires are pumped up to 95psi here:

Front Wheel : 838g (+288g over bare wheel)

Rear Wheel : 1,019g (+297 over bare wheel)

Total Wheelset w/ Tires, Glue & Air : 1,857g

Which ain't too bad. I'm confident I could drop >200g in just tires by slapping on Tufos, but that's not really the goal here. My goal is have a *reasonably* lightweight yet fantastically-riding and aesthetically-beautiful bike that makes me smile every day.

Plus, I'm still thinking about ENVE 25s w/ Alchemy hubs for "special" wheels...

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Skewers : 38g

Carbon-Ti Special X-Lock Titanium Road. Is this the worst name for a product of all time or what? I mean, they make great stuff, but they absolutely must hire a Product Marketing Manager.

These skewers have been lambasted before for not having enough clamping force or not having enough clamping surface; I've been using them for three years on another bike and they have never slipped. They are a beauty to behold.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Headset : 63g

This is a mashup of the CaneCreek 110 and the CaneCreek 40 given Parlee's really weird taper on the fork for the Parlee Z-Zero. Like I mentioned above, I had the LBS install the crown race on the fork, as I don't have the appropriate "whacker" to do it, and that seems like a useless investment.

The bottom bearing (the 110) weighs 29g:

The top bearing (the 40) with spacers weighs 34g:

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Saddle : 146g

Here's a head-scratcher for you.

fi'zi:k markets the new Arione 00 saddle as 135g on the packaging. That's a pretty brash thing to do when you pop it out, throw it on the scale, and get this:

I actually couldn't believe that it was right, so I double-checked it on my other scale and got the exact same number. Frankly, I think that's just hilarious. Why in the world would you put that on your packaging as your primary value proposition for this saddle and then completely fail to deliver? :roll:

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

fa63

by fa63

You should know by now that Italian scales are calibrated differently :) Every Italian component I have purchased has been over the claimed mass.

PSM

by PSM

11 grams. Your'e gonna die.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com